Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Finally Went Camping, A serious issue. Help

It has been a long time since I have been on the forum because we have not been able to camp for a while. Well not camping means the 318BHS is sitting on the storage pad all closed up.
We have an annual tradition of camping on Thanksgiving week so we were excited about dusting it off and using it.
But as with most things that sit for over 6 months without use, that is when some problems crop up.
#1 - there was standing water in the "in floor" storage bin in the rear bunkhouse. We opened it up to discover a moldy mess with about 2" of standing water. So the water has been there a while. I have no clue how this would even be remotely possible. Our first day camping was rainy, so we cleaned it all out, after the rain there was a couple of cups of water in it.
Has anyone else had this issue?
#2 - While connected to the city water source, our fresh water tank is filling up. My guess here is that water is back flowing thru the water pump into the fresh tank. I think this is an easy fix. I cycled the pump a few times but it is still leaking in.
#3 - It is cold where we are camping, down into the lower 20's high teens at night. There is excessive sweating in the corners which would indicate poor sealing in the corners allowing cold to infiltrate in. Is anyone else experiencing this?
#4 - The gas lines connecting the tanks to the trailer leak like a sieve. I soaped them up and every crimp connection leaks. Has anyone experienced this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We will be taking it to our dealer Monday after we get back, but I would like to know if these are common issues or I am the unlucky one who got these problems. I have already had serious floor issues, but prime time stepped up and fixed those.

Thanks in advance.
HAARubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon View Post
It has been a long time since I have been on the forum because we have not been able to camp for a while. Well not camping means the 318BHS is sitting on the storage pad all closed up.
We have an annual tradition of camping on Thanksgiving week so we were excited about dusting it off and using it.
But as with most things that sit for over 6 months without use, that is when some problems crop up.
#1 - there was standing water in the "in floor" storage bin in the rear bunkhouse. We opened it up to discover a moldy mess with about 2" of standing water. So the water has been there a while. I have no clue how this would even be remotely possible. Our first day camping was rainy, so we cleaned it all out, after the rain there was a couple of cups of water in it.
Has anyone else had this issue?
#2 - While connected to the city water source, our fresh water tank is filling up. My guess here is that water is back flowing thru the water pump into the fresh tank. I think this is an easy fix. I cycled the pump a few times but it is still leaking in.
#3 - It is cold where we are camping, down into the lower 20's high teens at night. There is excessive sweating in the corners which would indicate poor sealing in the corners allowing cold to infiltrate in. Is anyone else experiencing this?
#4 - The gas lines connecting the tanks to the trailer leak like a sieve. I soaped them up and every crimp connection leaks. Has anyone experienced this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We will be taking it to our dealer Monday after we get back, but I would like to know if these are common issues or I am the unlucky one who got these problems. I have already had serious floor issues, but prime time stepped up and fixed those.

Thanks in advance.

#1 - Is the carpet wet in any area leading from the toy well to a wall or slide?

#2 - Does sound like the pump is leaking back. Could be excessive pressure from the "city source" causing blow by. Maybe getting a good quality pressure regulator will help.

#3 - No avoiding the sweating at those temps. That is normal. "Cracking" a window to let out some of the moist humid air might help a little.

#4 - Sounds like cold weather shrinkage between the rubber and mettle crimps. Replacing the lines seems in order here.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
#1 - Is the carpet wet in any area leading from the toy well to a wall or slide?

#2 - Does sound like the pump is leaking back. Could be excessive pressure from the "city source" causing blow by. Maybe getting a good quality pressure regulator will help.

#3 - No avoiding the sweating at those temps. That is normal. "Cracking" a window to let out some of the moist humid air might help a little.

#4 - Sounds like cold weather shrinkage between the rubber and mettle crimps. Replacing the lines seems in order here.

#1 - That is what is really strange, neither the carpet, or the wall is wet. The carpet looks puckered between the wall and the bin, but that is a narrow area and I think it has always been that way. If water is leaking around the window, could it migrate down the wall, on the bottom side of the floor and get in it that way, it is real strange. Maybe someone from prime time can weigh in here. We are expecting rain, so I am going to watch it and see where it is coming in.

#2 - I always use a quaility pressure regulator to prevent blow outs in the system. I could not hear anything, the only reason I realized it was water began over flowing out of the fill hole and dripping on the ground.

#3 - I get the sweating, but in the corners kind of bothers me, it indicates poor sealing between the panels at the corners, nothing I cant live with, but it does bother me that moisture may be forming in the wall.

#4 - I never knew that gas lines shrink in cold weather, I guess once they shrink thay dont go back. No biggie replacing them.

Thanks for the info. It is the leak that has me bugged more than anything.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

Hi, do you remember if it was raining when you put the slides in, if so the roof of the slide holds lots of water. A slide topper will solve that issue if that is what occurred.

You can place a small hole In the interior wall and fill the area where the sweating is occurring and spray some of that foam insulation in between the inner and outer wall. It is very light and seals up and insulates everything. Lowes or home depot sell it cheap.. good luck
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #5

It was dry when it went up. It occurred with the slides closed.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #6

We've camped in VERY cold temps (as low as -5F) and have not had any leaking of our LP connections. I wouldn't be messing with any leaks. Replace hoses if need be.

Is your rig still under warranty? If so see your dealer about your issues right away.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #7

1 - I would definitely expect a leak - time to check the caulk everywhere near it. Could it be related to the back flow issue from the city connection? Did your FW tank over flow?
2 - I believe the check valve is located at or in the water pump. Reducing pressure is a good idea but the pump may need replacement. Could be there is some dirt or construction debris in the valve so I'd recommend inspecting it.
3-Sweating is condensation. It does not indicate an air leak (but if there is one, there is your water leak too I'd bet). I would expect the corners have less insulation, therefore a colder area (like the window panes) and you will get moisture. We get it in the bedroom closets. For a really long term camp out, a dehumidifier would be an idea.
4-Never had a hose fail, but sounds like that one was built by the new guy on the assembly line. It happens. Good you found it.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
1 - I would definitely expect a leak - time to check the caulk everywhere near it. Could it be related to the back flow issue from the city connection? Did your FW tank over flow?
2 - I believe the check valve is located at or in the water pump. Reducing pressure is a good idea but the pump may need replacement. Could be there is some dirt or construction debris in the valve so I'd recommend inspecting it.
3-Sweating is condensation. It does not indicate an air leak (but if there is one, there is your water leak too I'd bet). I would expect the corners have less insulation, therefore a colder area (like the window panes) and you will get moisture. We get it in the bedroom closets. For a really long term camp out, a dehumidifier would be an idea.
4-Never had a hose fail, but sounds like that one was built by the new guy on the assembly line. It happens. Good you found it.
The FW tank did overflow. I never hook up any water source without a regulator. With that being said, I am sure it is the backflow check valve leaking.

The rain water leak issue is unrelated to the sweating and condensation, it occurred during warmer weather while the unit was in storage, with the slides shut and the HVAC off.

The trailer is 2 years old and well taken care of and stored properly, albeit not covered. We are expecting rain and I am going to monitor the leak situation while we are waiting to get it to the dealer.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #9

Are you sure your fresh water tank and city connection are labeled correctly? There should be no tank connected to the city water connection. If you connected the city water to the FW tank, then most likely the tank is over filled and found a place to drain itself. If the water comes from above, you'll notice it on the walls and ceiling(staining). Check your local Big Box for a moisture meter used by home inspectors.
That's a lot of water and I do not believe that condensation is your issue. All I can say is HMMM? Good Luck with that!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #10

Since the water system piping is shared by the both the city water connection and the pump for the holding tank water, they connect somewhere. I really think the FW tank filling is check valve issue. Since the water got in the bin during storage with nothing connected, it has to be a leak from rain water.

I was hoping someone else on the forum had water in their "in floor" storage so I, at least, would not be alone in this deal
Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon View Post
#1 - there was standing water in the "in floor" storage bin in the rear bunkhouse. We opened it up to discover a moldy mess with about 2" of standing water.

1) Sorry, other than what was mentioned, I can't help. Water tends to seek the path of least resistance and may be coming from an unusual source.

2) Your water pump internal check valve is leaking. This can happen for several reasons (used only compressed air to winterize, dirt in water, just plain stuck valve). Only repair is to replace the pump head or the pump. There are several threads on the subject.

SHURFLO Check Valve Kit at West Marine

3) This has been covered pretty much

4) Sounds like your pigtails need to be replaced.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #12

Just an update. We had rain that allowed me to monitor this leak that is putting water in my in floor storage bin in the rear bunk house of my 318BHS.

It was not a large rain, but it was enough to put water in the bin. The camper is sitting level, not plugged in with the slides closed. The slides were closed prior to the rain, so those crazy slide toppers are not needed to prevent this issue.

I felt the carpet all around the area from the top, it was dry. I felt the back wall, it was dry.

As I felt under the wood trim that is inside the bin around the top edge, the side running parrallel to the back wall was soaked. You can feel the carpet edge. So I guess the wood trim is used to secure the carpet the is rolled over the edge.

I think the water is inside the panel and is getting in around the window. The reason I think this is that the large door that covers the outdoor kitchen fills with water on mine as well, so it is possible that water migrates inside the laminated panels.

I really dont like this leak at all and would like some insight from prime time if they are still active on this board. It is scheduled to go to the dealer on the 19th and I am afraid this is going to be a very expensive "out of warranty" repair.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

A thought. Check all your windows around where you are seeing water.

Mine have a pressed in (punched hole) "drain" that is supposed to drain rain water to the outside wall. In one of my rear windows the two "holes" was VERY small (not completely punched through) and dirt had blocked them. This allowed water to fill the track and wick back inside. The wall under the window was not wet, but the carpet under it was. That was because the water was going down the inside between the inner part of the window mount and the window assembly.

I drilled the holes larger and the problem went away.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

Now were talking. I am checking that ASAP.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #15

Well, we were finally able to get it to the dealer and the water getting in the floor bin is from the outdoor kitchen door filling with water and leaking to the inside. I believe I have read on a number of posts about the issue of water getting inside this particular door from the top.

If anyone else has had this problem please respond.

I want to make sure the repair that the dealer is suggesting is the proper fix or if prime time has issued a known good repair.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #16

I have a 2012 318BHS. We don't have a floor bin in that year model, but I did notice some damp carpet in the very back in the same general area you are describing.

I suspect it is somehow getting in via the outside kitchen and caulked everywhere that I could think of. Unfortunately, I had to cover it over for Winter and haven't had a chance to see if I was successful.

Did you ever solve the mystery of where the water was coming in from?

Thanks in advance.
phrogdriver93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #17

Mine is also a 2012, it is strange that you do not have the in floor storage, I thought that was standard.

The dealer is telling me it is coming from the outdoor kitchen door, I am going there tomorrow to see it in person and have them show me the evidence.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post

You can place a small hole In the interior wall and fill the area where the sweating is occurring and spray some of that foam insulation in between the inner and outer wall. It is very light and seals up and insulates everything. Lowes or home depot sell it cheap.. good luck
You probably already know this, but while expanding foam is good for insulating crevices, be very careful with it. That stuff expands and too much can buckle your inner or outer wall.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #19

please post some pics where it is entering the kitchen door
robm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #20

Here is where it is getting in. The rusty latch plate occurred over time but has really gotten bad over the last 6 months. I have noticed on the newer units that prime time is no longer using the slam latch on this particular door.

Its funny how things seem ok until they start looking really bad. I knew that water was gathering in that area but I could see any evidence it was getting in until we opened the floor bin after being stored 6 months.

At that point this is what we found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140117_124144.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	45075

Name:	20140117_124226_1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	45076