Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #1

Loose Shower Wall Liner

The shower wall liner in my new 290 is separated from the wall at the bottom. How does the factory attach them? If feels like possibly two sided tape. I was going to use a dab of silicone but I thought that it might stick too good then. Any info is appreciated.
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #2

Mine did the same thing. I just filled the gap in with some calking just want to keep water from getting behind there.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
The shower wall liner in my new 290 is separated from the wall at the bottom. How does the factory attach them? If feels like possibly two sided tape. I was going to use a dab of silicone but I thought that it might stick too good then. Any info is appreciated.
Are you talking about the gap between the wall and tub?....mine has that as well and i was told specifically NOT to seal that gap by 2 diff techs?....

Or are you referring to something else?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Are you talking about the gap between the wall and tub?....mine has that as well and i was told specifically NOT to seal that gap by 2 diff techs?....

It's not a gap. The bottom of the liner (wall panel) is loose. It sticks out an inch or two at the bottom in the middle. When I push it in it sticks for a very short time like it is held in with two sided tape. I might try a dab of caulking however I think caulking the whole bottom to the base would trap moisture behind the wall.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj

Do you know why they say not to seal that gap? I was going to seal/caulk my new 2013 tub/wall looks like water can get under that gap.
Firefighter938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter938 View Post
Do you know why they say not to seal that gap? I was going to seal/caulk my new 2013 tub/wall looks like water can get under that gap.

If these units are similar to residential ones and water gets behind it and you seal the bottom the water can't get out. Usually the side walls sit on the base and the base has a lip that goes up the wall about 1/2". If you seal it off moisture can get trapped behind the unit and deteriorate the wall.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
If these units are similar to residential ones and water gets behind it and you seal the bottom the water can't get out. Usually the side walls sit on the base and the base has a lip that goes up the wall about 1/2". If you seal it off moisture can get trapped behind the unit and deteriorate the wall.
Makes spence to me! I'll hold off for now and keep an eye on it to see if I get any water behind it next year. Thanks for the info. Last hybrid did not have a full surround.
Firefighter938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #8

Plastic rivits for F.R.P board
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Commercial Member

I'm pretty sure Smokin has a request into our Service group on this issue. I'll let them respond, but I wanted to add to this thread that we do NOT recommend sealing the transition between the bottom of the Surround and the top of the tub. The idea is for any water and moisture to run back into the tub if it gets behind the wall.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
The shower wall in my Lacrosse 301RLS is "detached" from the "kitchen" wall from the base to about half way up. There's a large bump that you can press back against the wall and it "sticks" for a few seconds and then pops back (giving the impression of double-sided tape behind it). It was sticking out from the shower base about 1". I asked the dealer to check it out and they inserted one of those plastic rivets shown in Crusaders post above. This keeps the bottom of the shower wall in place but the rest of it stills bulges unacceptably. I wasn't too pleased with the rivet solution as there's now a potential leak area in the rivit hole.

I also noticed that the shower glass walls seem to move a lot during transit as they are only secured where the glass meets the trailer walls - they tend to flex at the "angle" joint near the door. I pointed this out to the dealer and he drilled through the door tread (and shower base) and added 2 screws. It stops the walls moving but again causes long term concerns for undetectable leaks.

When I take the trailer back to the dealer for the next round of warranty fixes, I'll be asking them to confirm what they are planning to do before I agree to it. There's already several items that I've decided just to fix myself as I think I'd spend more time (and do a better job?).

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #11

(Dualsport: I asked the dealer to check it out and they inserted one of those plastic rivets shown in Crusaders post above. This keeps the bottom of the shower wall in place but the rest of it stills bulges unacceptably. I wasn't too pleased with the rivet solution as there's now a potential leak area in the rivit hole. )

I have used rivets for years on F.R.P. in wet area's. If installed with a dab of silicone before placing rivet into hole, it becomes water proof.
But the most important thing is, that you are happy with the repair.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
Commercial Member

FYI - we DO NOT screw the bottom of the glass enclosure into the shower pan for obvious reasons. Yes, that does allow it to move a little, but we believe it's better than having holes in your pan.

PTM
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
DS ADV Rider

RV GUY - I agree, but the dealer just did it without my knowledge. The reason I noticed the walls were moving in transit is that after the first 4 hour drive, there were black scuff marks in the pan right beside the angle join. That in itself wasn't a problem and I figured I'd just put a dab of Silicone at each corner. Just wish the dealer had waited to discuss the minor items on my list, as requested.

Crusader - Hopefully the dealer did use silicone. In general, I'm VERY happy with the trailer.

Bob
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Plastic rivits for F.R.P board
My shower was leaking from water running behind those type of rivets.
Tried applying silicone caulk over and behind the rivets, but the caulk wasn't sticking to the shower wall, so water was still leaking down between the walls .
The roommate cut Eternabond. tape into 2" squares and applied it over the rivets and shower wall using a roller.

So far it looks as if the leaks have stopped.
I opened up the fake cabinet doors on the back side of the shower and had a fan blowing on the damp walls and floor for over 24 hours.
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
Commercial Member

I've attached a photo showing the rivets we use in our application. They are slightly different than the photo above. They require a 1/4" hole.

These have been used in our industry for 20 years in combination with double sided tape by just about every manufacturer.

What has changed is that the Shower Surrounds are way more intricate in design. They are no longer "flat" (and ugly). Intricate tile-looking designs are universally being incorporated. This makes it more difficult to make sure your tape is sticking on all of the high and low spots. Consequently, more rivets are being used to help keep the Surround flat.

More than anything this is an FYI since this thread seems to have lots of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Rivets.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	20532  
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Got mtn bike?

Yea, the rivets were not to blame for the leaks.
The leaks were due to the corners of the tile like designs not allowing the rivet heads to fully seat against the shower wall.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
FYI - we DO NOT screw the bottom of the glass enclosure into the shower pan for obvious reasons. Yes, that does allow it to move a little, but we believe it's better than having holes in your pan.

PTM
I was back at my dealers yesterday with a new problem - the black tank flush handle broke off beside the sewer hose hookup (who designed this with handles hidden up inside the skirt and under the wardrobe slideout) - and mentioned that PT do NOT use screws on the shower base to hold walls in place. He said he did that "as that's the way the factory does it now".

Don't think I believe him but didn't argue - I'm just going to remove screws and reseal the holes.

Bob
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis662 View Post
My shower was leaking from water running behind those type of rivets.
Tried applying silicone caulk over and behind the rivets, but the caulk wasn't sticking to the shower wall, so water was still leaking down between the walls .
The roommate cut Eternabond. tape into 2" squares and applied it over the rivets and shower wall using a roller.

So far it looks as if the leaks have stopped.
I opened up the fake cabinet doors on the back side of the shower and had a fan blowing on the damp walls and floor for over 24 hours.
Well the 2" squares didn't hold due to the flexing of the shower wall and the rivets.
So 1st put caulk around the rivets, put 2" squares over the rivets and then 4" squares over the 2" squares.
Hopefully that will work...?

Behind the bathroom, you can see how the shower wall has pulled the 1/8" plywood wall held only with small stables off the studs.
There is water stains, but hopefully no water damage.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy
I'm pretty sure Smokin has a request into our Service group on this issue. I'll let them respond, but I wanted to add to this thread that we do NOT recommend sealing the transition between the bottom of the Surround and the top of the tub. The idea is for any water and moisture to run back into the tub if it gets behind the wall.

PTM
Oops. I sealed my trailers surround this summer. I thought I did a great job too! I was afraid water would get down there but I guess it's he opposite. It still doesn't seem right it isn't sealed but I will try to remove it next year.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #20

www.npcsealants.com/900.htm
Apply Solar seal caulk into hold before installing F.R.P. rivet. If your using a tub and shower caulk, it will not hold seal because of R.V. road movement. Most siding retailers sell this product.