Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Hard wiring a surge protector in Crusader

Hey All,

I plan on installing a Progressive Industries EMS HW50C hardwired surge protector in our new Crusader 335BHS. We've only had the coach for a couple of weeks and I haven't been able to dig into it too much yet (snow covered at the storage lot), but trying to figure out where to mount the EMS. On our camper, the electrical panel is in the kitchen under the stove. Does the main feed run from the outside connection into the front storage area near the battery first and then to the panel, or straight to the panel and then get distributed from there? I'm hoping it goes to the front storage area so I can mount the EMS in there near the battery and cutoff switch that I'm also installing. Otherwise, I'll have to find a place near the panel to install it, maybe in the pantry.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers!
hockey dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Where's the exterior 50A plug in relative to the breaker panel? When I wired up my 30A surge protector, there was only a 4' cable run inside the camper to the power center.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Denver, CO

In my 5er the cable runs from the midpoint driver side all the way to the curb side and back to the breakers under the stove, prob 15 ft at least. My plan is to install the surge unit as close to the plug as convenient and mount the remote below the TV.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

There's a 50A detachable connector on the driver side just behind the basement storage area/docking center. The panel is on the curb side mounted in the kitchen cabinet below and to the rear of the stove. If you look here at the floorplan: linky , the connector is roughly where the wall is between the shower and entertainment center, and the panel is in the cabinet between the stove and refer. If the feed goes from the connector to the panel, then I'd have to find a way to extend the cable to reach into the pantry to the rear of the refer.

Just trying to save myself some time and figure out where to start looking when I get the chance to mount the EMS...

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #5

Based on that info about the plug location, I'm going to guess that your RV is similar to my Sanibel. If I'm right, the rear wall of the basement will be easily removable giving you access to the wire behind that plug.

You might want to wire it in closer to the panel in order to put the remote display where you want it though.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If I were you, I'd disconnect the cable from the service connection and connect that to the output side of the surge protector; buy a new length of cable to connect the input side to the service connection. You could mount the surge protector on the sidewall of the basement and run the remote line up into the EC and mount the display.

What I described is how I wired mine thinking that I could remove the surge protector when I sold the camper if I chose and rewire the original cable to the service connector.

Dave

Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Owner/Operator

My thoughts are to mount the SP behind the AC Panel. Just remove and connect the wires going to the AC Panel mains and move them to the SP Input. Then a short run of wires from the SP to the AC Mains.

The Remote can then be located wherever.

Not knowing what else is behind the AC Panel, I'm assuming that there is room.

If the SP is removed, just reconnect the original way it was wired.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If I were you, I'd disconnect the cable from the service connection and connect that to the output side of the surge protector; buy a new length of cable to connect the input side to the service connection. You could mount the surge protector on the sidewall of the basement and run the remote line up into the EC and mount the display.

What I described is how I wired mine thinking that I could remove the surge protector when I sold the camper if I chose and rewire the original cable to the service connector.

Dave
X2 as this is the easiest solution and there is enough cable on the remote to put it anywhere.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
My thoughts are to mount the SP behind the AC Panel. Just remove and connect the wires going to the AC Panel mains and move them to the SP Input. Then a short run of wires from the SP to the AC Mains.

The Remote can then be located wherever.

Not knowing what else is behind the AC Panel, I'm assuming that there is room.

If the SP is removed, just reconnect the original way it was wired.

RodeoGeorge
This would work to but not much room back there, maybe.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

Thanks for the help! If it EVER gets warm, I'll look into mounting it in the basement and running the remote display up into the camper - maybe mounting the display on the wall in the hallway near the slide switches.

Cheers!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #11

I would not remove the surge suppressor when selling the unit, 1. makes a good selling point and 2. it is probably going to be "wearing out" as each time you power up, it has a mechanical switch and that will wear out - someday. Just sayin'. And you can then buy a better, improved version.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #12

Forgive my ignorance everyone, but I'm not too familiar with the surge protector situation (although it makes sense). Could someone please give me a rundown on how/why a surge protector is necessary? I've looked some up online and noticed that some are a "pigtail" types and some that are hard wired. Are there benefits to either? As HD well knows, we also have the Crusader 335BHS on order and due to arrive the beginning of April. Thanks guys.

2010 Ford F250 SD XLT FX4 with 6.8L Triton V10
2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
SD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD10 View Post
Forgive my ignorance everyone, but I'm not too familiar with the surge protector situation (although it makes sense). Could someone please give me a rundown on how/why a surge protector is necessary? I've looked some up online and noticed that some are a "pigtail" types and some that are hard wired. Are there benefits to either? As HD well knows, we also have the Crusader 335BHS on order and due to arrive the beginning of April. Thanks guys.

Maybe this article will answer your question... Do you need a surge protector for your RV?

IMHO, the hard-wired gets rid of the risk of theft and that's the reason I installed one. The remote display is also very handy in monitoring amps and thereby, avoiding trips.

Dave

Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #14

I suggest you do a search. There are quite a few recent threads on this topic. This may help as well: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279
Old 03-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #15

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oos-34905.html
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #16

All great info here. I'm planning on installing the hardwired 50a in the Beast this spring.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #17

Thanks for the info everyone...great stuff. It looks like I'll be researching which surge protector to buy since the alternative could be much more expensive than the actual device. First glance, it looks like the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C might work well. It has a metal loop that you can secure with a padlock. Pretty cool.

Thanks again.

2010 Ford F250 SD XLT FX4 with 6.8L Triton V10
2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
SD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #18
Owner/Operator

This might help you decide on which Surge Protector to buy.

I posted this link on another thread, but will repost here.

RV Surge Protector Comparison

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #19

Hey SD - I have the Progressive Industries 30amp portable version, used it with the travel trailer we sold back in December (looking to sell the 30A PI if anyone's interested). It worked well, shut us down a few times for under-voltage, and it is easy to lock to the pedestal. The one thing I didn't like about the portable version is having to go out to the pedestal to see the display (gettin' lazy!). That's why I want to install the PI 50A hardwired in the new coach with the remote display inside.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
This might help you decide on which Surge Protector to buy.

I posted this link on another thread, but will repost here.

RV Surge Protector Comparison

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge,
I re-posted your link on another forum and it was quickly pointed out that there are some significant errors in their "comparison chart". I sent the company an email asking if they would be willing to correct those errors and haven't received any reply.

It might be best not to post links to this comparison chart unless it is corrected. It gives a very inaccurate view of reality.