Old 08-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

First trip back to dealer for warranty work

I have heard a few horror stories around dealer warranty work so we will see how this one goes.

During the PDI in July, we found the bunk house exterior wall had begun delaminating (335BHS), and the floor of the closet slide in the bedroom was soft from water intrusion. The dealer ordered all the necessary parts and is now making the repair.

Let's hope I have positive experience to share when this is done.

2011 F250 Lariat
NewB2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

The exterior wall you said was Delaminating,is it a Slide wall or Main side wall? All this was found during the PDI and you accepted it this way? Youroo!!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

I have also experienced swelling and softening of the particle board floor underneath my closet slide (335bhs) I noticed several screw head penetrations through the Darco wrap and believe water came down the sides, wrapped around and entered up through the screw holes. My warranty is up so I sealed all the holes and am hoping for the best. ( not happy) I would recommend checking and sealing those holes ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewB2RV View Post
I have heard a few horror stories around dealer warranty work so we will see how this one goes.

During the PDI in July, we found the bunk house exterior wall had begun delaminating (335BHS), and the floor of the closet slide in the bedroom was soft from water intrusion. The dealer ordered all the necessary parts and is now making the repair.

I was sitting in my Crusader at the dealer while they installed a replacement door and light. After quite awhile of sitting, I noticed my wall paper had air bubbles in it on the slide out and on another wall.

Then they informed me the door wasn't the problem and that the closet/cabinets were hung crooked. Repair would be quite a bit of time and required more parts from PT.

Now they get to do more repairs later when they get approval from PT and the parts. Ugh. I've had the Crusader since Spring. This will be the 3rd time back.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird233 View Post
I have also experienced swelling and softening of the particle board floor underneath my closet slide (335bhs) I noticed several screw head penetrations through the Darco wrap and believe water came down the sides, wrapped around and entered up through the screw holes. My warranty is up so I sealed all the holes and am hoping for the best. ( not happy) I would recommend checking and sealing those holes ASAP.

You need to keep a close eye on the soft floor. That is the death of RV's.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewB2RV View Post

I don't understand why you would accept a new RV (or used for that matter)...with those kind of problems???
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

I would agree. I just re-read the post. Are you saying you noticed a soft floor during a PDI? OMG! That is NOT good. It is very very expensive to fix a rotted out floor section in an RV. The entire structure is built onto the plywood floor + vinyl flooring. You just cannot match the flooring so you need to replace the whole thing which requires the removal of all the cabinets, slides, ect. A HUGE job.

I hope it is the floor padding that you feel and not the actual plywood.

Good luck,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I would agree. I just re-read the post. Are you saying you noticed a soft floor during a PDI? OMG! That is NOT good. It is very very expensive to fix a rotted out floor section in an RV. The entire structure is built onto the plywood floor + vinyl flooring. You just cannot match the flooring so you need to replace the whole thing which requires the removal of all the cabinets, slides, ect. A HUGE job.

I hope it is the floor padding that you feel and not the actual plywood.

Good luck,

Vin.
The floor of the slide was soft at the outside edge. Yes, it does mean taking the slide out and replacing the floor. It is about 4x6 piece of OSB. There is no 'matching', they are replacing the entire slide floor.
2011 F250 Lariat
NewB2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #9

Same with mine, I noticed it after my 1 yr warranty expired. Maybe I was naive but I didn't expect such problems with a brand new unit that is now only 1 year old. After reading the posts I started performing detailed inspections regularly. Disappointing. I think sealing the suspect spots should stop it from getting any worse but at least it appears to be isolated in the small floor on the bedroom wardrobe slide.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #10

I was going to wait to post this(long story) but if it helps others I guss thats all that matters,the water in the wardrobe slide is from the design of the frame around the slide(I sealed up the screw holes in the Darco right after I bought it 14 months ago),no or very little sealant behind the insert(sorry Prime Time but thats a terrible design) so the water runs into the slide where the frame is mitered see the pics below. They sealed the miter joint and plastic corner piece with clear silicone and not very much but I mine there was no sealant behind the insert so the water ran right in, with that design there is no way to get a good seal if you look at the other manufactures designs you will see a flat frame without a screw track so it can be sealed.I am currently working with my dealer to repair the floor but I removed there sealant and I resealed it so I think it has stopped leaking but I am always looking for more and I just hope I don't find any
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1429.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	61999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1430.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	62000  

2017 3 so far
2015 57/2016 52