Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

Fresh tank filling while hooked to city water

I own a 2015 Sanibel 3901 for a year and a half. All of the sudden my fresh water tank is filling when hooked to city water. I've never had this happen before. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Also my low point drain is running water like crazy. I had to shut the water off. Any suggestions as to what's up?

Old 09-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesndan2 View Post
I own a 2015 Sanibel 3901 for a year and a half. All of the sudden my fresh water tank is filling when hooked to city water. I've never had this happen before. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Also my low point drain is running water like crazy. I had to shut the water off. Any suggestions as to what's up?
Yes do a Search at the Top of page,Type in F/W tank filling while on City water! Days of Info! Youroo!!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #3

Just had the same issue with my Wildcat. There is a check valve in the water pump that is supposed to prevent that.
I ended up just replacing the water pump and problem solved.
The water pump is a warranty item so if your unit is still under warranty FR should replace it for you. I am traveling and in Canada so I purchased one here and installed it myself. I kept the receipt and will seek reimbursement from FR when I get home.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Team

I just did a Search on the token "fresh water tank filling" and got 16 hits. Other similar search token would produce many more since this issue is so often reported.
In one thread, I found where our friend Flybob wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Little more detail:

Disconnect city water.
open a faucet to release pressure.
turn on water pump and allow water to run for 10 secs.
turn off water pump.
reconnect city water.
You should be OK. Do not use water pump with city water connected. It can cause the check valve in the pump to seat improperly.
Also, you stated "my low point drain is running water like crazy"... as if you have a single low point drain. Most units have two low point drains - one for cold water pipes and one for hot water pipes... plus units generally have a fresh water tank drain. Which of these three possible drains is running water like crazy? Maybe the cap is not screwed on tightly.

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 85 / 2017 = 00; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #5

For a short term solution, open the fresh water drain. That way city water that gets past the check valve will not overflow the fresh water tank. This will of course drain your fresh water tank so you would need to put the drain plug back on and add city water to the tank when needed.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
Old 09-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
For a short term solution, open the fresh water drain. That way city water that gets past the check valve will not overflow the fresh water tank. This will of course drain your fresh water tank so you would need to put the drain plug back on and add city water to the tank when needed.

You wouldn't gain anything doing that. You would still be putting FW out the FW tank. Either through the overflow or drain.
JP Camper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Fresh water

Had same problem, the check valve did not seat. I turned off city water, turned on the water pump ran some water out one of the faucets turn off faucet and trun off pump. Now turn on city water this set the check valve closed and solved my problem.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

Yes but he could still use city water in the RV with full water pressure and not have the fresh water tank overflow. When my FR tank overflows it goes into the basement making a big mess. I did not want that to happen a third time so that is how I operated for a couple of days until I was able to replace the water pump.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
Old 09-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Yes but he could still use city water in the RV with full water pressure and not have the fresh water tank overflow. When my FR tank overflows it goes into the basement making a big mess. I did not want that to happen a third time so that is how I operated for a couple of days until I was able to replace the water pump.

My FW tank overflows out and under the trailer. No chance of it getting inside. Something must be wrong with yours if the overflow goes anywhere inside.
JP Camper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #10

If there is the selector valve that provides an input tube for winterization antifreeze and that tube has a plug then the interim way to stop the tank from backfilling is to select the winterization valve position and the backflow will be directed to that hose. Even if the hose has no plug just a simple double bend in the hose and secured in that condition will suffice. Need the winterization provision though.

Tags
city water, tank, water