Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

Is it possible to overuse/wearout the Dinette bed??

I guess really dumb question. But since im in it for the long haul i might as well get some epinions. Tracer 2670. My older daughter prefers to sleep on the Dinette bed everynight instead of the bunkbed..says its more comfortable..So every weekend thruout the season we are always setting up the bed and then setting up the table again in the morning. I understand that things can break. But being that this dinette bed is attached to the slide is there anyplace that can get worn out due to overuse? im not sure where it screws in? im just afraid that the screws gonna come lose and then start leaking..Maybe im being paranoid for no reason. has anyone broke there Dinette bed? I hate tearing it apart on a nightly basis.. I just dont want to wear something out.... thanks
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Always Learning

No idea, but to answer the question that you didn't ask- why can't you make the bunkbed more comfortable? Foam mattresses are cheap and made a world of difference in my camper for my kids and in-laws.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #3

Good question....I guess I could go that route... where do you guys find cheap foam? I found some at walmart but they want almost $100.00 for a twin size memory foam???? seems abit excessive doesnt it?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

You're not going to wear anything out in such a serious manner. In fact, most are constructed with aluminum frames. Certainly, you may need to replace the foam in the cushions or the cushion covers, but that's normal wear and tear and part of maintaining IMO. We used every aspect of all of our campers over the years - and my godchildren (2 sets of twins) started camping with me as toddlers and have each year in our campers. Nothing harder on a camper than active kids of the same age! Our campers always looked new because we always kept up on the maintenance. You will be fine!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
Good question....I guess I could go that route... where do you guys find cheap foam? I found some at walmart but they want almost $100.00 for a twin size memory foam???? seems abit excessive doesnt it?
I bought custom cut foam from [url=http://www.foambymail.com/The Foam Factory[/url] a couple of times. Once for each of the bunk beds and a second time for cushions for our dinette. My in-laws say that it is a night and day difference sleeping on the beds.

Here's my review:
http://www.learntorv.com/2013/12/foa...il-review.html
Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

Ependydad

I am on that website now... May I ask you, if you remember what product you purchased for the bunks? and what thickness? and did you put the foam with the under/over the current bunk mattress or did you just throw out the current mattress and just use the foam by itself? its good talking to folks that have been thru this.... thanks..
Old 03-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
We put a 2 inch memory foam on our queen in the old PUP, world of difference. Guy that bought PUP wanted it included in the sale, I said no way, it fits my 26FS queen be perfectly! That said, do your research. You may pay a bit more for a Made in USA memory foam mattress but they do not off gas bad stuff like the imports.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
...its good talking to folks that have been thru this.... thanks..
A hearty AMEN to that!! SOOOO much knowledge on this site and so very many friendly people. What a Godsend you all are to us noobies (and others who are not-so-new, but might be in a new situation).
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
No idea, but to answer the question that you didn't ask- why can't you make the bunkbed more comfortable? Foam mattresses are cheap and made a world of difference in my camper for my kids and in-laws.
I agree that the Bunks must need Help,if they are Uncomfortable compared to a Dinette! Also the Hassel of (Setup/Takedown) Nite and Day! Better Foam Better deal! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
I am on that website now... May I ask you, if you remember what product you purchased for the bunks? and what thickness? and did you put the foam with the under/over the current bunk mattress or did you just throw out the current mattress and just use the foam by itself? its good talking to folks that have been thru this.... thanks..
I did the custom cut foam "cushion":
Foam Factory, Inc.: Cushion

I cut it to the exact size of my bunk opening (in my case, about 70" x 30").

In emailing with the folks at the Foam Factory, I went with the "Lux Foam - Regular". For the 2 adults, I went with 4" cushions. For my daughter (then 8 now 11), I went for the 2" cushion.

I use it in conjunction with my existing "mattress". I put it underneath, so you get some extra padding.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

Look at the supports. If you are going to continue to let down the dinette every night, you may need to reinforce them or add a fold down support leg. Supports pulled loose in a RV I rented several yrs ago after 2 months of nightly use of the dinette as a bed.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed