Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

How do you add Antifreeze to black water flush?

2014 Tracer 2670. Unit is now stored for the winter outdoors at my local dealer..i winterized it before i took it down there. this is my second year winterizing it.. I now remembered that i used the outside flush a few times for the black water.... I forgot to add antifreeze to this flush line.. i didnt do it last winter either.. does anyone know if that water just drains into the black tank and shouldnt hold water? i just wonder if gravity sends the water from the flush to the black tank, or if i have to add antifreeze to that line? I am talking about the line on the outside of camper to flush out the black tank... thank you

Old 11-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

I would think that gravity would empty the line. The line is looped to a high point to a vacuum breaker and should drain both ways as it is open on both ends. When I use the flush line clear water drains back when I disconnect the water hose. However I do blow air through that line when I blow out the other water lines when winterizing. Better safe than sorry.

PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

X2. Open your black drain, hook up your air chuck/line, and blow it out. I don't think AF is necessary.
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Toy-aholic

I hook my outside shower hose to it & use onboard water pump to draw from A/F bottle
Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

I blow air through that line when I blow out the other water lines when winterizing.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
X2. Open your black drain, hook up your air chuck/line, and blow it out. I don't think AF is necessary.
No need to open your black tank drain. Tank is vented. If you think blowing it out will help then do it but as stated the black tank cleanout is open (open spray nozzle on one end probably) on both ends and probably no residual water is trapped.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
2014 Tracer 2670. Unit is now stored for the winter outdoors at my local dealer..i winterized it before i took it down there. this is my second year winterizing it.. I now remembered that i used the outside flush a few times for the black water.... I forgot to add antifreeze to this flush line.. i didnt do it last winter either.. does anyone know if that water just drains into the black tank and shouldnt hold water? i just wonder if gravity sends the water from the flush to the black tank, or if i have to add antifreeze to that line? I am talking about the line on the outside of camper to flush out the black tank... thank you
You probably have been lucky. The line is more than likely PEX. Pex can expand 20% when it freezes before it breaks. I have never put pink in the line but I do blow it out. If you do not have a compressor you can get a hand pump for the pink for about $15 and push that into the line. Any RV supply will have it as well as Amazon. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
I hook my outside shower hose to it & use onboard water pump to draw from A/F bottle
That's a great idea!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
You probably have been lucky. The line is more than likely PEX. Pex can expand 20% when it freezes before it breaks. I have never put pink in the line but I do blow it out. If you do not have a compressor you can get a hand pump for the pink for about $15 and push that into the line. Any RV supply will have it as well as Amazon. Better safe than sorry.
On my rockwood the BTF line is not pex just plain old garden hose, same as my city water connections. Plus the same as my stored FW tank to my pump. I guess every unit is different. I just blow it out with air being it can not hold pressure....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #10

I've used the same method as EXGMTech. I use my outside shower to winterize the BTF. It only take a few seconds to do it while winterizing. Even though the lines are elevated and should drain, the actual flusher itself may not. To each their own, especially your own comfort level. I winter camp and use my water system all winter long and as such winterize many times throughout the winter season. I only winterize the BTF on my first winterization of the year; the same time I cap my outside shower etc.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, black, black water, water