Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Inverter buzzing?

I have a new Crusader 296BHS. It seems when the batteries are charging, that there is a high pitched buzzing noise -- very obnoxious sound right at the circuit breaker panel by the stairs.

I'm guessing that it is happening during battery charging because I tend to hear it when I plug in to shore power and after awhile it goes away (awhile could be 20 minutes).

The dealer today told me that all of the trailers do it and that it is the inverter making the sound and that it is normal. I assume they say "all" they mean Crusader but they didn't clarify that.

I've got experience with computers and electronics and this buzzing/pitch noise does not sound intentional to me.

Is this normal?
kohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think this may be your converter buzzing not your inverter.
If it's under warranty take it back.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
DS ADV Rider

They don't all do it. The better quality ones, such as those used in Airstream's don't make that noise, at least the one that the Airstream dealer put in my previous Forest River Grand Surveyor was quiet - it was an emergency repair on New Years Eve on the way to Arizona

My 2012 Lacrosse has a noisy (a.k.a. cheap) convertor that needs a cooling fan to run whenever it has to power more than about 4 overhead lights. It's totally quiet at low loads, but produces a very irritating high pitched whine when loaded. My solution was to take it to the Airstream Dealer to solve a noisy furnace (that drowned out the TV) and irritating convertor issue. He moved the convertor deeper into it's cabinet, redirected the cold air return into the space the convertor occupied, blanked off the existing return, and used lot's of sound deadening Roxul insulation in appropriate places.

I had no luck getting my PT Dealer to replace the convertor - I also got the "they all do it" response.

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

My Tracer does it also, usually with 4 or more overhead lights on.. Not loud, but I can hear it. I'll follow this thread to see if anyone has any ideas.
Traveling with 3 German Shepherds, Carly, age 4, 85 lbs. Bo-Bo, age 14 months, 120 lbs.
Gypsy Rose, age 14 months, 75 lbs.
JK Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've got an answer especially if it's a Wfco converter.
Throw it in the trash and buy a good one such as a progressive dynamics brand.
Jmo.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #6

I'll look into that TURBS
Traveling with 3 German Shepherds, Carly, age 4, 85 lbs. Bo-Bo, age 14 months, 120 lbs.
Gypsy Rose, age 14 months, 75 lbs.
JK Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Evans View Post
I'll look into that TURBS
You won't be disappointed.
BTW you should get the pd unit with "remote pendent"
Check out pd's website.
TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #8

I get a high pitched noise but only randomly when my heater is running which happens to be right next to converter. Are you sure it's the converter? I'm out in mine now for 10 days and haven't heard the noise once but I haven't ran the heater either. Been running a/c.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #9

It's the fan for the converter. I noticed that when I had just a couple of lights on, the fan would turn on and vibrate. Drives me nuts. But once I replaced all the lights with LED, the fan literally never comes on now, even with all the lights on. There's a chance it comes on when the furnace runs, but I can't hear that over the noise of the furnace.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
It's the fan for the converter. I noticed that when I had just a couple of lights on, the fan would turn on and vibrate. Drives me nuts. But once I replaced all the lights with LED, the fan literally never comes on now, even with all the lights on. There's a chance it comes on when the furnace runs, but I can't hear that over the noise of the furnace.
The biggest downfall of a Wfco converter is the fan/ fans
They cool the unit and if they quit then soon after your converter will let out the magical puff of smoke.
When there making noise it's obvious that before long they will stop all together. .......💨🔥

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

Now I'm wondering if I should make them replace it under warranty, or if it's even worth the hassle.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I've got an answer especially if it's a Wfco converter.
Throw it in the trash and buy a good one such as a progressive dynamics brand.
Jmo.

TURBS
"Sabre owners united"
I'm starting to get a bit tired of upgrading all of the things that really should be standard on a decently built RV..... But, thanks for the suggestion on which brand to go to.

I chose Primetime and crusader because I felt, from their website and sales pitch, that they were trying to do more than the other RV manufacturers in regards to quality. Now that I've taken delivery of a new unit my opinion is that PT is just like other manufacturers. Though, they have a good reputation for honoring their warranty. They had to replace my entire LCI auto leveling system (jacks, everything, they could not find the problem so they replaced the entire thing). I'm still waiting for repair parts to come from PT that have been back ordered for two months.

What's kind of sad but funny is that my RV has been at the dealer enough since I bought it that I have yet to rent a place to store it. The leveling system problem really threw them for a loop. They want me to come pick it up again today even though there are still two parts waiting to come from the manufacturer (light and closet door) that might take another month or so to get here.

Anyway, when I get enough time I will write a rant to PT. I think there is an opportunity in the RV market to really provide a solid unit that doesn't require thousands of dollars in upgrades after taking delivery. They just have to choose not to cheap out on everything to start with. Ok, I will end my rant now.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #13

Inverter buzzing?

Before you rant to PT check the model number on your power Center. Mine is a progressive dynamics 4590 with charge wizard and 90 amp charger. Nothing better available.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
I'm still waiting for repair parts to come from PT that have been back ordered for two months.

What's kind of sad but funny is that my RV has been at the dealer enough since I bought it that I have yet to rent a place to store it. The leveling system problem really threw them for a loop. They want me to come pick it up again today even though there are still two parts waiting to come from the manufacturer (light and closet door) that might take another month or so to get here.

"Backordered for two months"? A light and a closet door that may take another month to get there?

Sounds more to me that the dealer has not even approached PT about them or even ordered them yet! How can a light and door be on backorder? They are regular items for normal production on the assembly line. Surely, they haven't stopped the line waiting for lights and doors.

I would call PT directly and ask if they have been contacted by your dealer about those so called "backordered" parts.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
"Backordered for two months"? A light and a closet door that may take another month to get there?

Sounds more to me that the dealer has not even approached PT about them or even ordered them yet! How can a light and door be on backorder? They are regular items for normal production on the assembly line. Surely, they haven't stopped the line waiting for lights and doors.

I would call PT directly and ask if they have been contacted by your dealer about those so called "backordered" parts.
Yeah, I suspect the truth is that they forgot to order the light a couple of months ago and they just kept assuming it was back ordered because it hasn't arrived. I pushed the issue the other day for them to check on when it would be here -- my guess is that is when they realized they hadn't ordered it. One day I was there for several hours and listened to them training their new parts buyers, so I know they have new people in the mix.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
Now I'm wondering if I should make them replace it under warranty, or if it's even worth the hassle.
I agree 100% with turbo, see if they will upgrade you to a progressive if you pay the 35.00 difference. If not I would bite the bullet and buy the unit and take to them to install or install it your self.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
Before you rant to PT check the model number on your power Center. Mine is a progressive dynamics 4590 with charge wizard and 90 amp charger. Nothing better available.
I'm sitting in an RV park listening to this obnoxious buzz that is louder than my air conditioner. The volume level seems to vary. I'm running my AC and fridge.

How do I tell which power center I have? Where can I see it?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #18

I should note that I don't think this is related to the battery charging anymore. I've been hooked up to 30 amp power for 24 hours and it might be louder than ever. (AC and fridge running.) Even in the middle of the night I could hear it when no AC was on -- just fridge and a couple of cell phones plugged in.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
I'm sitting in an RV park listening to this obnoxious buzz that is louder than my air conditioner. The volume level seems to vary. I'm running my AC and fridge.

How do I tell which power center I have? Where can I see it?
I'm slow. It says right on it. Progressive Dynamics PD4590K18L
Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #20

Are you sure it's not the fan at the back of the fridge? That can be loud.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a

Tags
inverter