Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #11

I recently stopped by a Camping World in Florida while on a recent trip to purchase one of the Dish Network tailgater and receiver units. They had a good price plus they gave me a $25.00 certificate off a one nigh stay at a Good Sam RV park to early renew my membership. Used the certificate on our next stop. Overall if you plan to RV much, it is well worth the membership cost.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Long time member and the discounts at Camping World online and in the store as well as many non-KOA (also a member) campgrounds are great. They also have a mail forwarding service if you travel for long stretches. Very nice magazine and their tech articles and mods are first rate.

Downside is lots of mail trying to sell insurance (RV related).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #13

We're members, and GS just offered "Lifetime" membership to all military for $99 (if memory serves me). We jumped on it compared to what a normal lifetime membership was.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Long time member and the discounts at Camping World online and in the store as well as many non-KOA (also a member) campgrounds are great. They also have a mail forwarding service if you travel for long stretches. Very nice magazine and their tech articles and mods are first rate.

Downside is lots of mail trying to sell insurance (RV related).

The mail forwarding service is interesting. Is that something that is included with the standard club membership fee or is that an option that is available for an additional fee?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #15

Telling on myself--

Parked at my son's home while in the Southwest-- in the shade it was 103-- my wife exited the 5W but left the keys inside. So what? The gated side secured the RV.

Shortly thereafter I found the top lock, locked. Outside of our cell telephone, our swimming suits, shirts, and flip-flops, we had nothing. Unfortunately, the pickup keys, wallet, cards, everything, were inside and our kids were both gone.

Our son walked to his office, and the daughter-in-law was off doing errands, expected late in the evening.

Yes, I had spare keys, but they were in the pickup and that was locked, too. OOPS!

Did you know that one can lock the 5W top lock without being inside? You do now, don’t you?

A call to GS precipitated the following from the dispatcher: “Had this been a lockout of your pick-up or a motorhome, the cost would be free, not be the $95 per hour the locksmith will charge. We’ll pay for his transportation to your location, but you must do the $95 and extra hours.”

Obviously, having read the fine print on the RSA contract, I argued. Two hours later and several calls to GS and the locksmith-- I got the same result. An independent call by me to a local locksmith (the one GS called was 50 miles away) said he’d get me in for $40, and that he had a key for the top lock. I guess GS’s locksmith wanted practice on picking the lock: “it’s a tough lock to pick, and it might take me two hours,” he said. That’s about $200, isn’t it?

I explained it’s a “Type-M lock and all dealers have this key.” But, the GS locksmith insisted on the charges and, to pick the lock. What’s really funny, though, is a statement by the GS dispatcher who advised us that GS could “tow the RV to a dealer, and that would be free and covered.” I don’t think so, what with slides out, the gate locked, etc. Now, just why did I get road-side coverage?

My son owns his company- so arrangements were made to pick me up, drive me 15 miles to a dealer whereby the dealer gladly gave me one. Problem solved. I should have called a cab, right? Perhaps it was the heat?

A letter to the CEO of GS followed. To my surprise I received a call from him. With apologies, compensation for the effort, and promise to fix the error, I’m satisfied and appreciate his review. But I will never need a key again. FYI, this is the first time, ever, I've locked myself out of anything.

OK, I’m not too bright. I should have placed the hidden key somewhere on the RV. Yes, I did that right after. By the way, do you have a hidden key for your pick-up or your toad? At $2.00 for the RV key and $35 for the “chipped” pickup key, I let you be the judge. I did th PU as well. Imagine how much effort could have been saved?

Good luck,
Mike
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
We're members, and GS just offered "Lifetime" membership to all military for $99 (if memory serves me). We jumped on it compared to what a normal lifetime membership was.
Well, that is the first I have heard of this, but believe me I will follow up!

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelTracer View Post
The mail forwarding service is interesting. Is that something that is included with the standard club membership fee or is that an option that is available for an additional fee?
Just like everything else, membership gets a 10% discount:
NEW Mail Forwarding Service Now Available! | Good Sam Club News

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #18

I'm a member as of this year. I saved more than the membership fee with one order from Camping World. I'm sure I will save again next year.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

FAQs on RV Camping Club - Information on Good Sam Club

Interesting twist on the military life membership.
Also open to VETS of any war for $149.00

Herk

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #20

It only costs $25 a year to join the Good Sam Club and I think it’s worth it for the benefits and the magazine. If you do any traveling your bound to stay at a few Good Sam parks and the discount will pay for the fee.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned are the Standby Sams. These are club volunteers throughout the country who are available for advice, info on available mechanics in their area or local campgrounds, etc.

The Good Sam Club also offers an action line for help in getting a disputed issue resolved with a dealer or manufacturer and they also offer a configurable RV trip routing service.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote