Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

FNG W/ A Leaky Slide Out

Howdy! Long time lurker, first time poster... (actually only about 6 days or so.)

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced slide out leaks from the factory? We purchased our 2012 3150BHD in Sept 2011 and had it parked next to the garage loading it up. We got a good soaking rain and before I found that it was leaking it soaked the carpet almost to the middle of the floor. We had a trip planned in October and went without a problem (no rain.)

I returned it to the dealer after the trip and they had it for approx. 3-4 weeks fixing usual warranty items (the little stuff you expect) and were supposed to figure out the slide leak. Dealer told me they had to order slide seal and then the wrong seal came in. (Here we go....) Getting close to Thanksgiving I brought it home to get it stored for the winter and will return it in the spring.

The other day I called the dealer as their automated, parts on order have arrived, telephone call service had not called me advising the correct seal had arrived. The service guy at dealer told me he would look into it.

Service guy called me back and said when I bring it back in, they were told by Prime Time to tear it apart and contact Prime Time for a solution.

First of all, I don't understand how the slide can leak with all the claims of this super pressure shower leak detecting treatment these things supposedly receive at the factory. How would this type of leak sneak by?

Secondly, should I put a bug in the ear of Prime Time prior to my taking the TT back to the dealer? I am not one to put the cart before the horses, but in this circumstance I don't want to get the proverbial jerk around from the dealer. Plus, I have heard mixed reviews about this particular dealer (who I will reserve badmouthing at this point.)

I have heard nothing but GREAT reviews on Prime Time so I am confident they will spur the horse if needed, yet I am a little put off that the thing leaks right out of the shoot! After all, with the pressure testing I must have heard and read about 4-5 hundred times prior to purchase, I was convinced this thing would damn near float!

Despite my frustration with the slide leaking, we could not be happier with our first new TT purchase. We no longer drive around or walk around the campground stating "Wish we had that camper" but rather say "I'm so glad we got the camper we did!" It's a little nicer than the '99 Mallard we were running, but then again, the Mallard didn't leak.

Sorry this is a little long winded, but I'm really not much for chiming in on forums, so I guess I was saving it all up!

Thanks for reading (and responding) and after reading several threads, there are really some kind & helpful folks on this forum. Unlike other forums where it felt like I was listening to my Dad argue with my uncles about who built a better tree fort when they were kids.
TL474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #2

I would take it to the dealer that has the best reputation for quality work not where you bought it. I would do it soon. You need a department that knows what it is doing. A good sign is if they have their own seal tech testing equipment. It could be something as simple as seal that got smooshed or torn away while putting the slide in and out or it could be out of alignment. Good Luck.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #3

By posting this you probably already did alert prime time but I would still do it through thier site. Also, make sure they check the window gaskets.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

TL474, my understanding is that PT can not pressure test a trailer that has a slide out. I to have had a major leak in one of my slides. They had to replace all of the slide seals. I am about 5 hrs. from the factory, and had them do the seal replacement.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Commercial Member

FYI - we do pressure test ALL units including units with slides. The pressure test is excellent at identifying leaks around solid, installed components (doors, windows, vents, etc) but is less reliable at identifying leaks in moving, flexible parts like slide seals. That's why we Rain Bay test, too. As I've said many times, we do alot of things to identify, catch, and prevent, but we are still far from perfect.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
WJC

When does your slide leak, open or closed? I had a problem when my slide was closed! When I opened the slide after a rain I would have a puddle of water in middle of the floor. Found the seals when closed had compressed to the point there were little voids between the slide seal and the trailer wall, water would run down the wall and follow the bottom trim, had the seals replaced by pt and the problem was solved.
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies! Wheels are in motion with Prime Time thanks to RV Guy. Now that's customer service! Plan on taking the rig in sometime here in the next few weeks once all the salt is rinsed off the roads here in Michigan.

WJC - The rear bunkhouse slide only leaked when it was extended. From inside with the slide partially retracted, I could see water dripping from what appears to be a rail or seal just above the cables and pulleys on both bottom corners. I can see where there is a horizontal seam on the outside of the slide out side wall that would actually channel any water behind the exterior (wiper) seal. I just don't have enough knowledge about the internal workings of the slide/seals, etc... to know if this is the entry point. I'm sure (or hopeful) that the service center would use some sort of dye to trace a leak. Nonetheless, I am confident with Prime Time's assistance it will get figured out.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
FYI - we do pressure test ALL units including units with slides. The pressure test is excellent at identifying leaks around solid, installed components (doors, windows, vents, etc) but is less reliable at identifying leaks in moving, flexible parts like slide seals. That's why we Rain Bay test, too. As I've said many times, we do alot of things to identify, catch, and prevent, but we are still far from perfect.

PTM
Seals can also fail after these tests occur from simple use.... which is out of PT's control.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #9

Just so you know, I had the biggest and best tree fort!!

When you had it parked along side the garage, was the slide in all the way, out all the way or just partially open while you loaded and was the TT level?

If it wasn't level and the slide was partially open then, that's probably how the water got in. The seals only work if the slide is completely opened or closed.

Either way, I know PT is on top of it.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65 View Post
Seals can also fail after these tests occur from simple use.... which is out of PT's control.
X2

I once had a tt that received factory repairs. When it left the factory everything was good. By the time it reached my dealer's lot there were 3 new issues. Delivery driver took responsibility.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #11

rracer5: Both slides were fully extended and the TT was approximately 1 -1/2" out of level with the door side (opposite of the slides) being low. I did realize this when I parked it and it was a temporary park job as we had just brought it home and this is where I parked our old rig. Obviously you want to have your TT as level as possible and I normally do, but I was just loading it up (and showing it off!) One would think that even if you are a little off level, the slide seals would still do what they are meant to do which is "seal."
Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #12

The slide roof is pretty flat, and 1-1/2 inch off level could have been enough to let the water in.
We eliminated the issue by having slide toppers installed at the factory, one of the best bang-for-the-buck options available.
After we took delivery, I also made sure the side slide seals overlap the bottom seal, so that the water has no chance of sneaking under the bottom seal.
And I added a bit of extra caulking in a few strategic spots.
The factory does a pretty good job, but it never hurts to double check everything ourselves. After all, it is our money invested, and I like to do my part to protect that investment.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

This is my first time having slides on a trailer. Thats a sad thing, that you have to have your trailer perfectly level, so your slides don't leak. If that is the case........I will definitely not have slides on my next one. Isn't that why they call them seals??? Toppers or not, a seal should keep the water out, would you not think.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #14

Roofs have pitch for a reason and if your trailers not level it changes pitch thus the leak. Slide outs have more benefits and I personally would not own a trailer without one .
Drmstx62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
This is my first time having slides on a trailer. Thats a sad thing, that you have to have your trailer perfectly level, so your slides don't leak. If that is the case........I will definitely not have slides on my next one. Isn't that why they call them seals??? Toppers or not, a seal should keep the water out, would you not think.
Please relax....make sure you dry out the wet spots. Run a dehumidifier if necessary. Get a fan and let it run. Contact PT.....They will take care of you....I have 100% faith in their customer service. I know that your are upset. It sounds like a seal or alignment. They will make it right and then you will be okay for years to come. I know that you spent thousands of dollars and do not think it should happen...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65 View Post
Please relax....make sure you dry out the wet spots. Run a dehumidifier if necessary. Get a fan and let it run. Contact PT.....They will take care of you....I have 100% faith in their customer service. I know that your are upset. It sounds like a seal or alignment. They will make it right and then you will be okay for years to come. I know that you spent thousands of dollars and do not think it should happen...
padave: I'm confused about your last reply to Crusader's post, but rest assured, I am not upset and I have absolutely no reason not to believe that Prime Time will take care of this. I'm merely answering the questions that others are asking about my issue and voicing my opinion of what a "seal" is. I think what Crusader and I were both stating is if the seal isn't capable of doing it's job (on any make or model of TT)and I have to bring a topographic Abney level for the landscape, a rotary laser level for my TT, and a Hewlett Packard Engineer's calculator with me to properly level so it doesn't leak, there must be a better way of skinning this cat. And if you have to put an awning over it to keep it from leaking, maybe I should bring a quonset hut with me and park my TT indoors!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL474 View Post
padave: I'm confused about your last reply to Crusader's post, but rest assured, I am not upset and I have absolutely no reason not to believe that Prime Time will take care of this. I'm merely answering the questions that others are asking about my issue and voicing my opinion of what a "seal" is. I think what Crusader and I were both stating is if the seal isn't capable of doing it's job (on any make or model of TT)and I have to bring a topographic Abney level for the landscape, a rotary laser level for my TT, and a Hewlett Packard Engineer's calculator with me to properly level so it doesn't leak, there must be a better way of skinning this cat. And if you have to put an awning over it to keep it from leaking, maybe I should bring a quonset hut with me and park my TT indoors!
Just trying to help ease your mind. I had a leak in my previous tralier and really stressed about it. I only commented because I know how I felt when it happened to me. It was hard for me to relax when it happened to me. I believe that PT will fix it so that you do not need slideout awnings. I agree....You should not need to worry about being exactly level.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #18

She's headin' to the shop Thursday and Roger at Prime Time has already been in contact with my service center stating they want to assist with tech. support! I have nothing but EXCELLENT things to say about Prime Time's customer service and the personnel I have dealt with thus far! It appears that Prime Time is actively restoring my faith in American companies and products! (Spike's Tactical in Apopka, FL is doing it's part also, but that's for another forum!)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #19

For anyone that's interested:

Received a call from the dealer today and the repairs to my rig are complete. They found a torn rubber gasket, and they replaced it. They found gaps at the top corners, and they filled them with silicone caulk, and there is a vertical exstrusion, and they sealed the base of that. The dealer was told by Prime Time that it is absolutely imperative that it does not leak again! They stated that they rain tested it and they are confident that it is good to go. Not bad turn around considering the last time it was at the dealer it sat there for 6 weeks while parts came in wrong (apparently) and things didn't get done, etc...

I'm picking it up on Friday and I'll rain test it as well. It's not that I'm not confident, but I've been told things were fixed before only to get home and find them worse.

I am very impressed with the crew at Prime Time! I cannot sing their praises enough, from their communications to the dealer as well as me to their readiness and willingness to jump in and pretty much demand excellent service for their customers. Thanks RV Guy and Roger, I certainly appreciate all of your efforts. I am certain that this situation would not have gotten the attention it did if I would have flown it solo.

Now to start installing some stuff!!!! Hooah!