Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #1

Installing slide-out awnings on our 2017 Tracer 3200bht....

We are looking to install awnings on our new trailer and wanted to do it ourselves. Has anyone else done this?
nbcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #2

First of all.... Welcome! I see it's your first post and it looks like you might be taking on a tough project.

But take a look at this thread, Bob O is getting ready to install one on his Coachmen trailer.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-129532.html
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcote View Post
We are looking to install awnings on our new trailer and wanted to do it ourselves. Has anyone else done this?
yes, I did, .... ours was 9 1/2' and do-able by myself, naturally the larger it is the more difficult it will be, ... I would get a dealers price first, you may not save any money by doing it yourself, I didn't, ... our tt came without the slide-out cover and the dealer didn't have the correct fabric to add it that day, ... we were 450 miles from home and couldn't wait over the weekend for them to get it delivered, ... we took the tt home and I did it myself, but the parts alone were about the same price they would charge for the complete installed unit, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Be aware that they are also known as slide toppers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
First of all.... Welcome! I see it's your first post and it looks like you might be taking on a tough project.

But take a look at this thread, Bob O is getting ready to install one on his Coachmen trailer.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-129532.html

It is my first post! I've been reading through the forums for a few days... found this app when I was trying to figure out why our ac and furnace were running at the same time.... I needed to have it programmed to auto
Thank you for the link!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
yes, I did, .... ours was 9 1/2' and do-able by myself, naturally the larger it is the more difficult it will be, ... I would get a dealers price first, you may not save any money by doing it yourself, I didn't, ... our tt came without the slide-out cover and the dealer didn't have the correct fabric to add it that day, ... we were 450 miles from home and couldn't wait over the weekend for them to get it delivered, ... we took the tt home and I did it myself, but the parts alone were about the same price they would charge for the complete installed unit, ...

I will definitely price compare.... was considering diy because we are equipped with most tools and have done many diy projects on our last tt but mostly on the inside. If the $ works I'd prefer to have them do it depending on how long it will take
Old 04-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Be aware that they are also known as slide toppers.

I did not know that thank you!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #8
chesbass

Could be fairly easy if the rails are there installed by PT, mine were
chesba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #9

You got to get it/them on straight or you'll have a bird bath.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have put several on.
I would suggest they are on the upper scale of difficulty for the average DIY'er.

If the rails are already mounted that will help but understand the toppers are spring loaded and can create injury if you don't understand the installation procedure.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

the awning rail is the metal strip, attached to the side of the RV, that holds the fabric against the trailer, .... our tt didn't come with a slide-out topper, so it also didn't come with that rail installed, why would it? .... in our case, that rail didn't come with the awning kit of fabric and mounting hardware, .... it had to be bought separately and also installed, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #12

We just bought a 17 Spartan Toy Hauler and the rails were already installed. Look at the slide outs and look for a track just longer than the slide. Ordered two from amazon and saved $500, dealer wanted $900 to install. I did have to rent two ladders from HD but all in all only took about 2 hours to do both. Good luck.

Tags
awning, slide, tracer