Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #1

First Trip Issues

We took our first shakedown trip last weekend. We had a great time overall, pics to follow tonight. Now I have to deal with some issues. I hope some of you can shed some light for me. The first issue was a leaking sink in the bathroom. After a close look with water flowing, I found the leak is coming from the grey plastic pipe coming from the sink itself. The trap and seals were not leaking. My questions is, what type of material is this and what type of glue or sealant should I use to repair this leak?
The second issue is the lack of 120V AC power when I connected back to shore power at home. I connected as usual and noticed the fridge did not switch back from propane to electricity. I tried a 120V lamp also, no joy there either. I tried resetting the GFCI outlet in the bathroom, no light or resetting it. There were no breakers tripped at the converter. Is there something else I need to check, or is there a procedure to follow when connecting to shore power? I had no problems at the campsite. I just plugged in and turned on the breaker. Everything worked fine.
Thanks in advance for the assistance!
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam
jjarrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #2

Not sure on the bathroom sink... I'm sure someone else can chime in, or you can contact Primetime...

The issue with the power sounds like a tripped breaker or GFCI at your house possibly..

John

John
foxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #3

I checked the power source in the garage also. It was hot.
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #4

The grey plastic piping is commonly used in regular houses in Canada. It is attached using metal clips and a tool that squeezes them tight. It's pretty easy to use. No glue like PVC.

If it the leak is at a connection, you may be able to simply squeeze the connector tighter. The connectors and the pipe itself is not expensive (the tool is the bigger expense $40 or so). If you just bought the unit I would expect the dealer to make the repair. They will have the tool, the pipe and the connectors.

Other than the leak and the electrical issue, how did you like the new unit?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

Plumbing Repair

The plastic drain tube that connects the trap to the bathroom sink is a semi-rigid plastic of some kind. It has no clamp at all. It was glued with an insufficient ammount of glue. I just need to know what type of glue to use. I would not expect a clamp based on the material. If it should have one, then that is the problem. So far we love the trailer and the layout. I think it is the best plan for us and our truck. Thanks!
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Why not have the service department at the dealer fix it for you? It also keeps the responsiblity on them rather than on what you have done to fix it. Chances are that they have the right tool on hand while you might need to go out and buy it.

Using a smartphone to tape the problem can help give them the heads up on the issue that needs fixing. After viewing the tape they can tell if it's something that can be fix while you wait or if you need to drop off the trailer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

The dealer is 125 miles north of here. If issues can be easily resolved, I will take care of them myself. I have spoken with the dealer`s service manager and he is willing to assist in simple issues, including sending me parts for plumbing etc if needed. My power issue is resolved. The plumbing repair will be very simple. I am a happy camper indeed!
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam
Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrard;111158[COLOR=blue
]The dealer is 125 miles north of here[/COLOR].
I would be trying to fix it myself too if I had to drive that far.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

What was the power problem?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

Power Problem Explained

There was no real problem. When I returned home I plugged in the TT and then plugged in the extension cord to the 120V outlet. There was no 120V power to the trailer. I had to unplug in the garage, open the breaker at the box, plug in the extension cord, and close the breaker. Power is restored in the camper now. I guess an arc at the house breaker is alright, but one at the ext cord plug in the garage outlet is not. I guess I learned something new. It never mattered with the old Coachman. The first process worked fine. The mini Taj is more sensetive in this regard.
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam