Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Hole in air mattress

Re 318BHS.....Warning to those who are using the air mattress for the first time on the hide a bed...check for springs sticking thru before sleeping on it or having your mother in law sleep on it....we didn't! Three or four ends of springs stuck thru the blue covering and punctured good size holes in the air mattress....glad she was only staying with us for two nights!!!!
Quality control arg!!!!
Besides hammering the ends in, does anyone have any suggestions?

Just returned from camping in Maine for a week and love our Lacrosse..after 10 years with the popup I kept standing in the kitchen chanting I love you I love you!!!!

The MacKenzies
TrailerMacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #2

my suggestion for your air mattress is not to fold it up in the couch take it off and put it in the drawer under the couch this will stop you for pinching it in the frame which they claim cant be done but i have manage to do three time now they replaced it all three times put i no longer keep it on the couch only under it also a memory foam pad work great on it too daughter loves it on there. You can try and put like a sleeping bag on the frame also to help stop in the tearing of it
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerMacKenzie View Post
Re 318BHS.....Warning to those who are using the air mattress for the first time on the hide a bed...check for springs sticking thru before sleeping on it or having your mother in law sleep on it....we didn't! Three or four ends of springs stuck thru the blue covering and punctured good size holes in the air mattress....glad she was only staying with us for two nights!!!!
Quality control arg!!!!
Besides hammering the ends in, does anyone have any suggestions?

Just returned from camping in Maine for a week and love our Lacrosse..after 10 years with the popup I kept standing in the kitchen chanting I love you I love you!!!!

The MacKenzies
Contact Brandon York...There is a reason that PT has an excellent customer service record....they will take care of you......
Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Air Mattress Holes

We had holes in our 2010 Surveyor Air Mattress because of folding it up under the couch against steel ribs. Fixed with patches and stored it away from the couch. Very bad quality mattress, thin vinyl.
We just had a week in New Hampshire with our new 2012 Lacrosse, air mattress "developed" a pin hole after the first night. Patched it and used for the remainder of the trip. Again, cheap thin vinyl.
We are heading out to buy an AeroBed brand or Coleman for future trips because it is always being used by someone we invite along on the trip and it is wrong to ask them to sleep on a cheap thin vinyl air mattress provided by these RY manufacturers whose middle name is "cheap".
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
How about a folding bed board made of 1/4" plywood?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Just went through this with Flair (the sofa bed manufacturer).

We have an "original" model air mattress (it did not come with a storage bag and had a "flocked" top surface. The replacement model is smooth both sides and comes in a storage bag that Velcros to the back frame.

I got a pinhole in the mattress when the mattress got pinched putting it away. We discovered this the first time we used it and it slowly deflated in the middle of the night.

I used a bicycle tire repair kit to fix the pinhole and it worked great.

The next time we tried to use it it deflated slowly again. Unable to find the leak, I called Flair; and even though it was out of warranty, they sold me a replacement queen size mattress at a "good will" cost of 75 dollars shipped. Since it was the new model, it came with the storage bag and the sealed in 120 VAC pump just like the original. 75 bucks was a great deal on a queen airbed that is MUCH more comfortable that the queen sized Aerobed we also have.

I have since found that there is a yellow tab in the quick deflation port at the front that can partially open if someone sits on it. Since the cap was not completely sealed it slowly deflated. THAT was why I could not find the leak in the material.

We also own a battery powered Aerobed twin for the dinette that is very comfortable but due to poor design can roll you out of bed if you get too close to the edge.

I should have taken the opportunity to buy the "good will" priced twin mattress while I had them on the phone.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air mattress