Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Front Landing Gear Issues

I have a 2013 Crusader 325res. I have issues with the electronic "extract/retract" for the front landing gear. Occassionally the retract doesn't work, requiring me to manually lower. But the extract works? It is strange that occassionally the retract works?? but 10 minutes later it doesn't. Any thoughts??

2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500 LTZ
2013 Crusader 325RES
ntrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

I assuming it is electric over hydraulic or just electric motors.....either way intermittent issues usually mean an electrical problem. Check all the connections, grounds, etc... Make sure they are all clean, my next stop would be to check fuses, they can pop in and out or you could even have a fuse that is resetting itself. After that I would touching the motor to see if it heating up, it may have an internal heat sink that cuts in and out to save the motor or pump. You may have to check connections with a meter to make sure you are getting the correct voltage to the various areas of the system.

Hope that helps..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Denver, CO

If it works at all it is not mechanical, which is a good thing. These systems are VERY simple, so the best thing to do is when it doesn't work the next time, get a voltmeter out and check the voltage at the retract switch (s), and at the motor (s) to see what's happening. Is there one motor and switch or two?

In my last trailer, the wiring going to the switches was a spaghetti of taped and twisted wires and I had to sort that out when it wouldn't work.

If the switch is getting 12 volts and the motor is not, then it is the switch. If the motor is getting voltage (may need two people to check this) and not running it could be an intermittent motor.

At any rate it should be a warranty repair.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
I assuming it is electric over hydraulic or just electric motors.....either way intermittent issues usually mean an electrical problem. Check all the connections, grounds, etc... Make sure they are all clean, my next stop would be to check fuses, they can pop in and out or you could even have a fuse that is resetting itself. After that I would touching the motor to see if it heating up, it may have an internal heat sink that cuts in and out to save the motor or pump. You may have to check connections with a meter to make sure you are getting the correct voltage to the various areas of the system.

Hope that helps..!
AND it could be a thermal cut out, but unless it is really working hard, it shouldn't be that. If it is the landing jack(s) might be bent and binding, causing the motor to heat up.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrlz View Post
I have a 2013 Crusader 325res. I have issues with the electronic "extract/retract" for the front landing gear. Occassionally the retract doesn't work, requiring me to manually lower. But the extract works? It is strange that occassionally the retract works?? but 10 minutes later it doesn't. Any thoughts??

I just had the same problem with my 2013 260RLD. Went to hitch up and retract and had nothing, nada, zip. Hit the button quite a few times and they finally retracted. Got it home in the driveway and it took 2 tries to get them to come back down. I am thinking switch problems as the camper is brand new. Have not had a second to check the system with the volt meter. This happened once on my last 5ver, a Puma. All it ended up being was a wire came off the back of the switch. My fingers are crossed for the same thing....
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golflover View Post
I just had the same problem with my 2013 260RLD. Went to hitch up and retract and had nothing, nada, zip. Hit the button quite a few times and they finally retracted. Got it home in the driveway and it took 2 tries to get them to come back down. I am thinking switch problems as the camper is brand new. Have not had a second to check the system with the volt meter. This happened once on my last 5ver, a Puma. All it ended up being was a wire came off the back of the switch. My fingers are crossed for the same thing....
After much research, there is a loose wire connection behind the switch. Thanks for everyones suggestions. They were very helpful. We are heading to florida for two weeks on Thursday.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500 LTZ
2013 Crusader 325RES
ntrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

On this topic does anyone have and good links and/or instructions on replacing the gear box and/or landing gear motor