Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Learn me on the hitch set-up

Hello again,
Going into overdrive and more than likely pulling the trigger on a Tracer 3150 BH this week. Now I need to be schooled on a hitch so I'm not at the mercy of the dealer.
I have a 2500hd with the Duramax and the tow package (3.73, class 4 receiver, Trans cooler etc) and I'm looking for the best setup.
What's the difference between load distributing and sway control? Can I get them both in the same hitch? What are some of the adjustments I'll need to make, and how often?
Basically, I need to learn from the bottom so please be gentle, or just link some resources. Thanks in advance.
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

I would start with this......

Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
What's the difference between load distributing and sway control? Can I get them both in the same hitch? What are some of the adjustments I'll need to make, and how often?
Basically, I need to learn from the bottom so please be gentle, or just link some resources. Thanks in advance.
a WDH can have built-in sway control or add-on sway control.
don't buy a WDH without sway control, if it's the add-on kind. these use old tech friction anti-sway bars.

the built-in sway control WDH's are better choices, such as the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

My Reese dual cam weight distributing sway control hitch went on my last TT in 1990, when it was brand new. When I got rid of the camper, one of the things I kept was the hitch, which I transferred over to my new TT. It worked great then, and continues to work very well. The only reason I'd consider switching to a different one is if I get a much heavier TT and can't get torsion bars to fit.
Equal-I-Zer hitches are very popular also. I've never met anybody that owned either hitch that wished they had bought something else.
It is the torsion bars under tension that distribute the tongue weight of the camper. Some WD hitches claim they don't use torsion bars, but when you look at them, it's easy to see which parts fulfill the same function.
Sway control comes in a couple different flavors. There are friction devices that are essentially brake pads held in a frame that a metal plate slides back and forth on. These can be quite effective. Especially on smaller campers. The other style essentially uses the torsion bars and their existing tension, seated in "saddles" to help keep the camper centered. This is more effective on larger units (such as the one you are looking at).
One thing to avoid is purchasing a weight distributing system that is way over rated for your TT. Pulling a camper with a tongue weight of 700 pounds with bars rated for 1500 pounds will result in a very rough ride for the camper, and my break parts. By the same token, an under rated system can result in bent torsion bars. Marketers have come up with some interesting designs, some better than others. Just make sure you don't buy more (or less) hitch than you actually need for your anticipated weight. Technology changes over time, and I've not had any reason to look for a new hitch, so my details may be a bit dated, but it is essentially accurate. Others are welcome to jump in with any corrections, etc.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Simply put, a weight distribution hitch applies upward pressure to your truck hitch and transfers some of the trailer tongue weight to the front axel of your truck. This aides with leveling your truck/trailer combo and makes for a smoother/safer ride.
The sway control is designed to help reduce or eliminate the side to side movement of the trailer (sway) frequently caused a large, oncoming truck. Their wind hits the front of your camper and pushes it toward the ditch, which inturn pushes the rear bumper of the truck toward the ditch, and that makes the front of the truck tend to want to pull toward the left. The anti sway bar helps stop that from happening. A MUST for bumper pulls. IMO! & and just what I experienced when my previous tt was not adjusted correctly.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post

Thanks a ton!!! Great info and cleared things up. Well a little at least, lol.
I hear great things about the Reese dual cam, but that's the sway control right? It seems like the set-up I need is the straight line WD with the dual cam attached? Are they sold separately or can I get a whole kit?
As I'm hoping to negotiate this into my TT purchase, what's the going rate for this set-up, let say for a 1k tongue weight on a 10k trailer?
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

Agewon look into the equal-I-zer hitch. http://www.equalizerhitch.com Simple, effective and no drill install. I used mine on 2 TT's and 10's of thousands of towing miles. I picked mine up from RV Wholesale, free shipping. Self install. Your dealer will in all likelihood sell you their house brand (nothing specifically wrong with that), and most likely overcharge. In either case, do your own research and know what they cost so they do not try and gouge you.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Site Team

X2 on RV Wholesale for best $. The equal-I-zer hitch works great! The toughest part of install is torquing the ball to 450 lbs. Need a thin wall socket for that.
But I have heard the Hensley or Propride are the best.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
Thanks a ton!!! Great info and cleared things up. Well a little at least, lol.
I hear great things about the Reese dual cam, but that's the sway control right? It seems like the set-up I need is the straight line WD with the dual cam attached? Are they sold separately or can I get a whole kit?
As I'm hoping to negotiate this into my TT purchase, what's the going rate for this set-up, let say for a 1k tongue weight on a 10k trailer?

The Reese Dual Cam is both WD and sway control all in one unit. I had mine on 2 TT's and kept it when I traded up to our 5er (dealer said they didn't want it).
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

I have the Reese dual cam. And you are correct it is the strait line WD. On my lacrosse 318 BHS. I drive to Florida from New York every year and it works great. No problems. I hear a lot of people talk about the equalizer but I have never actually seen one in use. When I go places I take note to what people use and the Reese by far is the most popular.
Checkout places on line before you purchase, dealer wanted 800 for it, I found it online for 599..

Good luck, they are not hard to set up and adjust. I would recommend saving your money from the dealer and doing it yourself, I paid the dealer to install mine and it was all wrong, I ended up reading the instructions and re doing it all, and I have it perfect now..

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #11

Just my 2 cents. I have the Andersen and love it.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #12

2 more cents. I had a TT that weighed 6000#. I towed it with a RAM 2500 without sway bar and towed GREAT. The weight of the truck held it in the road with no sway at all.
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
Site Team

I had a 4500 lb unit I hauled without sway bars on a k1500 , but I did have a wdh installed. Without wdh it was white knuckle driving as I did that once.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #14

just as important as choosing the right hitch, is knowing how to use it. I've seen so many people hook and unhook the weight distribution bars with their bare hands. Might as well leave them at home if you aren't going to put tension on them as intended. Plenty of videos on YouTube that will show proper hookup procedure.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #15

Let me add, I did have WDH on the TT.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #16

propride is the best. Guaranteed no sway and lifetime warrantee. little pricy and worth every penny. I pull a 30ft with Silverado 1500 and it pulls like a dream. No more white knuckle trips. Plus the hitch holds it value quite well. my 2 cents.
jerry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #17

Agree with dave1971. Put some weight on WDH.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #18

I have and Equlizer with sway control. Just finished a 3,000 mile trip and it worked great. Would highly recommend. Trailer is 36 feet long and towed well when passed and on windy days.
gtschmidt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #19

I am preparing to set up my Reese Dual-Cam and WD hitch. I have read the instructions several times to make sure I am familiar with everything. A couple questions, do I need to put the normal gear I haul in the bed of the truck (generator, fuel can, etc.) before I set up the WD hitch? What about the gear typically carried in the trailer, including fresh water?
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
Site Team

I would try to get fairly close to my trip travel weight.

Zelda the campin dog

Tags
hitch