Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Leaky dump valve

Hi there all.

Official 2nd trip in the Crusader this weekend. Pulled from Dallas to Galveston and back -- about 650 miles total. Pulls like a dream. Had another couple stay in the trailer with us. Very comfortable.

Everything great except: Both times out now, when I remove the end cap on the sewer drain, I get a 4-inch column of water coming at me. Judging from the color and (lack of) odor, it's grey water, thankfully. Both dump valves are closed, i.e. the handles are pushed all the way in. The first time it happened, I thought perhaps someone at the dealership had pulled a handle during demo or inspection and filled the pipe. However, I now suspect the grey valve is leaking.

I quickly connected my sewer hose, with a clear sleeve at the trailer so I can watch what's happening. Once the pipe drained, I continued to get a trickle of water. When I open the grey valve, the flow increases until the tank drained and the trickle stopped. The black tank seemed to dump normally.

I'm thinking the handles I see in the compartment are actually extensions (rod or cable of some type) on the actual blade valve, which is located underneath somewhere. I'm wondering if the grey handle is mal-adjusted or mis-positioned and not closing the blade valve completely. Thinking I'll open up the bottom cover and see what I can see.

Any advice?

2011 Crusader 270RET
2008 F-250 Diesel
NottieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #2

You might try "back-flushing" with a water hose. Sounds like the seating gasket is jammed with a popcorn hull or.....something. If the seating gasket or plunger is not aligning, that would cause it to leak. If the back-flush doesn't make for a better seal, remove the gate and have a look. A visual inspection will tell the tale. A new one will cost you somewhere around $15 to $20 bucks.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #3

The valve on our bathroom grey water tank leaks just like yours, although I haven't had a chance to find out what is wrong yet. If it was the black water, it would have been a bit more urgent!
Thanks for reminding me that I need to find the problem. It is nice to have an enclosed underbelly, until you have to fix something!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #4

SIGH: mine is the black water.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

Went out to the shop and took off the cover for the dump valves, or at least tried to. They screwed the side skirting over top of the belly pan cover and this inspection cover as well. So I got it half off, and just bent it back so I could see what the deal was. I guess FR didn't think the bathroom grey water tank would have any big chunks of gunk in it, so they put on a small, and apparently very cheap valve. It looks like maybe a one and a half inch valve. I doubt there is even a seal in it.
And since I would have to unscrew the side skirting in order to get the belly pan off, I think I'll just live with it.
Well, I did know I was buying an 'economy' camper.
But how are the 'cheap' campers made then?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In case you really need to know, it is 1 1/2 inch, as it is in all campers. The 3 inch one is the black tank, the 1.5 inch one is the gray tank. Very easy and cheap to replace the valve, just 4 bolts, if you can get to it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #7

Back flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Went out to the shop and took off the cover for the dump valves, or at least tried to. They screwed the side skirting over top of the belly pan cover and this inspection cover as well. So I got it half off, and just bent it back so I could see what the deal was. I guess FR didn't think the bathroom grey water tank would have any big chunks of gunk in it, so they put on a small, and apparently very cheap valve. It looks like maybe a one and a half inch valve. I doubt there is even a seal in it.
And since I would have to unscrew the side skirting in order to get the belly pan off, I think I'll just live with it.
Well, I did know I was buying an 'economy' camper.
But how are the 'cheap' campers made then?
Give back-flushing a try, it could be an easy fix.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #8

My trailer had the same issue turned out to be the cable was bent too close at the top of the valve. I removed bottom cover and re-routed the cable so it was not bent at the valve made it a straight pull and now it closes completely....

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #9

UPDATE: doh!

My lovely wife ran the trailer back to the dealer to have the "leaky valve" looked at. She got a call from PT the next day (good service, that!). It seems that we have a 2nd gray water tank that we didn't know about and the valve was simply open. The dump handle for the galley tank is NOT in the cabinet with the main gray and black handles -- it's up inside the wheel well. You won't find it unless you know to look for it. I'm thinking of adding a sticker near the two handles in the cabinet with a big arrow and the legend "Dude, there's another handle over there -->".

As Scooter says, "Before success can manifest, you must go through the learning process....."

2011 Crusader 270RET
2008 F-250 Diesel
NottieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #10

One would think your dealer would have shown you that when you picked it up. But then again, it seems they know little more than how to sell them. Actually knowing something about the products they sell seems to be too much to ask.

We also have two grey water tanks, but the valve handles are obvious.