Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

how to install a bedroom tv

Has anyone installed a tv in the bedroom of a 295 crusader? I am concerned about drilling a hole in the wrong place. There is a sticker on wall but I am not sure how large the backer is in back of the wall. The tv mount I got has 3" lag bolts. It is obvious this is to long. Will a 11/4" or 11/2" lag bolt do the job ? Thanks for any help you can give
jeffscuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #2

Most of the weight from a TV bracket is down, not out, so a long as you get a bite into something solid, there hould not be an issue with length assuming that you are not hanging anything too big. Tap your knuckles on the wall and listen for a more solid sound to tell you where the backing is. Alternatively, you could use a stud finder, but to be honest, I have never tried one in a RV
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #3

There is a backer on the wall. We used a small TV bracket and set it up so I can lift the TV off the bracket when traveling. That way, it's not bouncing up and down on the wall. There are a few available. I then used the same bracket in my storage area so I can either watch TV outside or inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1217519889.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	37542

Here is a picture of the TV mount in our storage compartment.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Toy-aholic

I mounted a bracket and found the backer does not go all the way to the ceiling. The hole I drilled was about 3-4" down and I hit no backer...so I used a short hollow wall (expanding type) anchor. My 20" LED tv stays up during travel and have had no problems. There isn't much bounce in the front of a 5er, matter of fact the bar of soap in the shower which is a few ft. back stays on the ledge.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Short Wing-Its (available at Home Stores) will spread the weight if you miss the backer. DO NOT use a screw too long! Cracking the outside gel coat or going through to the other room will be a disaster .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WING-ITS Fasteners and Bars.pdf (4.82 MB, 193 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

I just completed the installation of a TV mount in my Salem 261BHXL TT. The TT has 2 mount locations, 1 over the dinette and the other in the bedroom. I do not see the need for 2 TV's, so I chose to go with a Bell'o mount for both locations. The mount over the dinette is a fixed mount with tilt only, and the bedroom mount is an articulating mount. The reason I went with the Bell'o design is that the TV can be easily removed and placed on either mount without any tools!! This way during transport I remove the TV for safe placement as well. There is a plate that remains on the TV that you never remove.

As far as mounting, get yourself a stud finder from the big box store, you will feel alot better of knowing where the block is in the wall, trust me. The 3" screws are way to long, the will break thru the other wall. I used 1/4" lag screws, with a washer under the head, and ended up grinding the length down to about 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches long. I used 5 to hold the bracket. Yes that sounds like alot but I did not want it to loosen on the wall. Make sure you predrill with a drill diameter no more than the diameter of the threads.

The mounts work well and I ordered them on Amazon, and recieved them next day, and only paid the free shipping rate.

Darryl

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Ripley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffscuda View Post
Has anyone installed a tv in the bedroom of a 295 crusader? I am concerned about drilling a hole in the wrong place. There is a sticker on wall but I am not sure how large the backer is in back of the wall. The tv mount I got has 3" lag bolts. It is obvious this is to long. Will a 11/4" or 11/2" lag bolt do the job ? Thanks for any help you can give
Hi
I have a 295RST as well. I installed a 22" flat screen with a swivel bracket. The backer board is more than sufficient. I agree the bolts that came with my mount were too long as well. I can't remember what size screws I used but they supply the bigger ones to handle more weight. You will be fine with the shorter ones. I remove the TV when traveling as well.
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #8

I installed a 24" LED TV in my 295RST on a full motion arm. The lag screws that came with my arm were too long. I just used smaller ones. I will post some pictures when we get home, as we are camping now. I leave my TV attached permanently and have no issues. The backer gives more than enough meat to bite into.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I installed a 24" LED TV in my 295RST on a full motion arm. The lag screws that came with my arm were too long. I just used smaller ones. I will post some pictures when we get home, as we are camping now. I leave my TV attached permanently and have no issues. The backer gives more than enough meat to bite into.
I have the full motion arm as well and I assume it will hold but I didn't want to take a chance with the bouncing. Good to know
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

Here are a few pictures.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #11

can you re post the pictures of your bedroom TV mount. They are not showing up on the thread now.

2016 PT Crusader 335BHS
2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country
Lskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

I am purchasing a mount very similar if not the identical mount shown in your picture. The mount I purchased has two bases and one swing are that can be moved from base to base. I was going to put one base in the bedroom and the other base on the solid wood between the storage and propane cylinder compartment. What size TV did you use on this mount?

2016 PT Crusader 335BHS
2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country
Lskeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo