Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Hello, new Lacrosse 311RLS owner & A/c question!

Just wanted to say hello to my new Primetime family. My wife and I just sold our first TT (2008 Fun Finder 24') and bought the 311. I brought it home almost 2 weeks ago. We are making a one night shake down trip on Saturday. Hoping like heck all goes well!

I do have 1 question, this trailer is 35' and has only 1 15k A/c. Being in SE Texas am I going to regret this decision? I am actually kind of concerned about it and hoping that I didn't mess up.
Houstonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Forgot the pics. Pay no attention to the truck squat/hitch set-up. I am slowly getting that worked out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130608_134315_resized_2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	33582   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130608_134408_resized_1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	33583  
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #3

I think you'll be OK by the looks of the location on the A/C unit. Plus, it's a 15K. Our 303 RKS has the A/C unit mounted further back and I believe it's a 13K. When in Myrtle Beach in the middle of July, we sometimes have to use a fan in the bedroom to help pull the cool air to that end of the TT.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
zagles

You will be fine I have a 301 with a 13.5k, in south texas spent the past 5 months in, it gets a little hot in mine 77 degrees up front and 78 in the back by the chairs at 95 plus. I like the 311 I have the same vs the cabinets on the side of the sink, I may move to a 15k when this one goes out.
zagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

Awesome, thank you guys for your input. I will definitely find out Saturday how she cools.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #6

We are two years into our 318BHS purchase. IMO, 15k AC is necessary in these parts (TX).

In most cases the 15k unit keeps the unit "serviceable" (but not cool) in 100 degree heat with no shade. With shade, no problem.

Most heat gain seems to come from slides which have thinner walls/insulation in roof. A slide awning may help, though we have not tried that yet. Bunkhouse gets hot, as ducts don't move enough air.

A bigger issue has proven to be breaker trips due to combined AC and water heater loads. Switching to gas water heat in high AC load conditions remedies this issue.

We have also noticed a "cool breeze" at cable outlets. not sure how well PT seals their AC ducts. Nor whether this is an additional load which hampers the AC.
SK_AusTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #7

Thanks SK, we took the trailer out for a shake down trip a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed with the AC, keep in mind we came from a 24' trailer that you could hang meat in during the summer.

We arrived at 2pm and it was blazing hot. It did take a quite a while for the trailer to cool down. At 9 pm the trailer was cool but not as cool as I would have preferred. I left the thermostat on 68 all night just to see how cool it would get. Of course the compressor ran all night. When I got up I started bumping up the temp and the compressor kicked off at 73 which felt great.

We are headed to Fredericksburg in a couple of weeks for 4 days. I will be able to get a better idea of how it cools.

Hopefully I don't regret not getting a trailer with duals. We are buying a fan to keep in there and move the air.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

we have found that by putting the water heater and inside fridge on gas,we can run outdoor kitchen fridge and a/c on high with no breaker problems,on our 318bhs.
GT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT MAN View Post
we have found that by putting the water heater and inside fridge on gas,we can run outdoor kitchen fridge and a/c on high with no breaker problems,on our 318bhs.
30 amp and a 15k ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagles View Post
You will be fine I have a 301 with a 13.5k, in south texas spent the past 5 months in, it gets a little hot in mine 77 degrees up front and 78 in the back by the chairs at 95 plus. I like the 311 I have the same vs the cabinets on the side of the sink, I may move to a 15k when this one goes out.
Lol you'll likely buy a new camper before that 13.5k goes to sleep
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK_AusTX View Post
A bigger issue has proven to be breaker trips due to combined AC and water heater loads. Switching to gas water heat in high AC load conditions remedies this issue.
My main A/C is a 15k. When I'm on a 30amp site, I almost always run the water heater on gas after a bunch of breaker trips. We're down to almost avoiding them entirely.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK_AusTX View Post
We are two years into our 318BHS purchase. IMO, 15k AC is necessary in these parts (TX).

In most cases the 15k unit keeps the unit "serviceable" (but not cool) in 100 degree heat with no shade. With shade, no problem.

Most heat gain seems to come from slides which have thinner walls/insulation in roof. A slide awning may help, though we have not tried that yet. Bunkhouse gets hot, as ducts don't move enough air.

We have also noticed a "cool breeze" at cable outlets. not sure how well PT seals their AC ducts. Nor whether this is an additional load which hampers the AC.
the breakers in the camper trip?? I have yet to see one ever tip in my trailer while on shore power or genny power...on a 30amp site I can run front 15k a/c , wh, fridge, rear fridge, tv, and even microwave without issue...on 50amp service I can cool the trailer to 70 degrees in direct sun with 100 plus ambient outside tx heat...?

anyway, are you saying the breakers on the TRAILER are tripping? and if so which ones?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote