Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Hondas from Wise

Bought Wise's Honda 2000i package a couple of months ago for my Crusader 270RET. They work great! Run a single for fans and lights, gang them when we need AC. I've been to lots of campouts and heard lots of generators - the Hondas are, hand down, the quietest out there. You get what you pay for.

2011 Crusader 270RET
2008 F-250 Diesel
NottieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
What tanks to Use?

Just curious as I just purchased a Honda 3000 and the thing that made me purchase it was the run time. You mention extended run tanks and I don't see them as a Honda option. Are yours from Honda or somewhere else? I don't want to "rig" something but the smaller ones just don't have enough run time. The 3000 will run up to 20hrs at 1/4 load but at 140 lbs it's not very portable for one person. The 2000 is much lighter. If I could get a comparable run time I would sell the 3000 and get the two 2000's.

Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
The trailer you have probably has at least 13,500 BTU HVAC. However, a number of trailers are coming equipped with 15,000s. You should determine which one you have.If you have a 13,500 you might get away with something like the Yamaha 2400IS. It will run the 13.5 pretty much reliably below 6,500 feet even on a 100degF day based on my personal experience.

My previous trailer was a Trailmanor and the Yamaha would definitely run the AC plant, TV, lights but forget the coffee pot or hair dryer. Either one of the latter is pretty close to kilowatt load EACH by themselves.

I never tried running the 13.5K on a 2000, and it might do it when conditions are right. But reliable it won't be as you are too close to max current load on the 2000s when the air conditioner's compressor starts up.

The new trailer has 15K AC, and a 2000 absolutely will not run the AC plant. I am using the dual Hondas, but I have seen people using the Honda/Yamaha/Boleys 3000s and never saw them have problems.

There are a number of options on gensets, but they basically fall into two categories: inverter and contractor(non-inverter).

Inverter types have a direct current generator connected to a quality dc to ac inverter. The addition of the control system and some good engineering, yields a genset that is both quiet and has exceptionally pure AC.

Contractor type are the rather conventional small engine powered generators that have been around for decades. Their prices have plummetted and a reasonably reliable 4KW genset can be had for around $400.

The downside for these are that they a spartan to say the least. That is one of the reasons they can be had so cheaply. They do not control amplitude or frequency very well, but they were made for utility and not to power mission critical applications.

This breed is also hard to make quiet too. Noise suppression in genset is more than just putting a muffler on the exhaust. There are plenty of other parts making significant amounts of noise that need to be silenced too. If you inspect a super quiet, you will see that engine is engineered to be quieter and care has been taken to keep the noise from radiating beyond the case.

All that engineering and technology costs money. A super quiet is not just a lawn mower engine in a fancy box.

The other thing to note about all generators is the decibel rating. Decibels are in logarithmic units instead of linear. So just a few decibels difference in noise could be 10 times as loud.

To determine what you need you should put together a power budget. What you do is make a list of everything you want to run and add the watts it takes to run those items. That is your power budget. One thing you should realize is that not all of those items will be pulling maximum draw all the time. If you stagger when you run certain items you won't over load the genset very often.

Another concept to grasp is that inverter type gensets deliver quality power. That is not a dig at the contract types, but because inverter types deliver power at the correct amplitude and frequency, devices run more efficiently on them.

Contractor type have to ramp engine rpms up and down to meet load demands. These rpm changes causes variations in the frequency and amplitude of the power. This can cause devices to run less than optimally. Frequently, you will need a larger genset to handle the load better. I have had appliances that on paper should run on a on something as small as 2KW contractor type, but would not. If I hooked up the same appliance on 2KW inverter type they ran all day without a hitch.

Even so, a contractor type that would power your trailer would cost considerably less than the inverter style. Still a 4KW contractor type that would probably run most of your trailer and 13.5 HVAC is only going to cost a shade over $400. If a Yamaha 2400 would work for you, those start around $1,200 and more powerful gensets more than that.

If noise is not a problem, either for you or your neighbors, a contractor type is a good way to go. That is to say that even if the contractor type does not hold up well (I personally think if they are maintained they will run just fine) you could buy 2 more for the money you save not buying a Yamaha 2400is.

Options for your genset are something else to consider too. Most of the 2KW types, inverter or contractor, lack remote start. People that have purchased the larger gensets with remote start will attach their genset to the rear of their RV on some kind of exterior storage shelf.

By setting up like that, they leave their air conditioner on in the trailer with the genset off. When they are a half hour away from a stop, they will remote start the genset from the cab of the TV, the air conditioner comes to life cooling down the trailer just in time for a lunch or pit stop. Of course these remote features are also nice since you do not have to get dressed to start or stop your genset either.

The advantage of the daisy chainable 2KWs types are on those days when you don't need to run your air conditioner. When you don't need the extra capacity you just run one. Also it gives you the additional capability of using one genset in one location while have the other being used elsewhere. The other advantage is that 2KWs are more man portable. The Yamaha 2400 is about as heavy as any one person should try to move.

The only other thing to discuss are extended run tanks. Short story, Hondas handle that well (because they have a fuel pump). If the genset you pick has a fuel pump, it will likely handle external fuel tanks well.

Hope this helps...

Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
Yamaha generator

I have been using a Yamaha 2400 on my last two travel trailers. First a 31 foot Palomino Puma and now my 29 foot Tracer and it works perfectly with the 13,500 AC. You can't run the microwave and the AC at the same time but the Yamaha never is an amazing generator and quiet, too. If I need to let it run to charge my scooter, or other electrical things along with providing electricity for the trailer (not AC) will run for about 9-10 hours on a tank of gas. Yes, they are a little pricey but it has been completely trouble free and always starts on the first or second pull. When we are dry camping and need power I want something dependable and Yamaha is it. I have it mounted on a bumper carrier on the back of the trailer. Just last night A guy stopped after I had started the generator and said that he had a Honda 2,000 and that my Yamaha 2400 was quieter. Don't know if that's true but it is quiet. As it revs up, though, to power the AC it gets a lot noisier but still less than some of the bigger, cheaper no-name models. The other advantage to the Yamaha "I" generators is that they are safe for powering computers and other sensitive equipment. The big, cheap no-names may not do that. I would recommend the Yamaha to anyone but you have to be sure your AC has a hard start capacitor on it. The newer trailers like the Tracer have them built in from the factory. On my old Puma I had one installed..they are only about $20 bucks and make the difference between the generator running the AC or not.
Originally Posted by fightingirish45 View Post
Help....I need to purchase a generator for my Prime Time 3150 BHS.

I'm not sure what generator size I need. Was once told that I would need a 3000i (from Honda or such), but was hoping I could get away with a 2000i which is at Costco for $450 or so. I also know that you can "pair" this with another one for more power.

I'm hoping it can run either the A/C by itself or the other items while not running the A/C.

Any ideas?
bobaronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
We recently needed a way to generate AC power in order to get my father in law to our house since he lives life hooked up to an oxygen concentrator(severe COPD). So I figured if I was going to buy a genset, that I might as well get one that could run the trailer. I bought the Honda EU3000is and could not be more happy. It runs the entire camper just fine and I can hardly hear the thing. I don't know what load the concentrator creates but it never switched off of idle. I went through about a gallon and and a half on our 740 mile trip home.

I looked at the less expensive gensets on the market but I really wanted an inverter style. Not just for the reduction in noise. I also wanted ultra clean power since we run so much computerized equipment. Could not be more happy!
Mark, Jenny, Adam & Lucy
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
2015.5 Silverado 2500HD CCSB with Duramax/Allison
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #15

So I gave it a go. I purchased the 200i Champion at Costco hoping to "get by." Here's what happened; my neighbor also had one, so I purchased the parallel kit and hooked them up. It would only run my AC if everything else was was turned off, meaning I had to reach back and unplug my outdoor fridge (super pain in the ass). Every 20 or so minutes, it would "overload" and everything would shut down.
So luckily Costco took it all back. Now I've got $600 in my pocket and headed to purchase the Honda EU3000i.
I'm hoping this will allow me to use the AC, TV, Lights, etc. with no problems.
Please let me know if you have experienced problems with it running these items.
I have a 2012 Prime Time Tracer 3150 BHD. The AC is 13,500 I believe.
fightingirish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #16
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Maybe you should look at---------------

Maybe you should look at the BOLIY GENERATOR specs and price. I have the manual start and love it. I Modified it to run 16 hours at a full load.
will handle the 15K BTU AC, microwave, TV, at the same time. Weighs only
68# dry. Less than $1000.00 shipped!
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
Go Pak
Check out the new Champion 3100 inverter at SuperGen.

Then go to "shop" and page three.

I would do the stacker as lifting the smaller units one at a time is far easier than lifting that big boy once.
2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2501SS
2012 F250 Lariat 4x4 CC LB Boss 379 3.73 EL
Propride 3p Hitch
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Depending on how much you use the generator, I bought a Dometic 3000watt inverter generator and it worked fine. Bought as a backup, as we generally camp full hookup. Paid $649 on special. While it may not last like a Honda, it fits my needs.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Saw one of these the other day at the store. I'd like to know some of the generator experts thoughts on this model. Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200 at The Home Depot
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Originally Posted by ttrost65
Depending on how much you use the generator, I bought a Dometic 3000watt inverter generator and it worked fine. Bought as a backup, as we generally camp full hookup. Paid $649 on special. While it may not last like a Honda, it fits my needs.
I am looking at he dometic. Where did you get it for that price.

2008 Tundra Crewmax
2013 Tracer 3150 BHD
lvnthenw is offline   Reply With Quote