Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #21

Midwestgirl are you running your hitch dry, greased or with a PTFE plate?

Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 83002 Fifth Wheel Lube Plate: Automotive
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #22

I began a new thread. I don't have the lube plate but if I should I will get one!

2005 K-2500 Silverado 8.1L 6 speed Allison
Midwestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #23

I installed one of the big levels that mount on the hitch that you can see in the truck mirror when backing up. It allows me to see how level the camper is from the seat of the tow rig. His is a link for camping world
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...-bracket/30939
Old 11-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestgirl View Post
I began a new thread. I don't have the lube plate but if I should I will get one!
You should get a lube plate for sure. The reese revolution is the only one that I know of that you can not use one. I can't open my jaws to unhook unless I set my wheel chocks and bump back which will move you pin forward and then it's easy to pull your pin lock. I learned that the hard way. My dealer never told me that and when I brought my first 5er home I couldn't unhook. Took me 2 hrs before to grown men pulling on it got it open so I can disconnect. Now the way I stated my DW can pull it open like butter. You have to release the pressure off the bar that closes and holds your pin to the hitch....... I like it congrads as you work through this process of leveling and unhooking. Remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.... PS this was also before I knew of this forum. I guess now I'm a forum junkie as my wife calls me. You have great info here nobody will purposely lead down the wrong road.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #25

I have a lube plate now and will put it on my other 5ER I'm picking up next week.
I'm looking at the TRI POD
stabilizers. Who has them and what are my choices in brands? Thanks!!!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #26

There are several brands from what I have found.
Most RV dealers with a parts dept. will have them.
Some people swear by them while others swear at them.
I looked on Craig's list and found some for about half the price of new.
Still not sure if I want the tri pod or something like the Strong arm.
You just bought a new TT did you not?
The tri pod may be the better option if you plan on buying new often that way you can just take it with you.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

From all indications and conversations I've had with folks who've had both is the tripod helps, but the Strongarm type are much better and remove the stowing problem.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #28

"You just bought a new TT did you not?
The tri pod may be the better option if you plan on buying new often that way you can just take it with you."

We won't be buying "new often" but had to make a quick decision to trade our 5ER in on a different model.

I found one Tri Pod in stock locally (Laughlin, Nevada) and was wondering about picking it up. I misplaced the paper I wrote the brand down on but could call them later. I'm thinking it was under $200.

I started out with the Lego type blocks for leveling and now have wood blocks and planks, of course I have CHOCKS!

We will be here until January 2 and then packing up for home, weather permitting back there. I can wait and find the right Tri Pod back there if someone can refer me to a specific brand? Maybe it doesn't matter? Brand wise?

Thank you!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #29

The tri pod will help some to stabilize the trailer, wheel chocks will help more so.
With the jacks in the back the landing legs in front with the tri pod and chocks movement should not be much of an issue.
Side to side first block the wheels then front to back.
Tri pod snug but not enough to lift any and then the jacks in the back.
If you still have the lego blocks try putting them under the steps.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #30

Quote:
I have a lube plate now and will put it on my other 5ER I'm picking up next week.
I'm looking at the TRI POD
stabilizers. Who has them and what are my choices in brands? Thanks!!!
get some JT Stabilizers and wheel chocks between the wheels and you will be solid. I'm one of the people who do not like them. They only help in that forward area, but better then nothing at all...... Also get a step stabilizer or support. You will be surprised at how much that helps walking in and out......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #31

Quote:
I have a lube plate now and will put it on my other 5ER I'm picking up next week. I'm looking at the TRI POD stabilizers. Who has them and what are my choices in brands? Thanks!!!
The tripod we got was from BAL--I have been using their stuff ( X chocks+ other items) for years now. I really swear by this company. They make good stuff and they stand by their product .

Seems to me I got the tripod and a pair of X-chocks for my 5er at Amazon.com for $175.00 . I have found when you install these puppies ( and OCs step stabilizer <G>) your unit is absolutely rocksolid no fore-aft or side to side sway!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling