Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Lug Nuts

Having worked in the aircraft industry for a number of years, US Air Force, Grumman Acft., Lockheed, I have decided that having the lug nuts on our new Crusader 270 RET might be better if they were actually safety wired in placed in conjunction to being torqued. The center wheel caps are a real pain to get off without some kind of damage done to them....and checking the lug nuts often is really necessary on this unit. Therefore, I am searching here locally for a lug nut that is already drilled for safety wiring. If not I can take the ones currently installed and have them done.
Has anyone else thought of this safety feature?
LKicklight

Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

If I was at 20,000 feet with my camper, I might start researching this mod.

While I have seen lug nuts come off, in every case they were not properly torqued.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forest River 2012 019.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	12439  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

That sounds like more trouble than it is worth to me. I also think that lug nut torque may change in relation to heating and cooling of the brakes during a trip. If you had them torqued and wired so you would not be checking them, it might be detrimental to proper maintenance. This is just my thought, I might be totally off the mark here. But you asked, "Has anyone else thought of this safety feature?" Short answer no, not until you brought it up.

Interesting post though, I will be watching it.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Not to my knowledge. In my 56+ yrs of driving, I have never had a lug nut come off. On our last 3 trailers with alum wheels, once the lug nuts and wheels were seated (usually 3-4 re-torques) I have never had one that lost torque and I check them at least 2x a yr. I doubt you find any on the market and IMHO it would be a needless expense. Also, the safety wire will only keep them from coming off and not stop a loss of torque.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Drinkin beer on the beach

Safety wire is soooo sexy.

While it doesn't serve the same purpose, big rigs have been using these for a while...

and the pointy arrow ones, too

Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
H2oski

I have never had a wheel that was properly torqued 25, 50, 100 miles come loose. Years ago I had a boat trailer wheel come loose within 50 miles of install. It was installed with a 4way lug wrench. Gooooooood-N-Tight.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #7

Lugs

When we purchased the Crusader, some of you may remember that the lug bolts were not coming all the way thru the lug nuts...RVGUY and I finally figured that the lugs nuts that come with the optional aluminum wheels were not the right depth for the lug bolts...Now we have the new lugs installed, but like I stated, the center caps have to removed from the wheel to gain access to the Lug Nuts, this is of course to make sure the lugs remained torques properly, in most cases the center cap gets broken and will not stay on the wheel. The safety wiring is an over-kill, I grant that..but safety.
We too have pulled our 03' Sunnybrook all over the country and never had a lug not come off or fail, so we do have some experience. Also have had many hot rods, airplanes and never had the problem./
We are just un-certain enough with the lugs on the new crusader that leaves us, well un-certain as there performance over the long haul...
We are heading out for an extended trip shortly, we will check them again going and coming.
Do appreciate the comments and suggestions..Hit the Road
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

I just left the hubcaps off until the nuts were seated and then put them back on. Now I take them off maybe once or twice a yr. We do have the 06 model wheels on our 2012 Flagstaff and the caps are not difficult to remove. One phillips screw and a tab on ea wheel.