Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #1

Furnace Issue - help it is cold out!!!

We have a 290RLT Crusader. We are travelling and have been using the furnace no problem. Tonight we turned it on to furnace as always and the air conditioner came on and it was blowing air out of the vents in the ceiling. The furnace did come on as well but the air conditioner unit kept blowing. The themostat is set at 72. What happened it has been working fine for the last two weeks. The manuals are useless. Please help.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #2

Taking a stab at this.... is your fan set to auto, low or high? Last time we camped, it was cold. We turned the furnace on which provided hot air from the floor, but when I set the fan to low/high, I received room temperature air from up above. This was nice at night since DW and I look a bit of cool air on us when we sleep. Set the fan back on auto during the day and only got air from the floor..... warm air.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Thank you

Thank you. The fan was on high. I put it on auto and we are in business. Thank you - we will be warm and cozy tonight.

Love this forum.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

I think everybody with that kind of thermostat has done it at least once... I know I did

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Commercial Member

sfrye with the save of the day - thanks.

Sincere Question - is the manual that poor in explaining how the thermostat works? This comes up a lot on the forum. We don't write the manual, but is there a suggestion on what we can do to make it simpler? FAQ maybe?

PTM
Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #6

I think manual is clearly written. It's just one of those things where people think, "It's just a thermostat, I don't need to read the instructions."

The first couple of times the AC fan was running on high while in the AUTO setting, then shut off for a few seconds and kicked back on in the low setting, well I thought I had a problem until I finally pulled the manual out and read it.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Lottery Non-Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
sfrye with the save of the day - thanks.

Sincere Question - is the manual that poor in explaining how the thermostat works? This comes up a lot on the forum. We don't write the manual, but is there a suggestion on what we can do to make it simpler? FAQ maybe?

PTM
In general most RV owner's manuals aren't very precise. They speak in generalities that often don't provide enough information. I'm a tech-writer, so I see the disparity between the manuals I work on and the manuals that came with the campers I have owned over the years.

Besides the books, the dealer's provide a walk through (usually). Many new owners don't know what to ask. If the walker didn't explain it, it will show up on this forum in the form of a question sooner rather than later.

In a perfect RV world, the manuals would cover (with images) every working device to include variations. It is terrifically expensive to do that, which is why I suspect it isn't being done now. In that perfect world, the walk through would demonstrate to the new owner every function of every device, and the new owner would perform every step prior to the rig being released to them.

In that world, none of us would be able to afford a camper.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote