Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Lippert Ground Control Leveling System - Reset

I have the 4 point lippert ground control leveling system and every time I use it it lifts the wheels off the ground. I am considering using the manual mode and getting the unit level and reseting the system. The manual says to turn the system off and push the front button 10 times and then the rear button 10 times manually level the unit and press enter to finish. Has anybody done this reset and was it successful? Does the system have a level sensor in the controller and memorizes the new level condition or does it base it's level condition on the extension point of the legs?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2015 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel CC SB, Demco 18K Hijacker Auto Slide, Pace Edwards Electric Tonneau, TST TPMS 507 Standard Sensors, Titan 50 Gallon Midship Fuel Tank

2016 Prime Time Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel, Dometic Slide Toppers
KEG_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

Lippert Ground Control Leveling System - Reset

I've done it and it worked. Wheels off the ground should only happen occasionally. As far as how the computer works I would assume it just memorized whatever setting is input. No real sensors or level built in.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Evidently you don't believe the manual Keg 75?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

Yes OC I have read the manual and I do have faith in it. However it is always a good idea to check with those who have experience with the issues you face so you can be aware of any unexpected issues they may have encounter.

2015 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel CC SB, Demco 18K Hijacker Auto Slide, Pace Edwards Electric Tonneau, TST TPMS 507 Standard Sensors, Titan 50 Gallon Midship Fuel Tank

2016 Prime Time Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel, Dometic Slide Toppers
KEG_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG_75 View Post
Yes OC I have read the manual and I do have faith in it. However it is always a good idea to check with those who have experience with the issues you face so you can be aware of any unexpected issues they may have encounter.
Just thought it funny you would ask someone else that had no doubt read the instructions and followed them. I guess, I would assume if there were any unexpected issues that the mfgr would also put a Caution note in the instructions. NO OFFENSE, just thought it was funny.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

LCI has yotubes demonstrating this. Search "Ground Control 3.0"
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

I experienced the same problem. I finally realized what I was doing wrong. When the camper is on a slope I was letting the stabilizers down to far. As the leveling system was doing its thing the low side could not retract enough to make the camper level. Consequently, the other end was being lifted up to compensate. Since then I leave about 4" of air between the bottom of the stabilizer feet and the ground. Have not had an issue since. Same thing could happen if you are not level left to right. I use the leveling system to tell me if the camper is level left to right. If not, I level with some 2x8's and 1x8's under the tires then start the auto leveling system.

2016 PT Crusader 335BHS
2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country
Lskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

I too had the same problem of tires coming off the ground. I resolved it by leveling side to side with either Lego blocks or plastic wedges under the tires. I do use the green dots on control panel and a carpenters level to determine low/high side and then level up. Then we drop the front until the green dot on panel tells me I am low. Hit auto level and it works. Tires stay on ground.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
I've done it and it worked. Wheels off the ground should only happen occasionally. As far as how the computer works I would assume it just memorized whatever setting is input. No real sensors or level built in.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
There has to be a sensor built in since no two campgrounds are the same so it can't just remember that one setting.

When I put mine in manual the display tells me the degrees the front is down or up and the same side to side. When front to back is 0 degrees and left and right are zero degrees you are level. You can reset your auto level calibration at that point. If you aren't sure, put your long level on it.

Keg..keep asking questions. You learned more here than what is in the manual in just a few posts..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

There is a sensor in the system. A front and a rear box usually, if you can find them. You have the control panel, then you have the other pieces (can't remember the name). In our silverback, the front one was in the very front basement ceiling. The other was under the camper in the rear somewhere I think. I might be wrong but I think I remember there being 2 on that system.

We had the level up, but it was the same procedure, 10 of this button, 10 of that, reset, and it might last a few levels, then get out of whack again. Hardly ever went to the same exact spot twice. I don't like them really. I always used manual mode. If you like the gadgets, it's all good. I'll never own an automatic leveling system. Instead I'll spend my $2k to $3k on modifications.

Assuming the systems work, you'll beat me on set up. One hiccup in the system, and I'm sitting under my awning already set up while the others are recalibrating and re-leveling, or I'm going over to help them out. I've seen way to many issues with them. Have owned the LCI, HWH and BigFoot. All had similar issues.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #11

I was told during my PDI that you should never back in and drop the legs and hit the button to lift the 5er off the hitch. I was told to always extend the front legs by 3 to 6 inches then drop the legs and lift it off of the hitch. That gives the front some up and down adjustment otherwise the rear has to adjust to the level to the front jacks height.

Side to side I was told that one sides wheels could come off the ground during leveling and that wasn't a problem and did confirm that though LCI. I don't like to see it and I will normally lift a inch and more and slid some blocks under the tires.

What I do like is being able to push two buttons and returns to last hitch level and i don't have to mess getting just right height.

I was also told that mine were electric and I could store them down and take some weight off the tires and would help with tire life and flat spots. I was also told I lift it one side at time the tires 90 degrees while in extended winter storage.

I never had to reset mine and works perfect.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #12

Here is a extreme front to back level and the wheels are still on the ground. The front jacks were close to fully extended when I took it off the TV and I put 3 lego blocks under the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	628.3 KB
ID:	91111  
Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Here is a extreme front to back level and the wheels are still on the ground. The front jacks were close to fully extended when I took it off the TV and I put 3 lego blocks under the rear.
I agree... the front jacks have to be let out fairly far so the front of the unit drops significantly after unhitching. I haven't had the tires lift off the ground, nor used any 'levelers' under the tires for quite some time. I can't imagine going to another unit and not having automatic levelers now. Once you have it re-calibrated, just keep working with it!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigpdx View Post
I agree... the front jacks have to be let out fairly far so the front of the unit drops significantly after unhitching. I haven't had the tires lift off the ground, nor used any 'levelers' under the tires for quite some time. I can't imagine going to another unit and not having automatic levelers now. Once you have it re-calibrated, just keep working with it!
I agree with you but a couple times that one sides wheels lifted off the ground by as much a inch or two. I know it's fine and it not going to hurt anything but I just don't like it.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG_75 View Post
I have the 4 point lippert ground control leveling system and every time I use it it lifts the wheels off the ground. I am considering using the manual mode and getting the unit level and reseting the system. The manual says to turn the system off and push the front button 10 times and then the rear button 10 times manually level the unit and press enter to finish. Has anybody done this reset and was it successful? Does the system have a level sensor in the controller and memorizes the new level condition or does it base it's level condition on the extension point of the legs?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Check on your sequence........to recalabrate, I always manually level the unit FIRST. Then perform the calibration steps (following the on-screen prompts). I use a long level on the floor at the entry door or kitchen counter when manually leveling.

Egg test: If the egg rolls off the counter, something ain't plumb!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #16

We have almost completed a 2500 mile trip to Pigeon Forge, Williamsburg, Jamestown and Washington D.C. in our 2014 Crusader. (Our first long distance trip in this unit) The Ground Control Leveling System has been cycled 6 times on the trip. It has operated satisfactorily until this morning at Pigeon Forge. I connected the trailer to my truck , then retracted the front legs until the motors stopped. The left leg was max up but I noticed the right leg was about three inches from up. When I touched it, it fell to the ground. I wound up removing the two bolts clamping the unit to the trailer and raising it up high enough for the inner strut/leg to fall out so we could pull it home. The jack screw appears to have broken where it attaches to the drive gear but I'll have to further disassemble when I get home to know for sure. Can you imagine what would have happened if it had waited until we were on the highway and then dropped to the pavement with the pad on it at 70 mph? I would guess the legs have less than 50 total operating cycles on them.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Other issues during the trip have been: light fixture in bedroom, switch has welded itself closed so bulbs had to be removed, seal on shower door has failed allowing water to leak on floor, shower enclosure is so thin that I bumped the lower soap dish area with my knee and put a crack in it large enough for water to leak into wall area, as well as black plastic material on both large slides wearing away. Electric water heater
also works intermittently.
It's a shame how lousy they are built considering how much they cost!
rrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #17

[QUOTE=rrickett;1023466]We have almost completed a 2500 mile trip to Pigeon Forge, Williamsburg, Jamestown and Washington D.C. in our 2014 Crusader. (Our first long distance trip in this unit) The Ground Control Leveling System has been cycled 6 times on the trip. It has operated satisfactorily until this morning at Pigeon Forge. I connected the trailer to my truck , then retracted the front legs until the motors stopped. The left leg was max up but I noticed the right leg was about three inches from up. When I touched it, it fell to the ground. I wound up removing the two bolts clamping the unit to the trailer and raising it up high enough for the inner strut/leg to fall out so we could pull it home. The jack screw appears to have broken where it attaches to the drive gear but I'll have to further disassemble when I get home to know for sure. Can you imagine what would have happened if it had waited until we were on the highway and then dropped to the pavement with the pad on it at 70 mph? I would guess the legs have less than 50 total operating cycles on them.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Other issues during the trip have been: light fixture in bedroom, switch has welded itself closed so bulbs had to be removed, seal on shower door has failed allowing water to leak on floor, shower enclosure is so thin that I bumped the lower soap dish area with my knee and put a crack in it large enough for water to leak into wall area, as well as black plastic material on both large slides wearing away. Electric water heater
also works intermittently.
It's a shame how lousy they are built considering how much they cost!
We bought the unit from a couple who had used it three times and decided to buy a motor home and sell it. Since it was used I have no warranty and Dealer/Prime Time won't take any responsibility for anything.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #18

Update on the failed Lippert Ground Control System leg.
We made it home safely, but Rv is still attached to TV. Disassembled drive unit and found sheared 7/32" drive pin on jack screw. Called Lippert and after explaining situation to Tech Support Engineer, and even though we bought the RV used with no warranty, he agreed to ship me a new leg assembly no cost. There are still some decent folks out there. Thanks Lippert!
Now if we could just get Prime Time to admit they have an issue with the slide roller surfaces underneath wearing excessively and do a recall on all of them.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #19

We are looking at the ground control system for our 8258RKWS. On my last trailer we had a Lippert Level up 6 keg hydraulic. On for the first systems they sold with the controls on a chord and no auto level. I had stick on levels on front and side of 5th wheel. It was no trouble at all to level the 39 ft 14000 lb trailer. I personally really liked the manual leveling as there were no issues and I did not have to worry where the remote was as it was always attached. Insert the key and push the button up or down.
Sometimes less complicated is better with less to go wrong.
Regards
Wayne
wfwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling