Old 04-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Is this missing screw important? what would you do?

Its funny how you notice things when you really start to look things overÖ I actually was waxing the slide just now and I noticed there was a screw missing on the bottom back of the slide.. this screw as you can see in the pictures looks like it screws into the slide floor.. I am not much of a mechanic but I really donít want to tow this trailer all the way down to my dealer for them to put .05 screw in there and then charge me $100.00 labor.. Do you recommend that I just leave it as is without a screw, or can I just put my own screw in here? Im not really sure what size screw I would use, should I take the screw out next to it and take that screw to local hardware store and match up the same size? And do I have to put anything underneath the screw when I put them back in? anything to seal it? If it were your unit what would you do? I attached three photos so you can see.. thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0619.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	74419

Name:	IMAG0620.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	74420

Name:	IMAG0621.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	74421

Old 04-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Definitely put a screw in it!
Use silicone in the hole and on the screw.

If water gets behind wall it will delaminate

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"

Old 04-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #3

I don't know.. OC has been running with a few missing screws for years and he seems to get by alright...

I would just take out the one next to it and match it up at the hardware store. As far as sealing it... you might squirt a little lap sealant (or similar) in the hole before you put the screw in for good measure.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Definitely put a screw in it!
You type fast!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
B47

It's a good habit to check all other accessible screws/fasteners in the area to make sure all are there and for proper tightness. There's usually a reason a fastener is missing besides just not being installed in the first place.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Look at the other brackets and verify the no. of screws in them. Looks like the bracket is made for numerous applications.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #7

I just looked, its missing screw... i looked on other side of slide and screw is in there... but i tried for the life of me to screw one in and I can not get a screw in there.. i bet thats why its missing one, they probably couldnt get a screw there in the factory...if you look close it looks like something was scraped or dented..hard to explain.. I ended up just filling the hole with clear silicone.. I hope that should do it..I have a slide topper on the slide that protects some of that slide from alot of water..the topper sticks over the side of slide by a good 3-5 inches.. im sure it gets some wet in rain, but i dont think it gets soaked... Now i really dont know what to do.. camper is at my seasonal site about two hours from dealer.. Do I get a power drill and try to power that screw in, or just leave the silicone in the hole? that bracket looks tight..looks like the other screws are holding it in there just fine..
Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #8

I think you can tell a screw used to be there... the scratch to the left is where the screw pulled out (I'm guessing).
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

It seems to me that a screw was there, something sheared the head off as evidenced by the scratch. You couldn't install a new screw as the shank of the old one is still in place. I would be looking into why the screw head sheared off.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #10

You might not be able to screw another one in because the screw head might have actually got sheared off. The actual screw might still be in there.