Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Thumbs up First Trip - Crusader 315RST Review

We spent 6 nights at a local SP over Labor Day weekend and overall the camper did great.

Only two small issues.....black tank rinse connection leaked and there is a very small leak in one of the grey tanks. I have a clear connection I place on the drain pipe along with an external valve and there was maybe a cupful of clear water in it after 2 days.

The campground is only about 12 miles from the house, so not much to report on towing except there were no problems. The truck pulls the 5'er with plenty of power and the ride is level and fairly smooth.

Still getting use to backing a 5'er, but managed to put her in the spot with only having to pull up once. Same when backing in at home, which is a little tricky due to the narrow street I live on.

Temps got into the high 90's and gave both AC's a workout. We were in full sunlight during the middle of the afternoon and the bedroom stayed nice and cool, but the kitchen/living area would get up around 77-78 degrees. Both AC's were set on 70. I set the fan setting for the bedroom to MED trying to force more air into the kitchen/living area and this seemed to help. Mid afternoon temps in the kitchen/living area only climbed to 72 after that while the bedroom area remained cool.

I stayed pretty busy outside the camper, so not much time inside except to clean up and sleep. I did spend a couple of hours inside watching my beloved OU Sooners get their butts kicked by Houston. Other than that I enjoyed my time inside.

The shower was plenty big enough and I really loved being able to sit down in it. The bathroom and bedroom layout was one of the main reasons we picked this camper.

I know a lot of people complain about mattresses, but after two back surgeries the foam mattress felt good to me. I slept very well and woke up rested.

DW cooked and cleaned up inside and she didn't voice any complaints so I guess everything worked well for her.

Overall we really enjoyed the camper and feel good about our purchase. Besides the two minor issues I mentioned, everything worked as it should and I really like the 4 point leveling system. Sure makes setting up the trailer easier.

I would definitely recommend anyone looking to buy to at least check out the Crusader 315RST.

Here's a few pics;

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

We are loving ours too. Still have one outstanding issue but working through it. Looks good with your maroon truck, like it was made for it. I saw the pic where you had the awning light on. That bright white light sure lights it up but we found it drew bugs also. I want to look into replacing the strip with yellow lights. Some other 'making it ours' mods also but the basic layout, the storage, etc are just awesome for us. Glad you are enjoying yours.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

Good to hear you're enjoying yours too. The floorplan and storage works great for us as well.
I turned the led strip on for the pic. Normally it's off unless I need it for some specific reason. So it works for us.
As far as the bugs, at night we light a citronella bucket directly under our steps. It seems to help keep the bugs away from the door.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Good to hear you're enjoying yours too. The floorplan and storage works great for us as well.
I turned the led strip on for the pic. Normally it's off unless I need it for some specific reason. So it works for us.
As far as the bugs, at night we light a citronella bucket directly under our steps. It seems to help keep the bugs away from the door.

I installed 4 LED yellow strips, two under basement on awning side and two inside basement. Those plus the step light are plenty of light for us. We also burn citronella candles for effect and anti bug.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlreeves View Post
I installed 4 LED yellow strips, two under basement on awning side and two inside basement. Those plus the step light are plenty of light for us. We also burn citronella candles for effect and anti bug.
Buy a Thermacell lantern at Walmart or Bass Pro etc, ...works great
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Question. How many inches are there when your tailgate is down and you are hooked up. Looks close and this has been an issue for me in the past.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

I haven't measured, but I would guess no more than 6". It is close and being new to a 5'er, that's the one thing I have to remind myself to pay close attention to......making sure the tailgate is up when it needs to be up and down when it needs to be down.
I am seriously thinking about getting a 5th wheel hitch tailgate so I won't have to worry about it.

Tags
crusader