Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Lacrosse 296BHS Mod Ideas

We LOVE our TT but I'm thinking of a few mods I'd like to do. Feel free to give me your opinions good, bad or ugly(:

LED light strip under the awning. Instead of hanging our typical rope lights or tacky lights, I'd like to have a LED strip installed on the side of the trailer where the awning meets the wall. They can be ordered right from China off ebay and are usually found in 5m (16') sections.

I'd like an outside access door to the U-dinette - especially the middle seat that is parallel to the outside wall. Accessing this space from the inside of the TT on a regular basis is a pain.

I think it's because the TV is a cheap model but when we're in our bed (queen up front) the colors are distorted and it's nearly impossible to enjoy. On our last trip on a rainy day we tried watching a DVD. I had to remove the TV from the wall and prop it on the bed. I'm thinking of adding a wood wedge to angle the TV downwards to change the viewing angle.

On our previous HTT we had a shelf that could attach to the outside wall under the awning. We could set things like sunglasses, books, or other little things on it and it came in quite handy.

I'm thinking of a cover for the the vents in order to block out the early morning sun on the days we're trying to sleep in. I'm imagining a piece of cloth with button clasps or something similar.

The drawer under our couch never stays shut in transit. We don't load it down very much; we have some board games and light toys in it for the kids. There isn't a place to install a child drawer lock and I tried adding a door stopper wedge to no avail. I'm still thinking about it....

While I'm thinking about it, we added child drawer locks to the pots and pans drawer which works out great. Same problem.. we'd arrive at the CG to find the drawer out and it was only a matter of time before something was damaged. Just adding 2 or 3 pots or pans changes the dynamics so make sure you add the hardware with the things IN the drawer... guess who didn't the first time around(;
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Team

I saw somewhere that someone installed a screw with a loop on the outside end - one above the upper drawer and one below the bottom drawer (into the frame not drawer). Then inserted a thin rod (can't think of it's name either) that went from the bottom drawer to the top drawer.

This is a bad description but hopefully there are enough clues that someone will figure it out.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_d View Post

I'm thinking of a cover for the the vents in order to block out the early morning sun on the days we're trying to sleep in. I'm imagining a piece of cloth with button clasps or something similar.

(;
My DW is a quilter. She took some quilted material and made a square the size of the frame for the vent over our bed. She finished the edges and put 8 velcro dots on it. One in each corner and one centered on each side. They match up with the other half stuck to the frame of the vent. It's thick enough that it blocks the light and when not used it gets folded up and put away.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

I didn't care for the TV that came in our tt either. I picked up a 26" Vizio at wally world and now I receive more channels and have a better picture!

I haven't had any problems with the drawers opening while in travel, but the strap on bedroom door pulled out from where it was mounted on the guide. No damage other than the strap though. Until I get it fixed, I'll remove the door and lay it on the bed while in travel.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #5

I love the idea of accessing the middle bench of the udinnnette from the outside. I had plans to add cabinet doors to the ends of the side benches of the dinette. My year trailer doesn't have the drawers.

For the couch drawer, I thought about a cloth strap with buttons.

I also have the problem with the pot drawer. Child restraints will be installed very soon.

Another problem I have, that expect most others to have at some point, is the pantry cabinet doors opening during transit. These are the doors at the rear, near the udinnette. The problem with these doors are that you don't notice that they are jamming the slide (when opening the slide up after arriving at the campsite). I was lucky enough to catch this before disaster set in the first time it happened. I wasn't so lucky when my son opened the slide the next time. The doors were pulled off the hinges but I was lucky that the slide didn't get "cocked". I plan on child restraints. If PrimeTime is watching this thread, they may be able to integrate a clever solution for future models.

I love this thread, I hope to see more imaginative ideas to include on my trailer. Lovin' it!!

Oh ya, almost forgot planning to replace light plywood in udinnette with 1/4" or 3/8" plywood and hinges.
'11 Lacrosse 296 BHS, 2- 6V batteries
74bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #6

I didn't know the new ones have drawers for the dinette... I like the idea but I think I like having more space instead.

The button and strap idea is where I was thinking too. I'll have to recruit my neighbor who sews.

If stuff is falling inside your pantry cabinet, you might "child proof" that one too. They sell ones that basically zip tie the doors together. Of course this won't help with stuff falling and when you open them it'll just fall out. They sell spring loaded bars to put in there so tall things don't tip.
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF5.4 View Post
My DW is a quilter. She took some quilted material and made a square the size of the frame for the vent over our bed. She finished the edges and put 8 velcro dots on it. One in each corner and one centered on each side. They match up with the other half stuck to the frame of the vent. It's thick enough that it blocks the light and when not used it gets folded up and put away.
Sounds like a great idea! She should set-up a website and start a web-based business. I'm betting that she could sell more than she could produce, at least for a while!

We tried those "pillows" that are supposed to block the vent, but found that they fall out (while sleeping underneath them!).

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74bronco View Post
I love the idea of accessing the middle bench of the udinnnette from the outside. I had plans to add cabinet doors to the ends of the side benches of the dinette. My year trailer doesn't have the drawers.

For the couch drawer, I thought about a cloth strap with buttons.

I also have the problem with the pot drawer. Child restraints will be installed very soon.

Another problem I have, that expect most others to have at some point, is the pantry cabinet doors opening during transit. These are the doors at the rear, near the udinnette. The problem with these doors are that you don't notice that they are jamming the slide (when opening the slide up after arriving at the campsite). I was lucky enough to catch this before disaster set in the first time it happened. I wasn't so lucky when my son opened the slide the next time. The doors were pulled off the hinges but I was lucky that the slide didn't get "cocked". I plan on child restraints. If PrimeTime is watching this thread, they may be able to integrate a clever solution for future models.

I love this thread, I hope to see more imaginative ideas to include on my trailer. Lovin' it!!

Oh ya, almost forgot planning to replace light plywood in udinnette with
1/4" or 3/8" plywood and hinges.

Technicion who gave us our walk thru told us to check those pantry doors before opening the slide. Same with the doors in the entertainmant center on the 303RKS. Guess he had run accross that problem before and made sure we knew about it.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Technicion who gave us our walk thru told us to check those pantry doors before opening the slide. Same with the doors in the entertainmant center on the 303RKS. Guess he had run accross that problem before and made sure we knew about it.
I usually check before opening the slides and I haven't had that problem on my 303RKS, but thanks for the heads up.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #10

The second time that I put out the slide, I did not check the pantry door or the bathroom door. I fix the pantry door and straightened up the bathroom door. My wife did not know until I blabbed on myself with 2 of my kids LOL.

Jester
PS-I will not do that again(HOPE)

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote