Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Looking at a Crusader 315RST - questions

We are looking at moving over(up? down? or whatever) from a 2006 Glendale Titanium to a Crusader 315RST being that they are close to the same length and about the same weight. We haven't reached any financial agreement with the dealer so it's still in the air. Now, with that said, what kinds of problems have been discovered with these Crusaders? I'm more then aware that there are always a few aches and pains and take those in stride. But are there real major problems. Do these trailers use Lippert frames? Any reports of weld or frame rail cracks if those are the frames used as have been seen in other brands (Cougar, Wildcat come to mind and even the last couple years of Titanium). Tires - the unit we were looking at had an unknown to me brand of tires Towmaster's. A quick on-line look doesn't make them sound good. Any comments? Reefer is a Norcold. Last I've read and heard (from others) is that they are still having some recalls. Yes, Dometic have had some issues too. Any comment? Who makes the Quiet Cool air conditioners?

Thanks for looking
Old 06-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

We have had our 14 crusader 315 for 6 months love it. There was a recall on slideout bracket that you wanna make sure was completed. My only other gripe is the bathroom door is awkward. You have to go into the bedroom the turn around and open the bathroom door. I tell my wife a pocket door would be awesome but don't think it's doable with the rounded corner on wall. No frame issues to my knowledge. Ac works great and fridge is great too! Goodluck
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If it has the Darco Wrap on the bottom it would be a deal breaker for me. I have it on my 2013 Crusader 330MKS. Go to the post started by Platokidd title "Slideout/Underside wearing". That post was started months ago and Prime Time has not acknowledged that it is a problem or responded to any of the posts.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
If it has the Darco Wrap on the bottom it would be a deal breaker for me. I have it on my 2013 Crusader 330MKS. Go to the post started by Platokidd title "Slideout/Underside wearing". That post was started months ago and Prime Time has not acknowledged that it is a problem or responded to any of the posts.

I have a 14 crusader in this model and don't have darco. I doubt his does either since the 315 model was just realized as a 14
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Dave W ,
First off welcome to the forum! Your in the right place (forum) and kudos for doing your homework first!
I think primetime makes a good unit, better then most. (grading on the rv qc curve) if you get my drift.

Hopefully you wont have any big issues, but more likely you will have some sort of issues.
Like tiggerdad I will never buy another unit with darco wrap crap on it!
I do think you might be lucky as PT starts to move away from that garbage product.
Todouble dont have that darco on his new unit except for on the edges if I remember right, they used darco tape there.
Read the pt section of the forum for sure. I can say PT has been good to work with on most all of my issues. (darco another story)
Good luck!
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the positive replies on the Crusader 5ers. We spent a bunch of time this morning in the 315 as well as the 325. The 325 is just too big for our needs though I do have enough truck, '11 F250 CCLB 6.7 diesel with their 5er option. We were quite impressed with the products for the most part. Now, if our dealer can sharpen his pencil a bit more and get some dollars closer to the real book value of our current Titanium, we'll probably take the plunge.

As far as the slide bottom material - I looked at the bottom of the bedroom slide and that's where I have some concerns but did fail to mention in my opening post. Our current Titanium has a BAL Accu Slide bed room slide with some sort of a 'plastic' bottom that has 3 lines of cracking where the rollers run but are now covered with 1/8" aluminum strips and possibly a fix for those of you that have a material failure. While I'm not really that familiar with the Crusader problem, this is what many of the Titanium owners have done:

Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

I'm surprised a similar sized titanium is similar weight. Always thought the glendales were quite heavy. Our 295rst is 8900 dry for a 32ft 3 slide trailer.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
I'm surprised a similar sized titanium is similar weight. Always thought the glendales were quite heavy. Our 295rst is 8900 dry for a 32ft 3 slide trailer.
Titaniums got really heavy about 2008 when Glendale added a bunch of 'stuff'. Our 28E33TS is 34' 2" and 'conveniently' stickered at 9999# where the 2014 315 is stickered at 9986# but only about 3" less in overall length. I'm guessing ours is well over 10K pounds dry with a 2x80 watt panel solar array (which would be transferred) along with some other semi permanent add ons I've installed
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #9

Well we just blew the coffee fund and decided that even being a bit longer then we were looking for, the 325RES had more of what we were looking for in a new 5er - especially for a bit less then $2K more. We are doing a partial seasonal at a small CG so now have to drag the Tiatanum home to unload and return the original furniture. The new one is a late build 2014, but it has a 2015 interior so guess it's a 2014.5 - but it still has crummy Chinese tires. With that said, I'll probably be here fairly regularly
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Well we just blew the coffee fund and decided that even being a bit longer then we were looking for, the 325RES had more of what we were looking for in a new 5er - especially for a bit less then $2K more. We are doing a partial seasonal at a small CG so now have to drag the Titanum home to unload and return the original furniture. The new one is a late build 2014, but it has a 2015 interior so guess it's a 2014.5 - but it still has crummy Chinese tires. With that said, I'll probably be here fairly regularly
Well that 'deal' went down the drain!!!! The dealer's finance guy decided that he wasn't going to supply a couple low buck minor items that they said they would - that ho-hum gas grill and a pair of rear scissor jacks. Back to the ol' grindstone and some more looking. We still like the Crusader 325RES, but dealers ....... The '06 Titanium is unloaded - so it will get a good clean up, in and out, then put back into service until we find what we want though at another dealership. Dammmmmmmittt
Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #11

I agree that I don't play with liars. If they would let the deal go for a couple throw away items there is something else afoot. Best to find a dealer that plays fair.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 07-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Well we blew the coffee fund and ended up buying a 2014 Montana 343RL High Country. Is it a better choice then a Crusader 325RES??? Only time will tell. Both are similarly equipped but the Montana is a bit longer and with 4 slides is a fair bit larger inside plus the bathroom door hinges in and a second entrance from the bedroom were positives vs the Prime Time offerings. Other then that, I can't pick the Crusader apart. It almost was a flip of a coin.

I guess with this admission, I probably am not really welcome here

Thanks for listening while we were looking
Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #13

You'll love the Montana. Very nice. Give the front cap a really good coat of wax several times a year. They seem to fade if not kept up. Enjoy

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Well we blew the coffee fund and ended up buying a 2014 Montana 343RL High Country. Is it a better choice then a Crusader 325RES??? Only time will tell. Both are similarly equipped but the Montana is a bit longer and with 4 slides is a fair bit larger inside plus the bathroom door hinges in and a second entrance from the bedroom were positives vs the Prime Time offerings. Other then that, I can't pick the Crusader apart. It almost was a flip of a coin.

I guess with this admission, I probably am not really welcome here

Thanks for listening while we were looking
Dave your always welcome here, as you need not own a fr product to be a member!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #15

Irish - as I write this, the trailer is in dealer's body shop for a paint job and new graphics on the front cap as it had already faded. I'll be visiting there tomorrow to make sure they are doing it right and with the correct base and clear paint.

Platokidd - thanks. I might just do that as the Keystone site doesn't seem as well organized at only first couple wander throughs as a lurker.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #16

You need to join montanaowners.com it's great.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon View Post
You need to join montanaowners.com it's great.

I've looked at that and it continues to come up Error 404
Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #18

Try
http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/active.asp

tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #19

Well let's see what happens. I registered. They don't make it easy .....
Thanks

Tags
crusader