Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #1

Lacrosse 318BHS and 2011 Toyota Tundra

My wife and I have been looking at trailers for the past month. We have one child now but are planning for 2-3 in the future. Combine that with two small dogs, we'll have a good sized crew heading out camping.

It started out innocent enough, looking at 26-28 foot trailers, bunks at the back and queen bed in front, etc. That is until we visited a Lacrosse dealer and my wife took a look at the 318BHS and was instantly sold on the slide out bunkhouse models with the outdoor kitchen. Lots of room for the kids when they're older and plenty of storage.

I too love all the features and space in these floorplans but the length and weight scare me.

The wife will have her way though so we have it narrowed down to two models: the mentioned Lacrosse 318BHS and the Flagstaff 831BHDS. The major difference between the two, since the floorplans are very similar, is the Flagstaff is 1000 lbs lighter.

My biggest concern with the flagstaff is, where does that 1000lbs go? How do you take two very similar trailers and scrape off that much weight? Some compromises made?

Secondly, does anyone have any experience towing the Lacrosse 318BHS with a Toyota Tundra? I know they are rated at almost 10000lbs but this is pushing the 80% recommended safety limit of towing, not much of a buffer.

I'd like to tow a lighter weight but at the same time I want to keep this trailer for 10-15 years and don't want to compromise on quality and end up repairing the thing chronically.

The truck will be replaced quicker then the trailer since I use it for work as well.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Regland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see you checking everything out before you buy. The 318BHS is fast becoming a very popular model. JMHO, but I believe your Tundra will handle the 318BHS alright. Other members on here are towing theirs with ˝ tons. The LaCrosse trailers really tow nicely. Probably due to the E-Z Tow axles with the Equa-Flex suspension.

We bought our LaCrosse last November and have no complaints so far. There have been a few minor issues just like any brand of trailer will have. The difference is Prime Time's customer service. They are the best I've ever seen. Quick to respond and will correct any issues you may have quickly.
Here's a link to their web site, Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels, in case you haven't checked it out already. They provide alot of information on their construction, especially the Eternabond construction. Take the time to read through everything and then use their contact page to ask any questions you may have. They usually get back to you within a day.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #3

I just received my 318 lacrosse and I had the same concerns with my 03 chevy 1500HD. My decision came down to the lacrosse 318 versus the tracer 3150...tracer had basically the same floorplan but was 1200 lbs lighter. The dealer (tom raper of columbus) suggested I hook on to the lacrosse and tow it for several miles and im glad I did, because it towed nicer then my 30' areolite. I have taken it out two times and I haven't regretted the decision. Haven't had any of the "new camper problems" at all with this tt.
phuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Perhaps I can help with your truck question. We tow a LaCross 305res with our 2010 Tundra crewmax. To be fair this is the first travel trailer I have ever towed, (towed some very small trailers and U-hauls and a small older popup occasionally.) We looked at trailers for almost two years, I was concerned with the weight and length of many of the units we looked at. During that time I saw many different reports and reviews of other Tundra drivers and what they towed. When we saw the 305 we knew that was the one we wanted over our other choice the Windjammer 3065. I was quite surprised when pulling IWana (trailers name, as in IWana go there, IWana go here etc) for the first time home from the dealer. There was a moderate cross wind and 60 miles of interstate 80 to cover. I did not have any problems with power or handling. Now that it is loaded up with all the gear necessary it still handles quite well. I tend to not haul water as it is readily available near where we want to camp.
Not having experience at towing anything this large and not knowing what to expect, I had a friend of mine who owns a 35 foot Montana trailer around 10500lbs that he pulls with a Chevy 2500 diesel take mine out for a trial. He felt very comfortable with the our set up. I think your tundra will work very well for you also.
TDewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Cool, thanks for the responses. This is my first travel trailer as well but not the first trailer I've towed, have a work trailer that is close to 5000lbs when fully loaded with materials and equipment, that I barely notice behind the truck. It's only 16 feet long though and the extra weight and length are what concerned me on the travel trailer.

Tdewy, do you mind me asking if you've done any modifications to your truck (air bags, sway bars, tires etc.) that have helped with towing?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #6

I tow my 318 with a Titan without issues. Your only issue with the Tundra is payload. Get a good W/D with sway control like an Equalizer...add airbags and you will be fine. The Lacrosse is superior to the Flagstaff in everyway except... I do like the front cap on the Flagstaff....but everything else...forget about it....I do not care for the flat roof on the Flagstaff either.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regland View Post

Tdewy, do you mind me asking if you've done any modifications to your truck. (air bags, sway bars, tires etc.) that have helped with towing?

No I have not done any mods to the truck. I am thinking about air bags but will not do that until passenger car tires are changed out for LT tires. Only have about 10,000 miles just can't justify not using them longer.
TDewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #8

Location: Close to North / South Carolina border and Blue Ridge Mountains
The below post comments are music to my ears.

× “318 with a Titan without issues”
× “I believe your Tundra will handle the 318BHS alright. Other members on here are towing theirs with ˝ tons”
× “305res with our 2010 Tundra crewmax.”

Never owning a TT before, trying to determine what a ˝ ton TV safety can tow is a daunting and confusing task. So much information is available on various discussion forums and web pages concerning this subject that it is hard to sift through the varying opinions for each option. We have decided that our TV of choice was also to serve as a daily driver; we narrowed down the selection to a HD ˝ Ton trucks, either a Ram or Tundra that will be purchased later this summer. Naturally we anticipated the need for an anti sway bar and equalizer type hitch, but didn’t think about air bags. We really liked the floor plans and amenities of the larger LaCrosse models but because we thought a ˝ ton TV couldn’t handle the load (7,000lbs) our only PT choice was one of the Tracer models. Nothing wrong with the Tracer, my wife just likes the LaCrosse better. Reading the post has now reignited my interest in the LaCrosse models and I plan on visiting a dealership with good inventory in July to do a walk down and closer inspection. We will not purchase (order) the TT until late fall in hopes of getting a great price like that of “grhodes50”. Does any one out there know if there are plans for the current LaCrosse models to under go a interior face life for the year 2012? We will continue to monitor this forum for great “real user” LaCross information.

Thanks

Rustymax
Rustymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

Go for it, it will work for you
2011: 365
2012: 365
tbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustymax View Post
The below post comments are music to my ears.

× “318 with a Titan without issues”
× “I believe your Tundra will handle the 318BHS alright. Other members on here are towing theirs with ˝ tons”
× “305res with our 2010 Tundra crewmax.”

Never owning a TT before, trying to determine what a ˝ ton TV safety can tow is a daunting and confusing task. So much information is available on various discussion forums and web pages concerning this subject that it is hard to sift through the varying opinions for each option. We have decided that our TV of choice was also to serve as a daily driver; we narrowed down the selection to a HD ˝ Ton trucks, either a Ram or Tundra that will be purchased later this summer. Naturally we anticipated the need for an anti sway bar and equalizer type hitch, but didn’t think about air bags. We really liked the floor plans and amenities of the larger LaCrosse models but because we thought a ˝ ton TV couldn’t handle the load (7,000lbs) our only PT choice was one of the Tracer models. Nothing wrong with the Tracer, my wife just likes the LaCrosse better. Reading the post has now reignited my interest in the LaCrosse models and I plan on visiting a dealership with good inventory in July to do a walk down and closer inspection. We will not purchase (order) the TT until late fall in hopes of getting a great price like that of “grhodes50”. Does any one out there know if there are plans for the current LaCrosse models to under go a interior face life for the year 2012? We will continue to monitor this forum for great “real user” LaCross information.

Thanks

Rustymax
We went through the same thing between the 3150 and 318 Ended up with the Lacrosse for the following reasons:
1. More storage space...pantry in kitchen
2. Heavier duty and larger slideout with sleeper sofa
3. Stronger frame
4. Lacrosse had a nice pull down thing for tv in master bedroom not a swivel tv (I do not care for the swivel tv).

If I were buying a new 1/2 ton I would probably go with the Ford Ecoboost. 11,200 towing capacity with around 4 or 5 hundred pounds more in payload than the Tundra or the Dodge. With a hitch of 900+ that will leave you with only 600-650 pounds for people and camping gear. Just a thought. My Titan has around 150-180 pounds more in payload than the Tundra and Dodge. The Tundra will do it..Plenty of power..you will be a little tight in GVWR of the Truck than the Ford. Dodge Hemi is a sweet engine but they soften the springs to make a smoother ride in their 1500 models.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #11

Thanks for all the information and responses. I was always leaning towards the 318, it just felt 'right' when we first walked into it. Quality over quantity.

We are placing a deposit on the Lacrosse today, should pick up this weekend. First camping trip in a week and a half.....
Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Even though my 1/2 ton pickup tows my loaded 5500 lb., 28.5' Surveyor just great, if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a 3/4 ton truck, or even overkill with a 1 ton truck for a future 5er. I travel near the GRWR of my truck, and wish I had more leeway with that.

Some of the trailers mentioned are going to have over a 9000 lb. GVWR, and are 34 to 35' long. Something to consider.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regland View Post
Thanks for all the information and responses. I was always leaning towards the 318, it just felt 'right' when we first walked into it. Quality over quantity.

We are placing a deposit on the Lacrosse today, should pick up this weekend. First camping trip in a week and a half.....
Congratulations!!!! And welcome to the Crew Officially
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Some of the trailers mentioned are going to have over a 9000 lb. GVWR, and are 34 to 35' long. Something to consider.

While this is true, just looking at the GVWR should not be the determining factor. For instance, take my trailer; the GVWR is ~9500lbs. Just considering this I would highly recommend against most 1/2 ton vehicles towing this trailer. However, the shipped weight is ~6500lbs, definitely doable by most 1/2 tons with the ability to load about 1000+lbs into the TT. So each case should be looked at separately by considering the shipped weight, CCC, and GVWR.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Even though my 1/2 ton pickup tows my loaded 5500 lb., 28.5' Surveyor just great, if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a 3/4 ton truck, or even overkill with a 1 ton truck for a future 5er. I travel near the GRWR of my truck, and wish I had more leeway with that.

He does bring up a good point though, it's not just weight, but length that affects towing. That's a lot of surface area to control if a gust of wind hits it. I'm looking at doing a couple of upgrades on the truck to address any stability, suspension issues. Air bags, rear sway bars, brake pads, helper springs, cold air intakes etc. Which combination of these will have the best results, or for that matter are even necessary, i don't know. More research time for me.

As i stated, the truck will be replaced in 3 years, it's a lease for work. In the mean time i want to make sure it's as safe as possilble to tow my precious cargo.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #16

Regland I am slightly ahead you in this process. I just recently purchased a 22' toy hauler and am towing it with a '08 Tundra Crewmax and I must say it tows very nicely. I haven't loaded the TH to the gills yet, but for the first trip out I towed it over three passes in Rocky's and it behaved beautifully. I am using a WD but have done no modifications to the truck.

My two cent, take it for what it's with.
Nights camped 2011 - 1 (walmart parking lot)
grambo_811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318bhs, tundra