Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #21

This is the new wheel well I've had built to protect the water lines, propane lines, electrical wiring harness and floor from any more blowouts. It's 1/8" steel mounted with 3/8" bolts to the frame. If this doesn't protect enough, I'm at the end of my road. There is no valid reason I should have had to do this to protect my unit from damage. It replaces paper thin sheet metal that only keeps out water and offers no protection what so ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	96348  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
At about----------------

At about 18K to 22K start looking for belt separation on the Marathons. I've
had three go bad.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

I laugh at theses threads. Everything from all ST tires suck, go to LT, theses ST tires rule...

My thoughts, seems that most people only post the bad and THAT can be found on ANY tire. GY, Maxxis, Kumho... I think they all have bad quality control and they all stink. You just pick the one that seems to stink less and hope for the best. I guess until the ST tires get to the same level as what is required for an LT or P tire then we get what we get. As the demand for the trailers increase, which means demand for more ST tires and at a lower cost, the worse it will get until someone steps in.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

For years and years we pulled trailers on passenger & truck tires with no problems, now for some reason it is unsafe. What a joke!!?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

I keep going back and forth on just saying f-it and doing LT tires. Limit for me is the 14" rim and getting a good weight rating. But a change to 15" will help a bit. Seems to me that over the last three years on this forum I have learned a few things... One of which is your trailer ST tires might get 100 yards or 100,000 miles before a kaboom... No idea when or why, it will just happen somewhere in that time!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #26

If everyone that have problems with the ST trash would report it to Safe Car [NHTSA] we might....just might get some relief from this disaster. The RV industry will never step up to the plate.
People complain, but don't report it to the proper authorities. They [NHTSA] know me by my first name now.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #27
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I once had three Goodyear D Marathons blowout on the same day, within three hours. Pressures were checked and good four hours earlier and trailer was loaded to 2,000 pounds under its GVWR. These tires were two years old.

Bruce
Well I've had these tires on car trailers,boat trailers and now my camper and never had a blow out. Matter of fact when I bought my new tt I had them switch my tires (Goodyear) from old tt to new tt. I have over 15,000 miles on them now. Key to all this is keeping track of mileage and age and how much sun they get over the years. Good PM is the key. Better than the China bombs hat came with the new trailer. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #28

According to the DOT tire factory list, Hercules and Akuret tires are built at the same factory, in the same town in China and by the same company. It appears that 8 different names come out of that same Shandong plant. Busy place.
In the DOT 4 digit code on your tire, the first two letters/numbers indicate where they were made.
FYI, Maxxis International [Maxxis] is code 20 and indicates Thailand.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
According to the DOT tire factory list, Hercules and Akuret tires are built at the same factory, in the same town in China and by the same company. It appears that 8 different names come out of that same Shandong plant. Busy place.
In the DOT 4 digit code on your tire, the first two letters/numbers indicate where they were made.
FYI, Maxxis International [Maxxis] is code 20 and indicates Thailand.
After studying the list, it appears that there are 48 different companies operating out of that same Shandong China plant.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #30

Is China really the problem? Tire manufacturer? Components/materials or design or construction or combo?

Go to a tire store and look what the country of origin is...you will see a lot of Chinese tires. IMO it is the cheap that gets the business to the average consumer.

I personally think it's plain and simple. Quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Is China really the problem? Tire manufacturer? Components/materials or design or construction or combo?

Go to a tire store and look what the country of origin is...you will see a lot of Chinese tires. IMO it is the cheap that gets the business to the average consumer.

I personally think it's plain and simple. Quality control.

If you ask the store owners why they only stock Chinese ST tires, I think most will tell you that is all they can get as there are little to no options. So is what my local shop tells me.
They all sell high end tires for cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, etc, but would sell expensive quality STs if they were available. Their providers don't have them either.
I would be happy to pay double for a tire I had confidence in over the China bombs. I now have Maxxix made in Thialand. Don't know if they are any better, but they sure as hell couldn't be worse than the Shandong trash.
I believe also that most are buying tires they know nothing about and have little to no research on them, just hoping to "get by". You get what you pay for, but what do you do when there are no options?
Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
If you ask the store owners why they only stock Chinese ST tires, I think most will tell you that is all they can get as there are little to no options. So is what my local shop tells me.

They all sell high end tires for cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, etc, but would sell expensive quality STs if they were available. Their providers don't have them either.

I would be happy to pay double for a tire I had confidence in over the China bombs. I now have Maxxix made in Thialand. Don't know if they are any better, but they sure as hell couldn't be worse than the Shandong trash.

I believe also that most are buying tires they know nothing about and have little to no research on them, just hoping to "get by". You get what you pay for, but what do you do when there are no options?

I am not a Cooper tire fan...but it is local. I have inquired several times about trailer tires...no help. I emailed corporate...they did respond with...we have no intention of making trailer tires. Maybe they will stay in business.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #33

Just put 4 Maxxis on our Aviator with three Hercules as spares. Maybe this year we can make the FL Keys with less drama than last year. The Akurets that came off are stacked in the garage. Maxxis is made in Thailand. Only option we had for 15'' ST tires that were not made in Shandong China plant.
There is a big market for good trailer tires, but NO companies seem to want to tap it. Go figure! Thought that would be marketing 101.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #34

Goodyear tires

Just come across a tire company API they make the Gladiator QR35TR 235/85 R16 they make big truck tires has any one else know anything about these tires.
jbaird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires