Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Lock issues on 2012 Tracer Touring Edition

Hello,

Went to the RV dealer yesterday where they are storing my Tracer 3150BHD to show my dad and uncle as they were excited to see it. The rep took us out to the trailer and when I tried to use my keys to open up the door(s), I had trouble with the keys on almost every lock. The rep ended up using his master key and successfully opened the locks and then attempted to explain to us that the trailer had never been used and that its cold and all I should need to do is spray a dry lube into the slots and everything should be fine.

My dad flipped out on that response and said that they should replace the locks. Awkward situation for the rep, but it was 30F outside and we were all cold standing around frustraited over the situation.

So, I turned to the forums and checked out lock issues. It seems that the storage locks are the cheapest type used on RV's/Trailers. I do not have the "CH751" lock, but the rep explained that there were numbers on the hatch lock that also matched the number on one of the keys. Anyway, the deadbolt on the main door & outside bathroom door seemed fine, but the second lock (next to the dead bolt) was more challenging like the hatch doors. Should I have the dealer replace the locks on the hatches under warranty or is it pointless and I should simply buy some better locks like the combi lock or the Industrial Hardware replacement locks.

Thanks, Joe

2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2012 Tracer 3150BHD Touring Edition
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #2

What you're experiencing is frustrating, but really not unusual. Sometimes it's the keys, not the locks. Mine seem to get easier over time as the keys get some wear on them. Some type of lock lubricant can help as well.
At least that's been my experience with a couple of tt's I've owned.
You can contact PT if you think you need to. They'll help you get any issue resolved.
Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #3

Lube helped mine significantly.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #4

Took our LaCrosse in for some warranty issues, went to unlock the door with the key and couldn't geet the key to go into either of the locks and they looked like they had some corrosion on them. It was the first time we had tried the keys, we had been using the remote key fob. Dealer is taking care of it along with most of the other warranty issues. The LaCrosse appears to be a great trailers, just needing a little attention to some items. Both our selling dealer (230 miles away) and a local Forest River dealer and the Prime Time factory crew are taking very good care of the situation. Way more plus's than minus's with the LaCrosse over some of the other brands that we looked at and considered.

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #5

I used Kendall solid lube (mostly paraffin) on the keys and worked it into the locks, after which the locks worked smoothly. They were stiff before using it. You also need to push in on the baggage doors to take the tension off the latches to make them easier to open (and close)
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #6

JoeyO
We have same RV and my locks broke 4 hrs after taking delivery. They replaced front door assembly it works now BUT I'm only one who can open door it's takes man strength to pull lever to open. I'll be taking it back again to get it replaced or adjusted. Also my Ac vent above stove area (rd one not big sq one) doesn't blow any air.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Site Team

I got two sets of keys with my trailer and one set seems to work better than the other set but both will get the door open. The storage bins are very picky about how much pressure is applied. I ordered two more set of spare keys and they work the same. In time the key gets easier to deal with.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Vols,

Im begining to see that this is no different than buying a house, you need to stay in it to discover all the ins and outs to know what works and what doesn't within that first 90 days.

I'm jonesin to get in it for more than an hour as my 90 days are end of March and they said they would store it till April, so I don't think I could take it out for a weekend and still be able to bring it back under the same terms, but I need to ask. I wasn't thinking I'd use it in February, but I should probably look into it. Could save me some further headaches.

2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2012 Tracer 3150BHD Touring Edition
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote