Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Lippert Auto Leveling Issue

Ok so went to move my Crusader and all 4 jacks have been working fine from the keypad, but tonight the driver side front will not retract so I can hook up to my truck. I even tried doing it manually, but the motor spins and the jack does not go down or up, but the other front jack works fine from the keypad. The 2 rear jacks have been working fine as well, anyone have any idea?

It seems the motor is loose around the front jack that will not retract or go down, but the other side is not as loose? I have never worked on one of these so I have no clue what to look for? any help would be appreciated.

I am trying to find a mobile RV mechanic near me as we have a camping trip planned for next Thursday to Sunday.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Mods pls delete I found the issue and will be fixed shortly.....thanks
Old 05-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Mods pls delete I found the issue and will be fixed shortly.....thanks
Glad you found your problem.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 AM   #4

What is the problem???
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #5

Broken gear set in the upper end of the Leg, motor and gearbox would spin but leg would not move up or down, after 3 calls to Lippert found it and ordered replacement gear set, may get another and swap the other side just to be safe as trailer is 3 years old now
Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #6

Thank You good to know
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #7

Yeah I have researched a lot on the Leveling kits and this is an issue with the 2.0, the 3.0 uses round legs, and the 4.0 is Hydraulic so different issues but the quality of Lippert stuff is a little flaky but also found out legs can't be over extended or the gearbox will break.

I have drawn small lines on each leg to prevent this and using Level blocks now to help support the legs so they are never over extended, also learned how to reset the whole auto leveling system since I am the second owner of this Crusader 295, come to think of it I really don't think the original owners used it much, this thing was like New but now on to preventive stuff
Old 05-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Yeah I have researched a lot on the Leveling kits and this is an issue with the 2.0, the 3.0 uses round legs, and the 4.0 is Hydraulic so different issues but the quality of Lippert stuff is a little flaky but also found out legs can't be over extended or the gearbox will break.

I have drawn small lines on each leg to prevent this and using Level blocks now to help support the legs so they are never over extended, also learned how to reset the whole auto leveling system since I am the second owner of this Crusader 295, come to think of it I really don't think the original owners used it much, this thing was like New but now on to preventive stuff
Wicked1

Can you elaborate a little more on the max extension, we just took delivery of our new 2017 Crusader and it has the Lippert 2.0 system. I figure if there will be problems I'm not used to it will be the auto level.

My system has the square legs and the only marking is on the gearbox, Venture Mfg and not a single marking on the electric motor.

Appreciate any info you can share.

Keith
kapnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #9

Just found out something interesting while ordering a new part for my Lippert Ground Leveling 2.0

They have discontinued this system so in 3-4 years when they run out of parts they are not making anymore?

I guess I may need to upgrade to the 3.0 or Hydraulic system after that happens if they don't have the part in stock?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkirk View Post
Wicked1

Can you elaborate a little more on the max extension, we just took delivery of our new 2017 Crusader and it has the Lippert 2.0 system. I figure if there will be problems I'm not used to it will be the auto level.

My system has the square legs and the only marking is on the gearbox, Venture Mfg and not a single marking on the electric motor.

Appreciate any info you can share.

Keith

Ok didn't have the ability to jack up my trailer so got a mobile mechanic to help. Lippert told me to order the gear set bc the motor was moving and shaft going into the leg. When we got it apart we put all the new gears in but the shaft that makes the leg go up and down is messed up at the top. We had to order a whole new leg that comes completely assembled and ready to go.

2.0 is being phased out square legs for the new 3.0 round legs newer parts etc

4.0 is not out yet but they have a new travel trailer version 4.0 and the next option is the more expensive Hydraulic.

I may at some point pay Lippert to install the Hydraulic 6 point system instead of buying a whole new 5th wheel, about a $6,000 upgrade but well worth that money instead of spending all new $ to upgrade. I have been told with the Crusader 295 that it won't make a difference for me though so sticking with what I have.

After speaking with the parts guy he said legs go more often then the circuit boards, but I may just order a spare motor for front and back, extra gearbox for front and spare leg for rear so in case something goes wrong beyond 4 years I have the parts to fix it. We will see how this season goes but one thing I was told about the 2.0 system is Never Ever Extend the Legs far which is most likely what the previous owner did and screwed up the leg I am replacing. People who owned my unit from New just before me, made all sort of 1/2 assed repairs that I have since corrected. He used Butyl tape for the sink drains instead of Plumbers putty and cleaning them and fixing the right way.

We love the layout and colors of our 2013 hence why I didn't go new, also for mid $30's all the features and color options are not there, so we are happy with what we have and just getting it ready for the season now after the leg is fixed.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #11

Wicked1

Appreciate the info, I was thinking something similar about having a spare part or two.

Having just taken the front landing gear apart do you have a maximum recommended length you could recommend?

The mechanic never mentioned this at our delivery, he did say we should power the front jacks down about 10-12 inch's before pulling the pin on the extendable leg so we would have some travel for the nose to come down after unhitching.

Appreciate your thoughts, Keith
kapnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #12

He is about right I pull the pin on the lower feet to slot 7 and now I will use Leveling blocks bc the less leg that is showing makes them a tad more sturdy. Mine just had bad gears that were waiting to blow so not with the new leg on the way I plan to use pin slot 7 and 3 Camco Leveling blocks on each side plus the rubber feet pads under the Leveling blocks.

The less you have stretched out the better.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #13

I put down 3-4 Lynx blocks under both front jacks. Then I release the legs down to about 4" above the top of the blocks. Then I lift the trailer off the truck. That almost always gives me enough down travel to lower and level the front of the trailer after the truck is out of the way.

Does anyone know what the full travel length of the Lippert 2.0 jack is supposed to be?
Nights camped 2016=47 2017=67 2018=53 2019=121 2020=76 2021=106
dennisewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisewitte View Post
I put down 3-4 Lynx blocks under both front jacks. Then I release the legs down to about 4" above the top of the blocks. Then I lift the trailer off the truck. That almost always gives me enough down travel to lower and level the front of the trailer after the truck is out of the way.

Does anyone know what the full travel length of the Lippert 2.0 jack is supposed to be?

I have the Lynx I may add 3 under each front leg and none under the rear to keep the fronts from over extending

Tags
leveling