Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
Exclamation Help choosing an RV

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are currently shopping around for an RV. We currently own a Jayco 23' TT that we find can be a little too small on long trips. Since we are planning a family we decided to look at TT with bunks and my wife fell in love with the Lacrosse 318BHD. Now I have a few questions and I'm hoping some of you can help us make our decision.

Has anybody had any issues with this trailer? If so, how is the Prime Time customer service?

Does it tow well? Our current trailer only has leaf spring suspension and "bounces" around on rougher roads which makes a real mess in the trailer.

Is it much more difficult to back into a campground then a shorter trailer?

Our tow vehicle is a 2010 F150 crew 5.4.

Thanks.
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #2

I don't have the 318BHS, but I do own a Prime Time tt. I haven't heard of any issues outside of a few of the usual that come with a new tt.
Prime Time's customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Contact them through their web page and they usually get back to you within a day. They take care of problems quickly and correctly.
Read through some of the threads and you'll see for yourself. FRF member RV Guy is part of Prime Time management and he is on the forum almost daily helping us with any problems we may have.

Now I really like Fords trucks and LaCrosse trailers, but a 35' 6" tt weighing 7,729 lbs dry may be a bit too much for your truck. Of course you didn't list any details so it's hard to know for sure.

The Prime Time Tracer line has a 3150BHS with almost an identicle floorplan and it's dry weight is only 6,330 lbs.
Some of the difference between the LaCrosse and Tracers are, the Tracers are usually a little shorter, less caibnets, smaller windows and different slide mech's. However, the wallls, ends and roof are constructed the same as the LaCrosse's.
Here's a link to Prime Time's Tracer 3150BHS page; http://primetimerv.com/default.asp?
page=products&choice=floorviewer&model=tracer&name =3546&series=Executive

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the help.

Here is some information on my truck.

2010 F150 Crew cab 4x4, 157wb, Trailer tow package, 3.73 rear axle, 5.4. According to the Ford towing brochure it is rated for 1540 payload, 9600lbs towing and 1300lbs max hitch weight.

We do have some gear that we bring in our trailer. I would estimate (based on the weight of our current trailer) that our gear is 500-600lbs.

The dealership we were at told us that the weight was little over 8000lbs with the propane and battery.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are you against a 5th wheel?
if not check out a flagstaff 8528bhss
half ton towable.

uvw is 7660
hitch weight is 1280

at about $25,543

8528BHSS 5th Wheel Bunkhouse Travel Trailer Value Leader at Cheyenne Camping Center
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

The dealer's estimate of the trailer with options, propane, battery, etc.... sounds about right, but that is still a dry weight. You will still need to add all the gear loaded into the trailer to the 8,000 lb weight the dealer gave you. Dishes, pots and pans, cleaning supplies, food, clothing, towels, any water you may carry in the tanks, etc.... That usually adds another 1,000 to 1200 lbs. That could leave you within 500 lbs of your towing capacity. You can do it, but you'll know that tt is back there. Especially if you have any hills or moutains to climb.

Do you know the GVWR of your truck? Take the truck loaded for camping, including the hitch, and weigh it at a CAT Scales. Subtract that from your truck's GVWR and that will give you your actual payload, which will let you know how much you have left for your tongue weight.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

I was in the exact same boat as you. I really liked the PT line. I was leaning towards the lighter Tracer. My wife loved the 318bhs. As you can see, my wife won. I tow my Lacrosse with a Nissan Titan rated for 9100 pounds with a 1900 pound payload. The 318 tows very nicely....better than my Roo. Your F150 will handle it if you get a good sway/weight distribution system. The only place you will be really close is payload/GVWR. I really like my Equalizer.
I ordered my 318 a year ago when they were offering an incentive....guess what, they are running one again...nice extras. The incentive is referred to the Touring Edition. Check it out on their website. 4000dollars of free upgrades. I really like their new fiberglass front cap. I have all of the other upgrades from last year. Customer service at Prime Time is absolutely second to none! Brandon York, Jeff Rank, Chris Herman were and still are all awesome. They certainly do not forget you after the sale. Great choice for an RV Company.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #7

My wife and I purchased our 318bhs July 2010. We have really enjoyed it. The only issues that we have had were very minor and typical of a new tt. (Loose ptraps) I have seen the 2012 models and they look even better. I did notice a difference in towing it compared to my last trailer. (26' tt) Just the few extra feet does make a difference in wind. Nothing major though, but there was a difference. As far a towing, it tracks well. PT makes a good product. My brother will be more than likely purchasing a 265bhs in the spring. Any questions feel free to pm me.
]
[SIGPIC]
skgeorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #8

Thank you for all the advice. My questions have definetly been answered. I'm pretty sure this will be the tt that we end up purchasing.

Looking forward to being a PT owner.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #9

You won't be disappointed....Did you checkout the promotional upgrades being offered right now?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #10

I have the 296 bhs, 3 ft shorter, and lighter. There is a thread on this forum started by "RVguy". Primetime made a 318 available to their employees. RVguy posted some pictures which showed his tow vehicle...an SUV of some sort. The EZ tow setup (wide spacing of the tandem axles) really helps the tracking of these trailers. They are designed to be towed by 1/2 tons.

Some considerations for you:
1. Mountain towing would likely not be enjoyable.
2. If your dry camping, you'll have water weight of about 400 lbs to add.
3. The Tracer model mentioned above is a lighter weight option or the Lacrosse 296 (same layout minus the pantry next to the refrigerator and 18" of counter top space) is shorter and lighter.

Happy shopping! You will enjoy a PrimeTime trailer, no matter which brand.
'11 Lacrosse 296 BHS, 2- 6V batteries
74bronco is offline   Reply With Quote