Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

fresh water tank fill

This is probably a stupid question but when I connect to the city water is it supposed to fill my freshwater tank also? Just wondering since I also have a connection for just the freshwater tank.
NE Louisiana
2017-32 days camping in a Starcraft popup
2018 4 days camped (popup), 4 days (new tt) 11 days reserved.
Jimmie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie824 View Post
This is probably a stupid question but when I connect to the city water is it supposed to fill my freshwater tank also? Just wondering since I also have a connection for just the freshwater tank.
Not at the same time. They are separate connections.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #3

It should NOT fill your FW tank.

BUT if you find your FW tank is filling while hooked up to city water, it's an indication that the check valve in your water pump is leaking backwards. If you have this condition, remove the hose from the city water connection, turn on your pump and run some water from the FW tank to a faucet somewhere. This will open the check valve, and when you shut off the faucet, should allow the check valve to re-seat properly. Then turn off the pump and reattach the city water hose and you should be good to go.

If you still get back leakage, you'll probably have to change out the check valve OR add another one in the pump line.

I've attached a generic plumbing pic that may help you. You're unit may or may not look like all or part of this pic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (125.9 KB, 307 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the help, will have to give this a try on our next trip if it fills the freshwater tank again
NE Louisiana
Old 04-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Fresh Water Tank Filling on City Connection

This is an age-old problem many of us have experienced. The primary reason this happens is that the backflow device in your water pump is not working. You might be able to tear the pump down, but the sure fix is a new pump. Its a simple replacement job.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #6

Hopefully the problem fixed itself towards the end of our last camping trip, however won't know for sure until we go to Galveston at the end of May. If its not fixed or I can't get it fixed using rockfordroo's tip I'll just let the dealership fix it since I already have a couple of other things that needs to be corrected and we've only had the trailer a month.
NE Louisiana
Old 04-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

On my Crusader 315 the fill for tank is separate from the city water hookup. If you connect to the city water hookup and your tank fills you have a problem, but if nothing is happening you're good.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

This is so ironic...

I just went outside as the RV park people are working on the power pedestal on my site (went out last week, luckily I'm in a double space so had another pedestal to connect to).

I was out talking to the guys and I noticed the dirt was wet under my trailer, so I crawled under the slide to see what was up, and water was dripping out of the fresh tank overflow.

Hhhmmm...had 1/3 tank of fresh water...checked the gauge and sure enough...the fresh water tank was full!

Drained it halfway...shut the city water off...ran the pump a couple times and there seemed to be a lot of air coming through the pump...turned the city water back on to see what will happen.

I'm guessing it is the pump's back check valve...

Of course it is Sunday, so none of the RV stores out here in the middle of southern New Mexico are opened today.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #9

Thumbs up fresh water reply

Thanks for sending the generic schematic of water systems in RV forum , I'm making a copy and keeping it for future usage if necessary.
Tandum
tandum3745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I thought I had mine fixed, but after leaving the city water hooked up Sunday afternoon for a few hours...the fresh tank was full again!

Of course, I am in Smallsville, New Mexico (near Truth Or Consequences), so I had a hard time finding the part...

So I stopped at a True Value hardware store and found a plastic check valve, but had to buy a hodgepodge of fittings to adapt it (about $30 - going to return this stuff).

However, I finally found the one and only RV shop here in town and he sells parts, and he had a brass check valve ($15), and the filter screen ($15), so I bought them both.

Came back to the RV park and swapped out the screen (the original one was still good, but full of white plastic shavings, cleaned it out and saved it for backup), and attached the new check valve to the back of the screen and put them on the inlet of the pump (Shurflo 4008) and tested it out.

Took about 15 minutes...

And now about 18 hours later...no full fresh water tank!

I took photos...will post them in a few minutes.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank