Old 04-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #11

oh boy..... now i just screwed up... i tried to screw a screw in, and that strip lifted up and took all the caulking off of it and i heard a something cracking and splitting underneath.. i just took the screw right out of it as i did that..i dont want to take the rest of the trim off, but it looks like a piece of that slide gel coat that i was screwing into cracked underneath... oh boy... now i probably made this all worse... i called my dealer and he said to take it in next week and they will fix it.. I didnt tell him what i did though.. i hope they can zip a screw in there and just seal up whatever i just cracked under that trim..I am so nervous now... I hate to see what this will cost me...

Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

nervous now

ok, i just took off another screw so i can get a better look... you can see that there is a small crack it looks like under the screw-hole.. I tend to over blow things and over worry... my dealer will have this next week... Is this a fast easy job for a tech to do? it looks like there is somekind of butyl tape under there.. i dont want to pull too hard because the butyl tape is now coming off further down.. i hope they dont have to remove the whole strip because part of it is inside the camper... and probably have to take the slide out to get the last 3 inches of that strip off... do you think this is a big job to fix? or Is this something i can fix myself? im not handy at all.. what are we looking at here? thanks.
Oh, should I foward this pic to primetime and my dealer? i didnt want it to look like i made it worse..should I show this to dealer? the picture that is, or just have them take it apart like i just did?
I looked inside behind the wiper seal on both sides and you can see plastic rollers on the side that are all chewed up...its the same on the opposite side..the screw heads are catching the plastic rollers on the side.. i bet thats what sheared it off..this isnt good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0622.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	74432

Name:	IMAG0623.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	74434
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0621.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	74431  

Old 04-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #13

OMG, I am soooo sorry about all these replys.. i was looking at it again, i was actually able to screw that end down this time, took alot of effort but i was able to get it screwed down while i had that second screw next to it off.... so it looks like i can screw it down myself.. that small crack is covered by this strip... what kind of sealing material do i need to fix this, i assume some kind of butyl tape? and what about silicone? what kind is good? do i just put some tape in there, and also put silicone in there? or should I just let dealer do this? if someone walks me thru it i can probably do it myself..im just not that handy..thanks again.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Go to Lowes/HD/Walmart and pick up some rope caulk. Md Products 71548 90-foot Gray Replaceable Cord Weatherstrip - Walmart.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rope caulk.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	74436  
Old 04-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #15

Oldcoot... can i just put the rope caulk down as far as i can get it? i dont want to take off anymore screws.. i cant take that whole strip off because some of it is inside the slide...and will rope caulk seal everything as good as butyl? and last but not least, am i giving myself an ulcar over nothing? im really worried, but rather not pay dealer $500.00 if this is something that really is easy job...thanks again.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Just blend it in with the caulk that is already there. Just take a deep breath and take your time, you'll do fine.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
DDC

Surely it does not require a screw, Q A would have caught an error so blatant!On a more serious note it looks as though the head has come off and got scrapped causing the mark gouged into the trim.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #18

i think i can fix this myself.. only thing i dont like, is after i have it all screwed down, it looks like water can still wick up underneath this trim... there is no silicone on either side of this slide. im not sure what is protecting the wood underneath it. when you take the trim off you can see the laminated slide and the laminated wood right underneath this..this is a bad design and im afraid water will wick in and delaminate this??? im wondering if i should bring to dealer and have him look at it, or if i should also run bead of silicone underneath this trim also... im assuming PT doesnt think water will get there.. but it would have to i think.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
i think i can fix this myself.. only thing i dont like, is after i have it all screwed down, it looks like water can still wick up underneath this trim... there is no silicone on either side of this slide. im not sure what is protecting the wood underneath it. when you take the trim off you can see the laminated slide and the laminated wood right underneath this..this is a bad design and im afraid water will wick in and delaminate this??? im wondering if i should bring to dealer and have him look at it, or if i should also run bead of silicone underneath this trim also... im assuming PT doesnt think water will get there.. but it would have to i think.
If it would make you feel better, run a bead of silicone on it, but remember the slide is inside the camper when towing and when it's deployed, the water won't run uphill or sideways and up under the trim.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #20

Just so you see what im talking about

this is from underneath the slide... the first picture is with the two screws out, the second is with the screws in... You can clearly see the laminated wood in both pics.. how can PT not see to seal all that? im sure when rain water runs down the side of the slide that it can roll that way and get the bottom of that laminated wood wet? theres no silicone or anything..only thing covering that bottom of the wood is that strip....

Name:	IMAG0626.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	74442

Name:	IMAG0627.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	74443