Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

How many are having to make return trips to dealer for repairs to their Crusader

I have a 2012 Crusader 320RLT that I bought in 7/11. I have taken 4 trips of 1500 mls or more and every time I came back home I had to take my trailer back to the dealer.
First trip to the dealer the sound bar had to be reattached because it fell out. The black tank flush had to be repaired because of major leak in basement compartment. Lost gray water valve handle.
Second trip to dealer had to replace Microwave because glass fogged up. Lost black water and another gray water handle.
Third and forth time is was more nick nack problems.
Taking a trip around the end of Oct. and wonder if I'm going to have to visit the dealer again.
How many more happy Crusader owners are on first name bassis with you RV service department?
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #2

Southernsky, Welcome to my world. Yes we are on a first name basis with our dealer now. We bought our 320RLT in April and it has been to the shop 3 times also, the last time it was there for 4 wks during the summer. To fix the AC, gaps around slide outs, replaced sound bar, TV, microwave, fix Refrigerator, fixed awning, just to name a few things. We are hoping were done with everything but I did notice the drain from the gray tank is leaking when you take the cap off also??? Will See ???
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #3

All I'm going to say (and I got wrapped on the knuckles before) is that, it's a darn good thing that PTM has such good customer service because it certainly appears that there are a lot of problems with these units. There, I said it again. Let the sparkes fly.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

There isn't that much difference between how one camper is made from another, they are built with the cheapest materials available and by the cheapest labour. So why should anyone expect a different result?
Regardless how much PT owners like to brag about their units , there is really only small improvements. The components are identical.
We really like our Flagstaff, and wouldn't trade it for a Crusader, as I don't like their small basement, but I also realise my camper is far from perfect. You get what you pay for, and these campers are pretty inexpensive.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
All I'm going to say (and I got wrapped on the knuckles before) is that, it's a darn good thing that PTM has such good customer service because it certainly appears that there are a lot of problems with these units. There, I said it again. Let the sparkes fly.
There don't seem to be anymore problems with Prime Time than with other campers. Customer service seems to be on top of things better than other products.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Don't know if the problems are more than other manufacturers...they sure seem to have pretty good customer service.

I'd would still prefer NOT to have to find out the level of quality of the customer service.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Another thought...I'd much rather fix some of the problems I can with dealer supplied parts as needed.

You just need to be relatively handy and have some tools. That's way better than having your camper sitting on the dealers lot waiting for parts/service. Granted some repairs can only be done at the dealer.

Dave

Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Another thought...I'd much rather fix some of the problems I can with dealer supplied parts as needed.

You just need to be relatively handy and have some tools. That's way better than having your camper sitting on the dealers lot waiting for parts/service. Granted some repairs can only be done at the dealer.

Dave
X2

Most of their problems sound like "new camper bugs". I'm sure they'll get 'em worked out. If not PT will take care of them.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

a couple very simple problems that I could have fixed myself for only a couple $$ but since my dealer is very close and since Prime Time management contacted me directly after reading my questions posted on this forum I decided to let the dealer do it.

BT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #10

Oh yeah...PrimeTime management did contact me one time the first time I had to bring it back to the shop to tattle on the dealers shop but that was about it. When I complained again they said sent us your phone number and will contact you, guess they relized they talked to me already and never called the second time.

I hear all this talk about how good PrimeTime contacts are, maybe they should try being a little more conscious of their product and put in a little more quality workmanship.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsky View Post
Oh yeah...PrimeTime management did contact me one time the first time I had to bring it back to the shop to tattle on the dealers shop but that was about it. When I complained again they said sent us your phone number and will contact you, guess they relized they talked to me already and never called the second time.
I don't know what kind of income you have Crocus but 30 plus thousand dollars ain't too cheep in my book.
I hear all this talk about how good PrimeTime contacts are, maybe they should try being a little more conscious of their product and put in a little more quality workmanship.
Try using this link to contact PT; Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
It's the contact page from their website. I've had very good experiences contacting PT through this contact page before and after I purchased my tt.

&
Old 10-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #12

Thanks grhodes50, that is the page I went to for PrimeTime and that is the results I got. Guess I'm just venting because I bought the trailer and now I'm stuck with it. Just not too happy with their product, but then maybe it's Forest River products. I had a 2007 Sierra and it fell apart in 4 years.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #13

No problem. Go ahead and vent all you want.
I honestly believe that after they get your problems straightened out you'll end up with a very good camper. One you'll be able to enjoy for many years.
Sometimes it's the dealer that makes a difference. I don't know if you're having any problems with yours or not.
If you have an issue you think you might be able to fix yourself, post about it. Lot's of good knowlegable people on this forum that are willing to help. We'll help anyway we can.
Keep us posted on how things are going.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #14

I remember reading a thread about the handles being loose, RVGuy acknowledging and then putting the word out on the floor. I too had the sound bar come loose but it was an easy fix. The rest of your problems sound like 3rd party defects and not really PT's fault. They use the same 3rd party parts as everyone else. Regardless, I hope you get your issues resolved and enjoy your Crusader as much as we do.

p.s.
I think the admins are getting a little trigger happy with the post (or partial post) deleting. There was nothing confrontational about what I said.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #15

It took me almost the whole first year to get my trailer repaired. Most of the problems were due to poor dealer warranty work and practices. PT even had to intervene on my behalf. IMO Prime Time needs to spend more time evaluating the dealerships that become the face of their product after it leaves the assembly plant. Get rid of the deadbeats and sign up the good ones.
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB449 View Post
It took me almost the whole first year to get my trailer repaired. Most of the problems were due to poor dealer warranty work and practices. PT even had to intervene on my behalf. IMO Prime Time needs to spend more time evaluating the dealerships that become the face of their product after it leaves the assembly plant. Get rid of the deadbeats and sign up the good ones.
Hmmm...
You're complaining about the dealership and their ability to resolve warranty work. Some of that responsibility falls onto Prime Time to manufacture campers with a higher level of workmanship that doesn't require fixing at the dealership in the first place.

Dave

Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Hmmm...
You're complaining about the dealership and their ability to resolve warranty work. Some of that responsibility falls onto Prime Time to manufacture campers with a higher level of workmanship that doesn't require fixing at the dealership in the first place.

Dave
I don't think the manufacturing problems are unique to Prime Time as I have had problems with each camper or motorhome I have owned (and it has been many). I buy one with the expectation of "working out the bugs". It is how this process proceeds is how I judge the product.
Hmmmm..maybe I am the Unluckiest Person in the world.
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #18

southernsky, yes my income is relatively high, and $30,000 is not a big deal to us, but my comment on the price was referring to what they have been historically. My old '95 27-foot fifth (no slide) had a msrp of about $27,000, and my new Flagstaff was about $40,000. That is not much of an increase for 15 years and a heck of a lot more camper.
I have no idea what you are comparing them to.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #19

I'm not comparing PT to anyone CROCUS, just stating that the quality is not there. The company I retired from, which you as a retired farmer probrobly used, stressed quality first.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #20

southernsky, I fully understand your frustration, as PT was touted as somehow making a superior product. If you have parts falling off your camper, that is obviously NOT the case. We have had no such issues with our fifth, and we are actually quite pleased overall, and have only had very minor issues, no equipment failures whatsoever.
I guess the lesson to be learned is to not believe the advertising, and we have to do a lot of research before making a purchace.