Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

Floor problem in Lacrosse 318BHS

We have a 2013 Lacrosse 318BHS we purchased in June of 2012. The kitchen floor is sagging. So bad that the floor vent moves when we walk by it. It starts and the end of the sink area to the end of the stove area. I feel this is a serious problem. We are 9 month camp hosts in Oregon so it is not a weekend traveler. It is our home. The vinyl is starting to stretch.

I called the dealer, B.Young in Portland OR and he said he can see us mid August and try not to use it. I told him our situation. "Sorry" was his response.

I called Prime Time and was informed by Rich that the unit is two years old and out of warranty and was real sorry for me. Two years old and the floor sags on a $39,000 trailer?? Sorry? Shame on you. This is not a closet door that went off the track but the floor.

I am going to take this issue up with someone who knows a little more than I do about my rights. I know that the RV forums on Facebook might give me some inside on Forest River and customer service, plus the newsletters for the two organizations we volunteer for.. The Oregon State Parks and the Army Corp of Engineers. Perhaps then can enlighten me on the other manufactures policy on a 2013 Trailer with a sagging floor.

What else can I do? Pay for a new floor structure???

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #2

Well...that sucks.!..the soft floor around the vent has been discussed on these forums among several of us before....I dont recall anyone having SERIOUS issues, but in any case its not the way it should be.

I feel for you, as this year (a year out of wartanty) ive had to fix a few costly issues myself.

Fact of the matter is you ARE out of warranty and neither the dealer nor prime is obligated to do anything (if they SHOULD OR SHOULDENT) is another topic all together. Prime has a fairly good record of taking care of customers (some just out of warranty) ...

In any case, good luck and let us know the issue and outcome of your situation.

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

I can understand your venting and frustration with this matter.

Hopefully someone on this forum can offer some ideas on a "FIX". That is what this forum is all about.
Good luck and please keep us posted as to the outcome of this issue.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

From an outsider's perspective, it sounds like water got in.
Time to construct braces/joists and put them under the floor as a temporary fix.
Legally, it's out of warranty and I'm sure others have encountered this before.
Find out what they did and do the same.
Good luck.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I can understand your venting and frustration with this matter.

Hopefully someone on this forum can offer some ideas on a "FIX". That is what this forum is all about.
Good luck and please keep us posted as to the outcome of this issue.
I have not searched the previous "fixes" but if memory serves me correct, the two times it was mentioned on this forum it was remedied by additional sub floor bracing that was missing/inadequate....(for the record mine has some definite give around the vent, but It has never worsened nor gave me cause to investigate further)

Hopefully its just that and NOT a water issue as that would be much more work for the op...
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

First off, sorry to hear of the troubles. Secondly it's too bad that your initial contact with PT was not positive. They have treated so many of us very well when we have ran into troubles. Don't let the first interaction with them be the end of it though.

I would be dropping the underbelly in that area to find out if the floor issues are caused by water. I am almost willing to bet they were. Just cut a three sided hatch in the underbelly to gain access and use gorilla tape to seal it. Try and determine the source of the water first and foremost. Until the leak (I am going out on a limb here in assumption I know) is fixed first. Once it is, then you can go about fixing the floor.

I feel as though it can be braced from underneath and stiffened.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Site Team

My floor has a little flex by the heat vent as well. No water ever made contact there as its in the center of the floor.
We try not to walk on or near the vents.
I also have some slight floor flex by the door that I need to keep a eye on.
I can also say that imo pt has stronger floors or less flexing in the floor then most units we looked at. Some units out there are horrible with flexing floors.
I like the idea of reinforcing the floor from underneath.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

If /when any of yall open up the bottom, shoot some pics!!...id be interested to see what the floor bracing looks like.

Mine has NEVER had water inside either..
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #9

I caught my flex in the first year. My dealer added additional bracing which seemed to help. Evidently they had a bad batch of floors. It was explained to me that the floor assembly, the different laminated layers, is separating. Our hope was that by bracing the floor that it would stop the problem from spreading. However, after camping for two weeks this month, the area in front of our refrigerator is really moving now after two weeks of walking on it. I wish I were exaggerating, but you can feel it. We documented our problem within the first year, so we will see. My fear is that this problem cant be stopped, only prolonged. We use our trailer for recreation only, so we don't use it more than 30 days a year, so the problem has shown up with very little use, which really scares me.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #10

ĆHere is a copy of the email I sent to Forest River:

As I said before, this has been is a known issue with many complaints. As a manufacturer, should you not address this issue in the name of customer relations and satisfaction?
We DO NOT use it for recreations but 10 months a year. We are volunteers.
From what I am reading into this issue, is your products worthy for full timers?

Why would the not honor the repair of an issue that is common? The federal government would look at these defects and contemplate a recall in the auto industry.

I feel cheated that I put my life savings into a trailer that had a soft floor, 2 years old, and the floor is getting worse.

Tags
318bhs, lacrosse