Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #1

Faux Leather Furniture

We own a 2013 Sanibel 5th wheel. We are full timers. We had about 24 days left on our 2 year warranty. In May we noticed the leather on the back of the couch separate & start to peel. We contacted the dealer who in turn contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not interested. Our dealer said if we bought a couch that would fit they would cover $400. After much searching we found a couch at Leon's that would do the job. Price $1040. Now we notice one of the chairs is having the same problem. Makes me angry to think furniture would only last 2years. Is anybody else having this problem & if so how did you resolve it.
Idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

We have a Prime Time Crusader that has the same problem. We had it looked at when we were at the Rally in Goshen and are still waiting to hear back from Prime Time.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Faux Leather Furniture

Thanks Jim we would be really interested in the outcome. Good luck
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #4

Isn't 'faux' leather really vinyl?
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Faux Lather Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Isn't 'faux' leather really vinyl?

Bonded leather is usually a thin layer of leather stuck to some type of man made backing material - usually a polyester product

Not exactly the same as faux leather, which is an artificial vinyl material but not really quality real leather either

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

Our last trip out our 7 month old puppy placed a paw in one of the platform rockers in our 2014 Avenger and slid it across the seat. She made a tear in the leather about 1 1/2 inches long. Right then I covered the chair and sofa with thick "throw" that we had in the trailer. I'm afraid we will be looking for furniture very soon
Old 10-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Faux Leather Furniture

I don't really care whether it's vinyl or whatever my point is why would they use such crap & not stand by the product. We all feel we paid good money for our RVs & I don't think anybody wants to be forking out for new furniture within a 2 year period especially in a kid & pet free zone.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

Try contacting PT through their web page to give them a reminder......Prime Time Contact Us
Hopefully that will help.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

I hate to say it, but after owning four new rigs...its apparent that almost every item in rv's is entry level quality. Sure I paid 55K for my dream trailer, but its still about the cheapest materials that the manufacturers can come up with. I dislike knowing that its the case but I love camping so I put up with the lack of quality. I hope you replace the furniture with better quality stuff, pay the difference and get back to loving your rig.
FLY4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #10

See what it would cost to have it recovered. $400 is a generous offer from a dealer that had nothing to do with the way it was made...
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
BRD

My Crusader is a '14 295RST furniture is flaking away (Lane couch & theater seating). I'm out of warranty but I think it should last for longer than 2 years (it started about 6 months ago). It was marketed as residential furniture, I would expect it to last. We hardly camp and run the fantastic fan to keep the heat out. It was one of the reasons I did not buy a new Crusader at the show this week.
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #12

I'd say the overall quality of your furniture matches the warranty pretty well. Sounds like it's time to buy new (furniture). Myself, I never get leather (or faux leather aka: vinyl) anything. Fabric is longer lasting, wears better and sits more comfortable.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #13

There are many manufacturers that use this cheaper furniture instead of real leather, including makers of motorhomes as well

There have been several threads on this same subject....usually ending with the owners buying new furniture as it seems to happen after the warranty is up....kind of shady how it just so happens to last long enough to end up being YOUR expense - like they have already calculated the life expectancy of inferior furniture 😬

Old 01-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #14

As an aside, the 'leather' seats in your vehicle (if you have leather seats) are only leather on the seating area (where your butt and back go). The rest is the 'faux' (fake) leather. Looks like but really isn't. I ought to know, my BIL is an interior design engineer at Ford. He pointed that out to me....

I don't much care for leather or fake leather seats. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Not my thing.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
As an aside, the 'leather' seats in your vehicle (if you have leather seats) are only leather on the seating area (where your butt and back go). The rest is the 'faux' (fake) leather. Looks like but really isn't. I ought to know, my BIL is an interior design engineer at Ford. He pointed that out to me....

I don't much care for leather or fake leather seats. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Not my thing.

Right 👍🏻

Very expensive to get real all leather furniture anywhere so they skimp where they can

But we have all leather recliner by Lazyboy that is not that impressive either for what it cost at over $1000

Even with cleaning and conditioning it is not that nice looking as you would expect

Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY4FUN View Post
I hate to say it, but after owning four new rigs...its apparent that almost every item in rv's is entry level quality. Sure I paid 55K for my dream trailer, but its still about the cheapest materials that the manufacturers can come up with. I dislike knowing that its the case but I love camping so I put up with the lack of quality. I hope you replace the furniture with better quality stuff, pay the difference and get back to loving your rig.

C the MFG's make these the cheapest they can, but what really bugs me is we spend a ton of $ on these and in most cases the dealer and MFG want nothing to do with us after the initial purchase. One reason I will never spend a lot of $ on a camper again and never buying new bc you gain nothing out of spending all your $ on a new one just to be the only one to use all of its features. I personally think certain things need a longer warranty, but until they do that and stand behind what they MFG it will be a quality owned RV for me only.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #17

There are units out that are built right, from the get-go, with quality materials and exceptional fit and finish but the price of admission is commensurate with them, case in point, Airstream. All quality, a forever unit with a price to match.

Another is Prevost if you want a motorhome. Custom built to your exact specifications with top shelf components and real leather furniture, not 'faux' leather, quartz countertops, not formica and real bathrooms with porcelain tubs and toilets. Again uber expensive and again, a lifetime investment.

You won't find a 'deal on either but you do get what you pay for.... and a warranty to match.

It's all about the capacity of your wallet and what you want.

They are out there if you can afford it.

Wish I could.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
See what it would cost to have it recovered. $400 is a generous offer from a dealer that had nothing to do with the way it was made...
Don't think you can find an upholstery shop that could cover it for $400 labor plus materials would easily push it well above $400.

Was at my local camping world and for $1k you can get a replacement two seat trifold unit. One's camping world had on the showroom floor were way nicer than what PT installs hands down better.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote