Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Talking Gettin' ready for that first trip out!

I started de-winterizing last night. I flushed out the antifreeze and added bleach to the fresh water tank then ran each faucet, hot and cold to get the bleach water in all the lines. I also cleaned all my water hoses and fittings in bleach water. I usually let evertything set a couple of hours then I flush the system out with fresh water, but it got dark so I let it set overnight.

I finished flushing the water system this morning. Shut off my bypass valve and opened the in/out valves to the water heater, flushed it out and filled it up. Opened the propane tanks and checked the gas side to the water heater. It fired up right off.
I haven't had the gas on in at least 2 months. I even removed the tanks and took them to get topped off during that time. It did sputter a little at first, but otherwise it worked great.
I take it as a sign that Prime Time does a good job pressure testing the systems before it leaves the factory and again at a seperate facility before shipping. The dealer is also responsible for checking everything before they put it on the lot to sell. I remember checking out the trailer when my dealer first got it and there was air pressure in the water lines.
Just gives me a little more confidence in the trailer and Prime Time's manufacturing procedures.

I did get the trailer washed as well. I need to do a little cleaning on the inside, load up some groceries and clothes. I'll turn the frig on and in the morning I'll load it up, check the hitch and all my tire pressures, get hitched up and go.

I'm tryin' to be as quiet and sneaky about it as I can. Don't want the crappie to know I'm comin'!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #2

Have a good trip! Makes me sad to see the empty spot in the yard where mine's supposed to be...LOL! Hopefully I'll have it back by end of week and be able to plan trip #2 for 2011
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Thanks Jason

Usually about this time of year would be my second time out. I like to do a short weekend to check everything. Just had some things come up to keep me from it.

I hope the fishing turns out good, but I'm really looking forward to just getting away for a few days and relaxing. I'm sure I'll be doing some extensive testing of the lawn chair around the campfire!

The first 2 days I'll be by myself and then friday evening my wife and probably our 2 oldest grand daughters (8 & 9 yrs old) will be joining me for the rest of the weekend.

Good luck and happy cqmping!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #4

Question...if you add the antifreeze which has a form of alcohol in it, then what pathogen will grow in it? If and if I remember my chemistry and biology correctly from the good ole college days, if there no pathogens in the lines, then why is there a need to flush with bleach?

I understand the need to add a sanitzer when storing water in the system, but what is the purpose or benefit after the system has been winterized? Am I missing something here? Just wondering ...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

I don't know if RV anti freeze has alcohol or not. I know that RV antifreeze does freeze a little. It turns to slush and it's non toxic which makes me think it doesn't have alcohol, . To answer your question....I have no idea. I run bleach through mine too....even though we never drink the water (we bring our own in a water jug) we do use it for cooking, cleaning, etc.... Guess just for piece of mind.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Question...if you add the antifreeze which has a form of alcohol in it, then what pathogen will grow in it? If and if I remember my chemistry and biology correctly from the good ole college days, if there no pathogens in the lines, then why is there a need to flush with bleach?

I understand the need to add a sanitzer when storing water in the system, but what is the purpose or benefit after the system has been winterized? Am I missing something here? Just wondering ...
I'm sure your right right. That's just a habit I've picked up over the years.
However, I didn't have any antifreeze in my fresh water tank. I used the hose and valve at the pump to winterize the lines, so I guess I'm just tryin' to be safe rather than sorry.

The only chemistry and biology lessons I remember had to do with this cute little blonde haired girl that sat across form me.....
Maybe I ought to save that story for the campfire!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

I remember lighting magnesium on fire...that was cool!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

sanitizing with a bleach solution, is whats recommended in my owners manuel.by forest river, probably just to be on the safe side of things..
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

The only chemistry and biology lessons I remember had to do with this cute little blonde haired girl that sat across form me.....
Maybe I ought to save that story for the campfire! [/QUOTE]

Did you marry her?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

Dewinterizing

My first travel trailer was a Prowler purchased sometime in the 80's. Since then I have had 4 other RV's including the Crusader I just purchased. Every one I winterized with the Pink Antifreeze. In the spring I just fill the fresh water tank, start the pump, fill the hot water tank, and run each faucet until the dark pink goes away. It takes one or two trips to totally get rid of the faint color and smell, and the different feel of the hot shower water. No bleach, but I do not drink or cook with the water that comes out of the faucets. Maybe just good luck but never had a problem.
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Did you marry her?
Nope. That one got away, but that's okay. I ended up with a better one!

Come this May she's put up with me for 32 years.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Nope. That one got away, but that's okay. I ended up with a better one!

Come this May she's put up with me for 32 years.
And she's still putting up with all your crap-pie!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
And she's still putting up with all your crap-pie!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #14

Have a great time...It is snowing here this morning....Not quite time to dewinterize here in PA.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Funny thread

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65 View Post
Have a great time...It is snowing here this morning....Not quite time to dewinterize here in PA.
Same here lol. Was -13C last night... but shouldn't be much longer now.

Meanwhile, wifey is shopping for linens, dishes, new mattress. Even not camping we're doing a good job of spending money on camping lol
----------------------------------------
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #17

Hey Yall:

Antifreeze is either ethylene glycol (auto use) or propylene glycol..RV stuff is propylene glycol and the "ol" ending in a chemical name denotes a form of alcohol. I found this interesting piece of info on RV antifreeze...it aint as nontoxic as we would like to think.

http://www.chemicalspec.com/Winter_C...Antifreeze.pdf
Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #18

Magnesium on fire...that brings back memories. Growing up we had a friend whose dad worked for the Orlando Sentinel and back in the 70s, the printing presses used a magnesium stamped sheet to create each page. Brian would get these plates and we would take a torch and light em up! Talk about blinded by the light, those things would stop traffic on our little neighborhood street and light up about 2 acres of land.

So my friend Bobby determined his dad's Lawn Boy had a magnesium deck...and before anybody could stop him, he took a torch and lit his dad's self propelled 21 inch beautiful green rear bagger Lawnbawn on fire!.... it was a sight to see, oh the glory...oooh the humanity
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #19

Thanks Smokyroo. Now we know.

padave6565 & DageonYar hang in there. It won't be too much longer. If your like me you've tinkered with the trailer all winter and have it just about ready to go.

RV Guy, you think this thread is funny? Just imagine what it might be like sittin' around the campfire with some of us!

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #20

Grhodes...

I love camping, I really do, but I really love being on the water and I understand the pent up winter blues and wanting to be out. I could spend my days on the water on the boat and my nights under the stars camping...spring cant come soon enough for me. I cant imagine living any further north than I already do...

I have a boat winterizing story...I have a freshwater tank and stern shower and a little sink in the cabin of my boat. I use the pink stuff every winter. But this past winter I forgot to open the seacock to the raw water washdown system. There is an inline strainer with a clear plastic cap before the washdown pump. So when we use the washdown pump we open the seacock and then close it before getting underway. Well water stays in the strainer and the system froze and the plastic strainer expanded and cracked. Honestly I hope that is all that is broken and the pump housing is fine. I found it last weekend while doing our spring shakedown cruise on Lake Hartwell in SC. Doing the little things with our TTs makes all the difference. Lessons learned through the school of hard knocks

So here is to a quick spring for you...I cant wait to get out...going camping in Fla in 10 days!!!! Ahh, warm Florida....