Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

Question Has anyone used the new Ford F-150 Eco-bust to pull their Primetime?

I was looking to trade in my 08 2500HD 6.0 for a Ford F-250 diesel to pull my 2900BHS when I saw the the V-6 Eco-bust. Has anyone bought one and do they like it. Inquiring minds would like to know?
gimp425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp425
I was looking to trade in my 08 2500HD 6.0 for a Ford F-250 diesel to pull my 2900NHS when I saw the the V-6 Eco-bust. Has anyone bought one and do they like it. Inquiring minds would like to know?
No duramax ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #3

What is a 2900NHS?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #4

Oh, a 2900BHS
At under 7500 lbs GVWR, an EcoBEAST with full tow options will pull the heck out of that camper. No reason to go diesel whatsoever.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Do a search for EcoBOOST, and yee shall find. Numerous post on here about the new Ford engine, and all I have read say it pulls really well.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Everything I've heard and read has been positive. In fact, I just got off the phone with my salesman about trading our new 3.7l for the eco boost as well.

Gotta go find a sedative before he calls me back...
PawPawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Buddy of mine traded in his six month old ecoboost for an f250 diesel, asked why...he replied the gas mileage was not as advertised...gets much better mpg with diesel.

He liked the power in the ecoboost but also decided he needed a truck to do a wide range of towing under different terrains...horse trailer, boats, rv, etc, no worries with 6.7 diesel now and in the future.

(BTW I own a Duramax)

Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Buddy of mine traded in his six month old ecoboost for an f250 diesel, asked why...he replied the gas mileage was not as advertised...gets much better mpg with diesel.

He liked the power in the ecoboost but also decided he needed a truck to do a wide range of towing under different terrains...horse trailer, boats, rv, etc, no worries with 6.7 diesel now and in the future.

(BTW I own a Duramax)
Everyone's situation is different, but most RVers only pull occasionally, and use their TV mostly as an everyday driver. That is where the EcoBEAST is the perfect fit. No diesel will come anywhere close to the EcoBEAST in mpg when empty.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Everyone's situation is different, but most RVers only pull occasionally, and use their TV mostly as an everyday driver. That is where the EcoBEAST is the perfect fit. No diesel will come anywhere close to the EcoBEAST in mpg when empty.
recently on a trip of about 600 miles around, my employee had an average mpg of 23 hand calculated in his 2011 cc, fx4 ecobeast, and i had an average mpg of 20.8 hand calculated...both empty, same road, same trip, same day....so empty mpg was fairly close...obviously with the higher price of diesel and his slightly better milage, his trip was a lot cheaper fuel wise.....

in city driving he has been getting 16mpg and i have been averaging 14.5 with my small apartment of a truck...LOL

we have also hooked up my 8500lb lacrosse 318 to his truck just to get a comparison...the ecoboost has a torque curve VERY similar to a diesel and really pulled well! ....of course my 250 felt way more planted, and stable than his. Although i would not want to tow my trailer with his truck, as i am somewhat spoiled by the 250 and its abilities, i have no doubt whatsoever that his would do the job if necessary! With his smaller trailer at around 5k it tows every bit as good as my 250...(but 5k on my 250 is hardly even noticable)

honestly, i probably did not NEED to buy a diesel, as any way you slice it, they are a lot more expensive to purchase, operate, and maintain vs an ecoboost (about 15k sticker in my case). Not to mention everything else i tow is under 5000k which the ecoboost would have scoffed at...On top of that, my commute 75% of the week is about 20 miles round trip, and towing accounts for about 20% of my mileage yearly.

A lot of my buddies give me grief for my "cadillac", daily driven, sometimes tow truck, and question my thought process on purchasing so much truck....my answer...my money, my toys...and that 20% i do get to let her do her thing and TOW, it makes me every dang time!! I have other trucks/cars i COULD drive to work....but i LOVE my truck...

sorry for the long rant....second cup of coffee kicked in!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Camper Less Camping

I agree that the EcoBoost would be a great TV that is mostly a daily driver and towing a 9K# and under RV for weekend warrior trips that fits most of the RV crowd when considering the data shows that TT make up about 70% of RV ownership.

At the end of the day, buy what you can afford and most importantly what you want! Happy Camping

Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I agree that the EcoBoost would be a great TV that is mostly a daily driver and towing a 9K# and under RV for weekend warrior trips that fits most of the RV crowd when considering the data shows that TT make up about 70% of RV ownership.

At the end of the day, buy what you can afford and most importantly what you want! Happy Camping

yeah...but you know how us "rv'ers" are.....always dreaming how nice it would be to tow with a bigger whatever...LOL...i wonder how a peterbuilt would handle my trailer???

In the end it was actually my wife who TOLD me to get the 250...i was actually at the dealership about to order a eco 150, and she saw how i looked at the 250 with lust and desire....she said..."DUDE...just get the dang f250 already and make it your "other" wife"........she knows me so well! LOL...
Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

We have an f150 ecoboast and have used it to pull a very big and heavy boat. No problems compared to our other vehicle. We had an outback TT and it pulled it like it was nothing. We just purchased a Lacrosse 318 that we are picking up next week. Not sure how that will pull but power wise, according to the owners man it should pull 15000 with our equip pkg.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #13

yeah, his pulled my 318 pretty dang well.....only "issue" we saw was that the last time i went out i had a tongue weight of 1260lbs..... his crew cab ecoboost with max payload topped out at 1720.....add on the wd hitch and that only left him about 400lbs before he was over payload.....so yeah it will pull the trailer, but in that trim its near max out....a wife, kids, snacks n a few lawn chairs....thats it...lol
Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the great responses, they’ve been very helpful. This is my first and hopefully last TT I will ever buy, we love it.

I call my weekend camping trips “My one tank trips”, where can I drive on one tank of gas and have a great time about once a month. During the summer we do make one long trip for two or three weeks somewhere in the U.S As much as we like to think of Texas as its own country, which it is, we do like to see other parts of this great land.

All my research is saying the Eco-boost will be just fine for the type of RV’ing I do. Not to mention the F-150 would ride smoother and get much better mileage then my 2500HD 6.0 gas in every day driving. I just can’t justify getting a diesel for what little towing I do and the distance I travel. My 2900BHS weighs 6025 LBS, I weighed it right after I bought it, I usually carry about 10 to 15 gals of water in the tank, to wash our hands after a luxury lunch in the Wal-mart parking lot and in case someone needs to use the facilities.

Being a Chevy guy I put Eco-bust in the title but I went down to my local Ford dealer this morning and test drove an Eco-boost and boy-howdy has my attitude changed. That little engine is a screamer. I was begging the sales manager to let me take it home and hook up my TT and put it through its paces and really see if it’s as good as they say it is. I told him he could take video and I would write a testimonial on how great it was. Well, needless to say he said no, not because he didn’t want to but his demo model only had 220 miles on it and it wasn’t broke in yet.

Any other advice and opinions would be appreciated.
gimp425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

If you can, get one with a max tow (11,300 lbs) and the max payload (GVWR 8200 lbs) options. Chances are that you won't find one on the lot now, but would have to order. The extra payload for the next camper, even though you say this one's the last...haven't we all said that before...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp425 View Post
Thanks everyone for the great responses, they’ve been very helpful. This is my first and hopefully last TT I will ever buy, we love it.

I call my weekend camping trips “My one tank trips”, where can I drive on one tank of gas and have a great time about once a month. During the summer we do make one long trip for two or three weeks somewhere in the U.S As much as we like to think of Texas as its own country, which it is, we do like to see other parts of this great land.

All my research is saying the Eco-boost will be just fine for the type of RV’ing I do. Not to mention the F-150 would ride smoother and get much better mileage then my 2500HD 6.0 gas in every day driving. I just can’t justify getting a diesel for what little towing I do and the distance I travel. My 2900BHS weighs 6025 LBS, I weighed it right after I bought it, I usually carry about 10 to 15 gals of water in the tank, to wash our hands after a luxury lunch in the Wal-mart parking lot and in case someone needs to use the facilities.

Being a Chevy guy I put Eco-bust in the title but I went down to my local Ford dealer this morning and test drove an Eco-boost and boy-howdy has my attitude changed. That little engine is a screamer. I was begging the sales manager to let me take it home and hook up my TT and put it through its paces and really see if it’s as good as they say it is. I told him he could take video and I would write a testimonial on how great it was. Well, needless to say he said no, not because he didn’t want to but his demo model only had 220 miles on it and it wasn’t broke in yet.

Any other advice and opinions would be appreciated.
sounds like you dont need no more advice to me!...like dave said, if you can find one in max pay trim, that would be nice...

when i was on the verge of ordering mine i wanted the 6foot bed and not the shorter 5.5...you cant fit a dirt bike or a sheet of plywood in that shorter bed...plus i thought it looked better....needless to say there were NONE to be had anywhere near me and i was going to have to order one.....ended up having to order my 250 anyway, as they didnt have one specd out exactly like i wanted either..

i tell ya, ford really has a couple of winners with the new ecoboost and the new 6.7 "scorpion"...i think for what your wanting, you are exactly the person ford made that ecobeast to please!

good luck with whatever you choose!!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyrarnold View Post
We have an f150 ecoboast and have used it to pull a very big and heavy boat. No problems compared to our other vehicle. We had an outback TT and it pulled it like it was nothing. We just purchased a Lacrosse 318 that we are picking up next week. Not sure how that will pull but power wise, according to the owners man it should pull 15000 with our equip pkg.
15k? I thought max tow was 11.3k?
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #18

I tow a Lacrosse 318 with a F150 Supercrew XLT 4x4 157" with max tow.....It tows it great. Not enough o's in smooth to describe how it tows. You do not need a 250...I have towed over large brigdes, highways, long 8-10%grades handles everything very well. I do get better mileage if I use 93 octane. This truck, with the max tow, was made to tow. Integrated brake control, sway control, power, great torque curve. Love the way it tows.....
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

My cousin has one currently pulls a 38' TT. He says it gets great gas milage until he hooks up. Then its not so good.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6

15k? I thought max tow was 11.3k?
We have a 4x4 so it's a little less than the 4x2. That one tows close to 17,000 I believe.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote