Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Leveling side to side

When leveling side to side and for example, your right side is low. Do you shorten the legs on left side to help compensate for height difference on right side? We have a Crusader and when the rear is low, we shorten legs in front to compensate. Does the same principle work side to side?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #2

Side to side leveling! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2474.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	82583  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #3

I would like to see what owners are using to Level Side-to-side under the wheels.

I have been trying to come up with a combination of boards / wood etc. but without having to look like a lumber truck just arrived .

Seeking ideas

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I would like to see what owners are using to Level Side-to-side under the wheels.

I have been trying to come up with a combination of boards / wood etc. but without having to look like a lumber truck just arrived .

Seeking ideas

Islander
Look Up! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:

Seeking ideas

Islander

I know a lot of guys are using the Anderson Levelers. We have plastic wedges that max out at about 4 inches.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:

Seeking ideas

Islander

Also, if I am not familiar with campground, I physically walk to the site to see what it looks like. If I am not comfortable, I ask for another site or go to another campground. We did this recently in Virginia. They had me on the side of a mountain and as I walked up I could see all the wood under other campers. I did not have enough dunnage, so we left. Found another campground down the road.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
When leveling side to side and for example, your right side is low. Do you shorten the legs on left side to help compensate for height difference on right side? We have a Crusader and when the rear is low, we shorten legs in front to compensate. Does the same principle work side to side?

The rear Jacks aren't load bearing, just supposed to stabilize and minimize bounce. I keep a small assortment of 1x6 and 2x6's to drive onto to level side to side. You want both front landing gear hitting the ground together as much as possible other wise you'll just twist the camper. Make sense?
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
The rear Jacks aren't load bearing, just supposed to stabilize and minimize bounce. I keep a small assortment of 1x6 and 2x6's to drive onto to level side to side. You want both front landing gear hitting the ground together as much as possible other wise you'll just twist the camper. Make sense?

Got it! Especially with the front jacks. Our camper has a "4 point self leveling system", but we still try to get it as level as possible. We use the plastic wedges under the tires for side to side.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #9

The camp site we are on was really low on the right side, so we weren't sure how to adjust the front legs.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I just use two 2x8 boards 4 ft long. Most of the time it only takes one to level. I avoid sites that are really un level. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #11

I use 10 ton jack to frame on low side
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

We were recently at a SP in Louisiana. The original site they assigned to us was on a slope leading to a creek bed. The downslope side was literally 8-9 inches lower than the up slope side. Even if I had enough plastic levelers to compensate, no way was I going to jack up one side that high. Fortunately, they moved us to a nearby site that was much more level. A couple other campers must have been assigned that site and left as soon as they saw it.
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #13

Lynx levers work for me if site is not too unlevel side to side. Much lighter & easier to carry than a bunch of wood. Have 1 4"x6"x1.5' for tongue jack.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

Thumbs down Bad Park sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
Also, if I am not familiar with campground, I physically walk to the site to see what it looks like. If I am not comfortable, I ask for another site or go to another campground. We did this recently in Virginia. They had me on the side of a mountain and as I walked up I could see all the wood under other campers. I did not have enough dunnage, so we left. Found another campground down the road.

We have been staying in a small park in Colorado for the past three summers, we actually fixed up the site and put in gravel to level it, well this year we were all set to go and the park owner called and informed us he had rented the site we wanted. He offered us two other sites that we knew were not level and only dirt, we opted not to go because of it. Don't think we will return, love the park, love the area but, owner is operating on a shoe string and can't afford to upgrade the sites.
hihosilver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #15

I had some plastic 8"x8" blocks but as they broke I cut 3/4" and some 1/2" 8x8 " to keep them in the bag the plastic came in. Usually one 3/4 will do the job but if needed I add the 1/2". this is for our one night stays.

labarn
labarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
Love RVing

We also use 2x6 just longer than track of both wheels cut 45 degrees at ends to keep from flipping up against the camper as we back or pull onto the board. After side to side we get approximately level front to back then lower the rear stabilizers until slightly higher in rear. Then use front jacks to take tension off tires as we level unit. This keeps bounce to a minimum.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #17

I have some 1X8's and a couple of sets of Lynx Levelers that work very well. I see that there are several other sorts of options but have never tried them (like Anderson Levelers). If you don't want to look like the local lumberyard, you could paint the boards with deck stain or paint so they look nice.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #18

I carry (2) 1x6s and (1) 2x6 all 4 feet long with a bevel cut on one end. If I need more than 3 inches to level, I will maneuver a bit to find the right spot or if none move to a different site.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #19

Even the toughest trailer frames with scissor jacks on all four corners are not strong enough to level with the jacks. Always level side to side and block both axles, not just one. Then level with the tongue front to rear. Then put the stabilizer jacks down. Then check the door opens and closes smoothly to con firm that the whole thing is square. Then set up camp.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #20
GB

We keep a couple of 2x8s in the bed of the truck for leveling. We also have a couple of graduated levels stuck to the trailer so we can tell it's level side-to-side and front-to-back without getting the stick level out.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling