Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Just one more bit of poor workmanship

This past weekend while we were camping I noticed one more thing done wrong on our 2014 Avenger. Old problems include, Paneling not attached to the studs at the seams, Shower drain not connected, window gaskets installed upside down, 1/4 inch staples holding dinette back to the 1/2x1/2x10 inch wall supports(guess how we found out about that!). And the newest bit of low quality stupidity, the plastic fenders are mounted on the wrong side of the trailer. The fender on the door side has a support bracket behind it but no screw to attach it. The fender on the Slide out has NO bracket, but HAS a screw ran through it where it should attach to a bracket. But I can't swap them out because the one on the door side is cut out to fit around the water heater. And it is starting to warp. Now I have to add a extra piece to that bracket and put at least three screws in it to pull the fender straight.
We don't go camping to enjoy our camper anymore, we go to found out what else is going to break apart on it. As much as we loved the quality of our Surveyor when this one is paid down enough to get rid of we will never own another Forest River product.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasurveyor View Post
This past weekend while we were camping I noticed one more thing done wrong on our 2014 Avenger. Old problems include, Paneling not attached to the studs at the seams, Shower drain not connected, window gaskets installed upside down, 1/4 inch staples holding dinette back to the 1/2x1/2x10 inch wall supports(guess how we found out about that!). And the newest bit of low quality stupidity, the plastic fenders are mounted on the wrong side of the trailer. The fender on the door side has a support bracket behind it but no screw to attach it. The fender on the Slide out has NO bracket, but HAS a screw ran through it where it should attach to a bracket. But I can't swap them out because the one on the door side is cut out to fit around the water heater. And it is starting to warp. Now I have to add a extra piece to that bracket and put at least three screws in it to pull the fender straight.
We don't go camping to enjoy our camper anymore, we go to found out what else is going to break apart on it. As much as we loved the quality of our Surveyor when this one is paid down enough to get rid of we will never own another Forest River product.
I've had a few trips now without any issues on my setup though I had a slew of them to start. I've about got all the improvements added so the trailer is to my liking.

The downside is that I now often think of a smaller trailer to get into state parks or to handle rough roads. I'm not sure I want to start over with another trailer working out the bugs and adding the improvements that the mfg should have included. Plus, I haven't found a decent floor plan with bunks that is shorter than my 5th wheel from a mfg with a good reputation for quality and features.