Old 05-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #1

First winter breakdown-WATER!!!

Pulled the rig from the lot today and parked it in the side yard to open and clean for 2019.

Some mouse droppings but not in places to raise concern. How did they get into the shower???

anyway...

Slides out, jacks down after only 1 pull up parking. But I digress.

Hooked up the power, every thing slides out and extends how it should.

Water... Let's talk water.

I blew out the lines with air in-lieu of running the red water. Hooked up the 'city-water' to the input and gave it a twist. Had some leaking but figured it was just a cold gasket. Went to the passenger side and out pours the wet stuff... Oh, S#!t... Killed the supply and let the panic set in. Oh, crap. What broke???

Pulled the screws out of the 'divider' in the pass through that blocks off the business behind the 'water' input. The Hot-water line that feeds the out-door shower/supply broke somehow. When I put the water to the system it just dumped into the pass-through. Didn't see it till I went to the passenger side and saw the water running out of the pass-through.

Quick run up to CW and grabbed a quick connect to replace the broken part and we are back in business.

In case anyone is wondering... 6'1, 205lb can fit in the pass through of a FR Prime Time Lacrosse.

Definitely grateful that I found it at home before our first outing this coming Friday.

I'm sure there are others that have had much worse 'first-opening' issues each season, but I wasn't expecting this.

Happy Camping!!!

Steve and Stacy
sfelber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I blew out the lines with air in-lieu of running the red water....The Hot-water line that feeds the out-door shower/supply broke somehow...
As you have found, blowing out the lines can leave water in places where stuff can happen.

I've seen and read many cases where folks have had issues after just blowing out with air but not one case when using antifreeze.

Hope you don't find any other issues.

Happy Camping!

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

First time I winterized our old 2007 Jayco, I realized that there was about a foot of tubing from the shutoff valve to the WH. Every thing had pink in it except for those two pieces...cold/hot...lines going to WH. They both were full of water and had I not cracked the valves and let the remaining pressure push anti-freeze back into the WH, those lines could've froze and ruptured leaving me with a Mell of Hess to clean up. I still allow a little AF to backflow in my WH on our 2018 Cherokee...just to be safe.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
WFD

You just discovered why the reluctance to use RV antifreeze really leaves you exposed. Nothing wrong with the pink stuff and it flushes out very easily from your lines come spring. Always surprises me that people will pay 1000's for their RV and risk not doing the full winterization. The other drawback to risking having burst water lines or fixtures is that in many of these units being able to gain access to all those pipes and fixtures can be very difficult with some of them. As luck would have it, the burst one will rarely be the one that is most easily accessible!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

My first winterization caused the hose to the toilet to blow as I didn't keep the pedal depressed. The worse part was it blew under the toilet so repair included removal and reinstall. Now I know better and open ALL water valves, remove anode rod and add pink stuff to all traps.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, winter