Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
ntrlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germantown, Ohio
Posts: 12
Front Landing Gear Issues

I have a 2013 Crusader 325res. I have issues with the electronic "extract/retract" for the front landing gear. Occassionally the retract doesn't work, requiring me to manually lower. But the extract works? It is strange that occassionally the retract works?? but 10 minutes later it doesn't. Any thoughts??
__________________

__________________
Bill and Sheli
Simba and Benji (King Charles Cavalier)
Germantown, Ohio

2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500 LTZ
2013 Crusader 325RES
ntrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
puff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Campbell River
Posts: 258
I assuming it is electric over hydraulic or just electric motors.....either way intermittent issues usually mean an electrical problem. Check all the connections, grounds, etc... Make sure they are all clean, my next stop would be to check fuses, they can pop in and out or you could even have a fuse that is resetting itself. After that I would touching the motor to see if it heating up, it may have an internal heat sink that cuts in and out to save the motor or pump. You may have to check connections with a meter to make sure you are getting the correct voltage to the various areas of the system.

Hope that helps..!
__________________

__________________
Glen & Robyn (A.K.A. Puff & Crickit) Full Timers..


2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
If it works at all it is not mechanical, which is a good thing. These systems are VERY simple, so the best thing to do is when it doesn't work the next time, get a voltmeter out and check the voltage at the retract switch (s), and at the motor (s) to see what's happening. Is there one motor and switch or two?

In my last trailer, the wiring going to the switches was a spaghetti of taped and twisted wires and I had to sort that out when it wouldn't work.

If the switch is getting 12 volts and the motor is not, then it is the switch. If the motor is getting voltage (may need two people to check this) and not running it could be an intermittent motor.

At any rate it should be a warranty repair.
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
I assuming it is electric over hydraulic or just electric motors.....either way intermittent issues usually mean an electrical problem. Check all the connections, grounds, etc... Make sure they are all clean, my next stop would be to check fuses, they can pop in and out or you could even have a fuse that is resetting itself. After that I would touching the motor to see if it heating up, it may have an internal heat sink that cuts in and out to save the motor or pump. You may have to check connections with a meter to make sure you are getting the correct voltage to the various areas of the system.

Hope that helps..!
AND it could be a thermal cut out, but unless it is really working hard, it shouldn't be that. If it is the landing jack(s) might be bent and binding, causing the motor to heat up.
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Golflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrlz View Post
I have a 2013 Crusader 325res. I have issues with the electronic "extract/retract" for the front landing gear. Occassionally the retract doesn't work, requiring me to manually lower. But the extract works? It is strange that occassionally the retract works?? but 10 minutes later it doesn't. Any thoughts??

I just had the same problem with my 2013 260RLD. Went to hitch up and retract and had nothing, nada, zip. Hit the button quite a few times and they finally retracted. Got it home in the driveway and it took 2 tries to get them to come back down. I am thinking switch problems as the camper is brand new. Have not had a second to check the system with the volt meter. This happened once on my last 5ver, a Puma. All it ended up being was a wire came off the back of the switch. My fingers are crossed for the same thing....
__________________
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
ntrlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germantown, Ohio
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golflover View Post
I just had the same problem with my 2013 260RLD. Went to hitch up and retract and had nothing, nada, zip. Hit the button quite a few times and they finally retracted. Got it home in the driveway and it took 2 tries to get them to come back down. I am thinking switch problems as the camper is brand new. Have not had a second to check the system with the volt meter. This happened once on my last 5ver, a Puma. All it ended up being was a wire came off the back of the switch. My fingers are crossed for the same thing....
After much research, there is a loose wire connection behind the switch. Thanks for everyones suggestions. They were very helpful. We are heading to florida for two weeks on Thursday.
__________________
Bill and Sheli
Simba and Benji (King Charles Cavalier)
Germantown, Ohio

2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500 LTZ
2013 Crusader 325RES
ntrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
camper1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 778
On this topic does anyone have and good links and/or instructions on replacing the gear box and/or landing gear motor
__________________

__________________
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.