Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Location: Close to North / South Carolina border and Blue Ridge Mountains
Ladders and Bike racks

In viewing forum owner’s photos of their LaCrosse, and those on the PT web site, I notice no rear ladder or rear mounted bike racks. Apparently PT does not offer a ladder or bike rack option, so these items must be dealer options; right? Have any PT owners added either of these two accessories and were there any obstacles to over come? I am also curious as to what modifications, if any, owners have made to wheel chocks especially the X- chock style to accommodate the spread of the EZ tow axles.
Rustymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #2

No info on the ladder or bike rack, but there are X chocks built for the wider axles. I have a pair of them and I am really happy with them. With them and the stabilizers my LaCrosse feels solid as a rock.
Notuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

I made this "receiver". It does not have any holes drilled into the frame of the trailer nor any welds to the frame of the trailer. Two 3/8" plates sandwich the tongue of the trailer with 4 bolts per side.

And then purchased a HollyWood Racks Sportrider 4 Bike rack.

The whole setup works great. No bouncing and I can see them in the mirror!

John

John
foxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Foxhead, that looks pretty good.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #5

Location: Close to North / South Carolina border and Blue Ridge Mountains
Notuck thanks for responding, I located the expanded x chocks and now is in my browser favorites.

Foxhead – I like your setup for the bike rack. I was considering adding a rear receiver to the trailer but I like the idea of being able to keep track of the bikes while driving. I was planning on adding a two battery tray behind the tanks, but I think the bike rack frame can be modified to accommodate both options.

Now for the ladder issue, I am thinking that the internal frame at the rear of the trailer will not support a ladder attachment, hence no dealer option. Further forum research revealed that for some folks, aftermarket ladder add-on, have not worked out too well. So now I’m back to the rear bumper receiver idea. Perhaps a rear receiver that supports a cargo tray can be modified to allow a vertical support arm (post) where a standard folding aluminum ladder can be lashed (tied/ bungeed) too. This way I can reach the roof (if needed) and I can also clean the toppers off. Forum members has anyone out there ever tried this or seen this set up?
Rustymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Another terrific reason TTs stay very popular.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

you need to contact Prime Time and ask if doing a frame mod, such as welding a receiver to it and the bumper, voids the frame warranty.

for most lightweight TTs and 5th wheels, it does.
don't know anything about Prime Time trailers, though.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you need to contact Prime Time and ask if doing a frame mod, such as welding a receiver to it and the bumper, voids the frame warranty.

for most lightweight TTs and 5th wheels, it does.
don't know anything about Prime Time trailers, though.
It bolts around the frame, no welds, no drilling
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #9

RV Guy has answered in a previous post that they DO NOT build their units with reinforcements for ladders.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #10

Having a ladder on a unit seems to send the message that the manufacturer is giving you their blessing on accessing the roof whenever it pleases you. Although the roof is technically strong enough to walk on, it's not a place you should be accessing on a regular basis. I'm not saying you were, but I don't the manufacturers trust the average uninformed customer.

We had our dealer install a hitch on the rear of our TT for about $350. It's plenty strong enough and in combo with our softride bike rack, it's a great 4 bike setup.
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #11

What did you have put on the bumper, a bolt on receiver or weld on? What about the bounce with bikes on it? Will the bumper frame hold up??? I have a tracer and want to take my bikes and found a bolt on receiver for decent $...
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
What did you have put on the bumper, a bolt on receiver or weld on? What about the bounce with bikes on it? Will the bumper frame hold up??? I have a tracer and want to take my bikes and found a bolt on receiver for decent $...
I don't trust the bumper at all unless you have a welder/fabricator beef it up a ton. On our hybrid the dealer welded a rectangular piece parallel to the bumper - between the bumper and the unit. They then welded a square to the bumper and that piece.

clicky

On our current TT, the dealer welded on a whole hitch that kind of looks like a T.

I've had family members follow us and say it doesn't bounce back there but I don't really believe them. The good news is that the rack has been solid for at least 7 years - I forgot when I bought it but I know it was pre DD.
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack