Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

First time travel trailer

Purchased a 2011 lacrosse 305res and with just one shake down trip last fall we intend to progressively outfit it with needed gear and take longer trips in and about our home state of Michigan this coming year. We have a weight dist hitch with friction sway bar and a 2005 ford f150 with the 5.4 triton v8. Ford's towing specs rate this truck at 8300 pounds towing capacity.

The trailer dry comes in at about 7500 so with passengers and gear we will most likely be a few hundred over on a weekend trip. This does not bother me any since the truck seems to haul the load reasonably well on the road and will plan on replacing the truck in the next year or so with still a f150 yet one with approx 9500 pounds of tow capacity. If someone has a similar situation I would be curious on their experience with a similar slightly over weight trailer/truck combo. Thanks in advance.

Btw, for a first trailer I was planning on getting a smaller unit yet this one landed in front of us last fall and got a great deal on it. I am glad we did since my research points out that it is a well designed and manufactured unit with many happy owners.

Ps. Does anyone have a checklist of recommended gear to bring in the trailer?
pebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
sji

Where did you purchase your trailer? Do you enjoy the 305RES? We had a 2011 that we traded in last fall. It was a great trailer, not one issue with it.
sji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Purchased from a private owner in michigan. Looking forward to using it this coming year.
pebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

I have a similar situation. We have a 2014 327RES Lacrosse and I tow with a 2013 F150 Super Crew w/EcoBoost. Truck is rated to tow 9600 pounds. Trailer sticker weight is 8772 pounds. I know loaded out we are at or slightly over the GCWR. Truck has no problem pulling or stopping the rig, but I can tell the trailer is about all the chassis of the truck can handle. It's really just a "feel" rather than anything specific. Previously drove a 2009 F250 diesel. Too much truck for a daily driver. Would not have known this trailer was behind it though. IMO, ideal truck would be a F250 w/ EcoBoost.....Ford???
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Just my 2 cents. Thats too much weight for any 1/2 ton. Get 3/4 ton truck you will feel the difference.
But if your gonna tow it anyway,
Recommend beefy LT tires on any truck not P rated.
Recommend Trans cooler and oil cooler.
Air bags help as well.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

As far as what truck Oakhillfarm nailed it. It is all about feel. Is the tail wagging the dog - do you feel pushed around in corners or when bus/semi traffic passes? Can you climb grades without watching temps spike? There is a balance of course with needing a daily driver but really a 30ft plus trailer will push most 1500 trucks to thier max if not over. There are exceptions like the ecoboost with the hd tow package. Many of us have been through starting with a half ton, upgrading to 2500hd/diesel and some even have downsized back to smaller trailer and 1500 again. It is just about the right tool for the job and if you feel unsafe - it likely isn't. I drive 2500hd diesel and consider it the minimum to tow my 295rst 32ft 10k loaded trailer. Is it car like as a daily driver? Nope. That is the trade off.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

Totally agree, that is too much trailer for that truck. While I 100% understand the daily driver dilemma you can overcome it by buying the right truck for hauling. Order yourself a HD Payload/Max Tow combo and you'll be more than fine to haul that TT.

IrishRV, there are '1/2 ton' trucks that can pull the 295RST by the way... I have CAT scaled my combo and I am under all ratings...

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Totally agree, that is too much trailer for that truck. While I 100% understand the daily driver dilemma you can overcome it by buying the right truck for hauling. Order yourself a HD Payload/Max Tow combo and you'll be more than fine to haul that TT.

IrishRV, there are '1/2 ton' trucks that can pull the 295RST by the way... I have CAT scaled my combo and I am under all ratings...

As I mentioned above. The f150hd Eco isn't really a 1500 in my mind.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #10

even though i will be shopping for a new f450 dually soon, i had ALMOST pulled the trigger on an fx4 eco with max tow and the long bed...

i figured it would be easier to daily drive and be better on gas...

in retrospect, and after talking to other eco owners who love thier truck, im glad i went with the 250...i daily drive mine and its really not that big of a deal size wise (as compared to the eco longbed i was going to get)....it sure FEELS bigger being lifted and all, but the eco crew cab long bed isnt exactly small....

i am getting about 14mpg city which is mainly my commute to work and is a LOT of stop n go and under 45mph...seems like my eco brothers are getting 15-16 city ....so negligle to me there as well...

also it seems pretty rare in these parts that we go to SMALLER trailers after our first...LOL....kinda like my houses...i used to think 2500 sq/ft was all i would ever need (i grew up in a trailer house).....and now im thinking thats how big my SHOP needs to be!! LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
As I mentioned above. The f150hd Eco isn't really a 1500 in my mind.
Im sure that f150hd eco is a awsum truck from what I read about.
Many folks are doing remarkable things with them when it comes to towing.
But that said I still think you are better off with the GMC 2500HD D/A or any 2500hd / f250 set up.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #12

Better off is a relative term though Platokidd.. Just playin' devils advocate here. Better off from a pure towing standpoint, you are most likely right. Even though I am within all ratings etc, I am still in the 100% club. What I mean is very near my ratings. A 3/4 ton would alleviate that straight away.

From a daily driver standpoint. Totally dependent on what the OP needs the truck for and how they use it.

From a dollars and cents standpoint, again very situation dependent.

Impossible to find just one answer to the question. I thought long and hard about my truck (I came from a 08 XLT Triton) this time around. I evaluated all the angles I could think of at the time and my ultimate decision was my current truck. It has worked out pretty much exactly as I thought. However each and every situation is different.

With all that being said any discussion is mute if you blow your ratings IHMO because in that situation you have the wrong truck.

Great discussion...

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
Site Team

another_newfie, Yes, Im talking from purely a towing perspective.
And from that view point more is better. I have to agree that doesn't fit everyone's budget or needs for a daily driver.

In no way am I trying to heat this up into another towing thread.
They are good reads but a very split on opinions.

Today I see birds in the yard and the snow is melting! Cant wait to get out there and camp again!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

I had a 09' F150 with the 5.4 Triton and max tow package on it (11,300) and pulled a 8,000# trailer. The motor performed well w/o any struggles but I did not like how the TT pushed it around. Even added air bags, but there were times when I put scuba gear in the bed and I could really feel it. I currently have a F350 diesel (daily driver) and love it. Like it was said above, it is what fits the individuals situation and what you are comfortable with.
As far as what gear to pack. I believe someone had a post on here before that covers that. Just do a search.

Tags
first time, trailer, travel, travel trailer