Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #1

Hail damage or is this ok rv guy?

We had a bad hail storm 10 days ago. Some minor damage, maxx air vents broken, spare tire cover damaged, awning fabric damaged and when I went on the roof, The rubber membrane had what I would call bubbles in 8 or 10 spots. It looked like the membrane was no longer glued to the underlayment, and bubbled up maybe a 1/8 of an inch. Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks Bob
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just courious how was the awning fabric damaged?
man that hail sucks!
Got my truck to camper was fine. Whew!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Team

We also had hail. My trailer is mostly under a metal shed but the nose sticks out
about 2 feet. I went on top and found bulls eye marks in the caulking that goes
all across the front of the roof membrane. The joint where the roof meets the front
fiberglass. No marks I could see in the fiberglass. The caulk looked OK just dented
but I put some more on top of the dents. Also found both corner trim strips broken
on top. This is the little removable strip that covers the screw heads on the corners.
It begins at the top and runs all the way down the side to the bottom front and rear
corners. I just caulked the holes in this trim strip as it cannot be seen from the ground.

I also found a broken front clearance light-- check yours carefully. Also check
tail lights!!
As far as the roof membrane goes, mine looks OK. If I were you, I'd keep an eye
on yours and watch for future cracking where you now see those "bubbles".
Most roof membranes are not completely glued down. A few spots usually seem slightly
loose to me. I've not had a problem yet.
OTOH, if you're thinking of making a claim on insurance I'd for sure want a
reputable dealers opinion on the roof membrane!
I think the guys over at Louisville RV on Outerloop are pretty good. Why not
ask them?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #4

Not sure what your bubbles are, but since you have them and were in a hail storm I would recommend having the roof looked at. Hail will cause premature roof failure and it is hard to see, the hail will create little cuts in the membrane.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

awning damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Just courious how was the awning fabric damaged?
man that hail sucks!
Got my truck to camper was fine. Whew!
The damage is where it is rolled up next to the side wall at the top. So the holes are next to the sidewall.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald1945 View Post
I want to install an awning on the slide out but can't find any info on where to install the hardware as i'm afraid to damage the trailer. HELP!
Donald...first, WELCOME to the site. Now, since this thread is about hail damage, and started by someone else, you should start your own thread for this. It won't get lost in this thread, and will very likely get seen by a lot more people.

qepv...I would have your insurance company come out and have a look. They would likely be able to tell and get you the help you need.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Bob - I'm not sure if you sent in the recent inquiry to our Customer Service group on small bubbles or not but if you didn't, I'd suggest sending some pics into our guys to take a look. Try this email - rstickel@forestriverinc.com - Roger is our Retail Manager and would be happy to help.

In general, its not unusual to have small bubbles and minor lifting particularly at the seams and rarely is this cause for concern. However, the hail could affect your roof and having someone take a look on site might be advisable.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #8

If you do make an insurance claim they will tell you to get an estimate of the repair of damages. So you might want to go ahead and do that as well. Just a heads up.