Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #11

China Bomb....AGAIN!

Well, another China Bomb exploded on us going through Atlanta during rush hour. It was a full tread separation just like the last 4 times even after going from LRD to LRE. The brand was Akuret it had less than 1,000 miles on it. As usual, I will report it to the NHTSB. Why these trashy dangerous tires are even allowed in the US is beyound me. I'm putting LT Steel LRG on it per my tire guy when and if we make it home. I only have two spares and I'm not buying anymore till I get back. People can say what they want about putting LT tires on a trailer, but I've blown 5 STs inside of 3,000 miles total. It couldn't get any worse. Another $2,000 repair of the wheel well AGAIN!

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
CMSgt. (Ret) Charlie Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Well, another China Bomb exploded on us going through Atlanta during rush hour. It was a full tread separation just like the last 4 times even after going from LRD to LRE. The brand was Akuret it had less than 1,000 miles on it. As usual, I will report it to the NHTSB. Why these trashy dangerous tires are even allowed in the US is beyound me. I'm putting LT Steel LRG on it per my tire guy when and if we make it home. I only have two spares and I'm not buying anymore till I get back. People can say what they want about putting LT tires on a trailer, but I've blown 5 STs inside of 3,000 miles total. It couldn't get any worse. Another $2,000 repair of the wheel well AGAIN!

Hey black hat Mike,
We were headed to Savannah and then on down to Brunswick for my 50th class reunion recently and had a China bomb explode on 75 just below Forsyth. $3200 worth of cosmetic damage but no structural damage. I have a TPMS and no alerts or anything. We had the Towmax tires and my tire guy told me to go with Goodyear Marathon and run them at about 70/75 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

I once had three Goodyear D Marathons blowout on the same day, within three hours. Pressures were checked and good four hours earlier and trailer was loaded to 2,000 pounds under its GVWR. These tires were two years old.

Bruce
Old 12-17-2015, 06:25 AM   #14

Always run ST tires at the max pressure on the tire. Note the load limits section on page 1. Your trailer tires combined weight rating MUST exceed the trailer weight rating by 20%. This 20% safety margin is built into P & LT tire ratings by law.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf (1.35 MB, 25 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #15

Maxxis M8008 are the best ,hands down. One fifthwheel ,15K traveling w/ no blowouts . DD's 36' Keystone TT - the same - no blow outs and great piece of mind.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I once had three Goodyear D Marathons blowout on the same day, within three hours. Pressures were checked and good four hours earlier and trailer was loaded to 2,000 pounds under its GVWR. These tires were two years old.

Bruce
I'm not sure if there IS a valid answer to the tire problem on RVs. I still think the offshore trash ST tires are not built to quality standards and thus fail so often. I DO know certain facts to be true such as weights being easily within limits [1,100lbs under MGW], correct alignment, tire pressure and temps OK. Beyond that, there is nothing more I can do.
My tire guy [Barn's Tire] and personal friend, just called and said he has 4 of the Maxxis M8008 in 15" and would swap out the 4 Hercules tires that he just sold me and mounted. Said he knew what I was going through and wouldn't charge me labor or balance fees and that the Maxxis tires were only $10 more than the Hercules tires. I would have thought they would be much more expensive if the quality was so much better than the Hercules tires.
As soon as I get the new "shoes", I'm headed out to the CAT scales to make it official as to the REAL weight. If it happens again, I want to have all the evidence I can get that I did due diligence in fixing the problem. My insurance company is not going to want to hear the same problem and damage has happened a third time in one year.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Site Team

Our trailer came with Marathons. We pulled them for 6 years and over 25,000 miles. Rocky, rutted National Forest Service roads, all day tows in 95 degree heat in the plains. They performed flawlessly and held up very well.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

If we want a high quality tire are we willing to pay double for it? You can not have the quality and a cheap price. Like everything you get what you pay for. Hence offshore Tire construction with lower wages, easier environmental laws etc.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #19

I would keep the Hercules tires. I have read more posts on Maxxis tires failing than Hercules tires failing.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #20

I plan on keeping the Hercules tires, it's the Akurets that will be stacked in the garage. I've only heard good things about Hercules, but I've heard a lot of bad experiences with Maxxis M8008. I'm about to find out for myself. Four Maxxis and two Hercules spares. If I can come up with another rim, I'll take a third spare. This is insane to have to carry three spares, but last year on our trip south, we used three.
I don't mind paying big money for good products, but I expect to get what I pay for and the offshore trash isn't filling that bill. I would be happy to pay double for the safety and peace of mind of a set of tires I can count on.
There is a small selection for 15" trailer tires.
I've spent the entire day inventorying the unit and removing any items that I don't absolutely need or have to have. So far I have only removed about 160lbs of food, clothing, extra water pump, and tools. Headed to the scales tomorrow, but I'm sure I'm WAY UNDER my 3,300 lb CCC as is stated on the placard. My guess is around 9,400 lbs total gross weight, well within the load range. I'm even moving the spare to the back of the TV and putting only 6 gallons of water onboard.

Tags
tire, tires