Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #41

Forgive my ignorance but what is a rhino ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscconrad View Post
forgive my ignorance but what is a rhino ?

Sent from my iphone using forest river forums

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby-Rhino-rhinos-20108331-468-468.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	57894

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #43
DS ADV Rider

That looks like a small rhino ... and here's a group of engineers packing a huge rhino for the RV SlideOut Design Conference in Indiana ...

Bob
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #44

So is the thing covering the eyes of this beast the popular rhino lining used in truck beds?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
Good question, I forgot to ask

As soon as I get time, I'll take off the external sealing strip on both sides and get a better look at this security screw. Then I'll make a proper access cover, like PT should have done, in case this happens again during a long trip.

I'll take pics and document the process.

Bob
Hey Bob hows that access cover coming along??
Seasonal
Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #46
DS ADV Rider

I took last Thursday morning off from riding to take a closer look at my slideout motor issues. I took a few photos and couldn't really understand how they accessed to security screw, and decided I'd have to call Schwintek next week to get more info. The holes drilled in the coach are aligned with the gearbox, and the security screw should be in the top part of the motor. (This will make more sense when I take some new pictures next week).

I saw the new thread where another Lacrosse 301RLS owner has the same problem. After posting some more comments tonight I went back to the Schwintek website to re-view their videos. I'd totally forgotten that they clearly showed where the security is and that it's HIDDEN under the sliding rubber weather seal. What is really interesting is that the holes the dealer drilled in my slideout and coach wall are NOWHERE NEAR the security screw. How they removed the motor is now anybodies guess, but it does perhaps explain the $400 labour charge - 4 hours labour when the video shows it to take just a few minutes.

Anyway, there's no point in posting the pictures I just took as I really need to start again armed with the correct information - i.e. it's the top screw under the weather seal. I'll drill it, photograph it and give accurate dimensions of it's locations. It would appear to be best accessed via a grommeted hole in the slideout flange rather than through the coach body as my dealer did.

I'll also tackle my dealer to get the FULL story from the Service Tech who replaced my motor.

Bob
Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #47
DS ADV Rider

Pictures of Dealer repairs

Here's a few pictures showing how the dealer tried to remove the Schwintek slideout motor that failed with the slide IN.

1) This is the starting point. Two holes covered in silicone. There was another hole in the slideout flange which didn't seem to align with anything important.

2) Same view but with weather seal removed and that exposed screw which now seems to be the MYSTERY SECURITY SCREW

3) Silcone removed. Top hole looks aborted and lower hole exposes part of the motor.

4) Hard to see screw head was a 5/16" hex (Allen) screw, but it now turns out that it's a gearbox screw.

5) Can insert a hex wrench but couldn't see how that could be the security screw, so didn't try to remove it.

6) This was to give it's location (if it was the security screw).

7) Moved the slide in a bit (new motor was still working ).
and removed the interior weather seal. What an amazing mess the dealer made siliconing it. The base of the seal is actually screwed to the wall and the flexible seal just snaps in over indents in the base, so no silicone was necessary.

8) You can see that the position of the hole on the outside aligns with the gearbox case screw. The security screw is intended to be at the 3" mark where you can see part of a slot about 1/4" wide. There are series of these slots around the motor case. Judging by the amount of silicone on the motor I'm guessing that they never found the security, screw and this one is held in with silicone. The damage to the motor didn't seem consistent with the problem (a seized gearbox) so I suppose brute force got it out.

What I think is needed now is to measure the exact location of that top screw under the outside seal and then plot that position on the slide out flange. Drill a large hole , say 1", to allow a grommet (like the ones on the Lippert power nose jack) to be fitted and provide on-site access to the security screw.

As soon as I can buy a couple of grommets, I'll do the work and post pictures, video, etc.

Bob
Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #48
Site Team

Great work Bob ,thanks for posting!
Can't say the same for the design team who thought up this. Dumb as a box of rocks.
Seasonal
Old 01-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
Here's a few pictures showing how the dealer tried to remove the Schwintek slideout motor that failed with the slide IN.

1) This is the starting point. Two holes covered in silicone. There was another hole in the slideout flange which didn't seem to align with anything important.

2) Same view but with weather seal removed and that exposed screw which now seems to be the MYSTERY SECURITY SCREW

3) Silcone removed. Top hole looks aborted and lower hole exposes part of the motor.

4) Hard to see screw head was a 5/16" hex (Allen) screw, but it now turns out that it's a gearbox screw.

5) Can insert a hex wrench but couldn't see how that could be the security screw, so didn't try to remove it.

6) This was to give it's location (if it was the security screw).

7) Moved the slide in a bit (new motor was still working ).
and removed the interior weather seal. What an amazing mess the dealer made siliconing it. The base of the seal is actually screwed to the wall and the flexible seal just snaps in over indents in the base, so no silicone was necessary.

8) You can see that the position of the hole on the outside aligns with the gearbox case screw. The security screw is intended to be at the 3" mark where you can see part of a slot about 1/4" wide. There are series of these slots around the motor case. Judging by the amount of silicone on the motor I'm guessing that they never found the security, screw and this one is held in with silicone. The damage to the motor didn't seem consistent with the problem (a seized gearbox) so I suppose brute force got it out.

What I think is needed now is to measure the exact location of that top screw under the outside seal and then plot that position on the slide out flange. Drill a large hole , say 1", to allow a grommet (like the ones on the Lippert power nose jack) to be fitted and provide on-site access to the security screw.

As soon as I can buy a couple of grommets, I'll do the work and post pictures, video, etc.

Bob
Hey Bob did you do the grommets? Anymore updates on this would be great!
Seasonal
Old 01-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #50

Oh bummer. Subscribed and I was hopeful for some new info... Been reading everything I can about the schwintek. Preparing for issues (although I've had none yet).

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
lacrosse, slide, slide out