Old 12-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Location of tank Sensors

5th wheel 2013 Crusader 295 RST:

Has anyone found, located, replaced the sensors in the Black / Grey / Galley Tanks?

I want to replace mine (Bought unit New, black and grey are not working properly)

Don't want to cut up the under belly on a search and destroy mission ;-)

if anyone knows, or has replaced these sensors could you tell me the point of attack.

Thanks!

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 PT Crusader 295RST TE
GeoArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #2

If by "black and grey are not working properly" you mean they are not reading empty when you know the tanks are empty that, unfortunately, is par for the course. "Stuff" sticks to the sensors when the tanks are drained and then they give inaccurate readings. The black tank tends to be more problematic than the grey tank, but an improperly maintained grey tank will give false readings eventually. There are literally hundreds of threads on these forums about tank sensors. You can use the search function to find them and see how others have dealt with the issue.

KeithInUpstateNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Site Team

If they are standard sensors, they are inserted through the sides of EACH of the mentioned tanks... so they are not all in the same place. You might have to drop the coroplast bottom covering IF you must get to all of them. But first, you should see the info. in post #2.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 =111; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #4

Tank Sensor Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithInUpstateNY View Post
If by "black and grey are not working properly" you mean they are not reading empty when you know the tanks are empty that, unfortunately, is par for the course. "Stuff" sticks to the sensors when the tanks are drained and then they give inaccurate readings. The black tank tends to be more problematic than the grey tank, but an improperly maintained grey tank will give false readings eventually. There are literally hundreds of threads on these forums about tank sensors. You can use the search function to find them and see how others have dealt with the issue.

Not Working Properly = Reading 1/3 - 2/3 full when empty.

I plan to REPLACE the sensors (Grey and Black, Galley and fresh work for the time being). All cleaning , geo methods did not work. I have a black tank flush that I do every dump. Gauges worked for the first 3 years, last two, not so much.
I'm trying to get a idea exactly where the tanks are located (and what side of the tank the sensors are located) so I can minimize cutting the under body plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213.../dp/B00YJIB7WE

as you can see replacing the sensors would require a bit of access to unscrew and replace 4 for each tank, so if I could get a idea exactly where the tanks are located on a Crusader 5th wheel 295RST from someone who has tackled this before.

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 PT Crusader 295RST TE
GeoArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

On my trailer all four sets of sensors were on the road side of the trailer. About middle of the tanks. Located next to the drains.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #6

Apologies, I misread 2013 as 2018 and you said you bought your trailer new, so I thought it was new this rl year. So my response was off base, but I don't seem to be able to delete it.
KeithInUpstateNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #7

Doubt the new sensors will be accurate for three years, not worth the trouble IMO. I never look at mine, have not for years. I've never been bored enough to consider a replacement.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #8

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9652...v+tank+blaster

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #9

You were lucky that your OEM sensors DID work reliably for 3 years ... like mentioned 80% of us don't rely on them ... we just know about how long we can go before the tank is near full. I agree, the sensors are on the street side of your RV. I may be wrong, but I think you're going to have to drill new holes as the OEM sensors are not mounted the same way the Horst sensors you linked us to ... at least my OEM sensors are not. The wiring will interchange though.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #10

Screwy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoArm View Post
Not Working Properly = Reading 1/3 - 2/3 full when empty.

I plan to REPLACE the sensors (Grey and Black, Galley and fresh work for the time being). All cleaning , geo methods did not work. I have a black tank flush that I do every dump. Gauges worked for the first 3 years, last two, not so much.
I'm trying to get a idea exactly where the tanks are located (and what side of the tank the sensors are located) so I can minimize cutting the under body plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213.../dp/B00YJIB7WE

as you can see replacing the sensors would require a bit of access to unscrew and replace 4 for each tank, so if I could get a idea exactly where the tanks are located on a Crusader 5th wheel 295RST from someone who has tackled this before.
Umm, the OEM sensors are not likely to be screwed in. They are usually "spin-welded" in. The sensor body is tapered (cone-shaped) up to the last segment which is straight. An undersize hole is drilled in the tank. The sensor body is started and driven with a socket on an electric drill. The heat caused by friction melts the plastic enough to allow the sensor to fully seat. When the rotation stops, the plastic solidifies into a water-tight seal.

I wouldn't attempt to add/change sensors unless one was leaking, but if you proceed, you would probably be best-advised to leave the old ones in place and install a new one alongside each old one (to get the height right).

Larry

Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, tank