Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Joining the Prime Time family!

Just finished up the details and put down the deposit on our 2012 Prime Time Tracer 3150BHD!! We've been looking at a new travel trailer off and on since last September, and seriously since this past February, and we haven't found another trailer with the features, quality and towing weight that was better than the Prime Time.

I've read a lot about towing a trailer this big......I do plan on towing it with a 2009 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4 4x4. I am using an Equalizer brand stabilizer hitch. I know it's big, but the weight on the unit is reasonable, and the dealer has agreed to let us 'test tow' before we finalize the deal.

Any other 3150 owners out there have anything I should know? I have heard GREAT things about Prime Time's customer service, so that is something that is very refreshing to read. Looking forward to joining the Prime Time family!
mcquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

welcome 2 da crew!!!!
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #3

Thanks man - love this part of your sig, btw: 15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all) - hilarious
Old 05-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Congratulations and Thank You.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

Welcome to the crew! I tow the larger cousin Lacrosse 318bhs with a Titan. It actually tows better than my Roo 233 did. I do not think you will have any problems. The EZ Tow really keeps the sway to a minimum. Good Luck.....
Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65
Welcome to the crew! I tow the larger cousin Lacrosse 318bhs with a Titan. It actually tows better than my Roo 233 did. I do not think you will have any problems. The EZ Tow really keeps the sway to a minimum. Good Luck.....
Thanks for your input! Good to see a fellow 1/2 ton driver towing something big The Lacrosse is a fair bit heavier if I'm not mistaken too?

Do you have much trouble finding good camping spots with a trailer of this length? I've never paid attention to it really as we are coming from a 26 foot Jayco.

I can't tell you how excited I am to never have to make a dinette and couch into beds every trip for the kids. Park, level, kick out the slides and grab a cold beer from the outside kitchen - that's MY idea of camping

Did you do some research before going w/ EZ Tow? I had Husky I believe on our Jayco, and heard Equalizer was good so went with it on the Prime Time. I think most WD/stabilizer hitches are built pretty good these days?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #7

Congrats on the rig and welcome to the forum! I tow our Tracer 2670 with the identical truck you have and it tows like a dream with the 4 point equal-i-zer. Your trailer is longer and heavier but I don't believe you will have an issue, but you are going to want to check the trailers weight ratings with what is listed in your TV manual just to make sure your not overloading. Also, are you intending to tow at high elevations?... high elevations rob your vehicle of towing capacity... again check your manual. Post up some pics when you get your rig and let us know about your maiden voyage.
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquid View Post
Thanks for your input! Good to see a fellow 1/2 ton driver towing something big The Lacrosse is a fair bit heavier if I'm not mistaken too?

Do you have much trouble finding good camping spots with a trailer of this length? I've never paid attention to it really as we are coming from a 26 foot Jayco.

I can't tell you how excited I am to never have to make a dinette and couch into beds every trip for the kids. Park, level, kick out the slides and grab a cold beer from the outside kitchen - that's MY idea of camping

Did you do some research before going w/ EZ Tow? I had Husky I believe on our Jayco, and heard Equalizer was good so went with it on the Prime Time. I think most WD/stabilizer hitches are built pretty good these days?
Yes it is about 1000 pounds heavier with 100 pounds more in the hitch. We were originally looking at the 3150 but my wife liked the extra storage in the 318, I liked the slightly heavier frame and did not like the swivel tv in the 3150.
I have not had problems finding sites at all....It sometimes requires prior planning/reservations to make sure there are good sites available. Most PA state parks have nice sized sites as well. Fueling is the only real inconvenience I have noticed. It is a little more difficult to get in and out of fueling stations.

Tags
prime time